Game-Labs Forum

Exploding ships? Fire?

Given rarity, and the voiced concerns of one's own vessel blowing up under your feet... How about if any cataclysmic explosion trigger was only for NPCs? We'd still get the spectacle but not the WTF.

Baggy

I like the suggestion, but I still think that if you have a fire on board and don't divert personnel to fighting it, then after a given amount of time, you'd have an increasing risk of explosion.  Maybe, after 10 minutes of an un-attended fire, you'd have a 5% chance of explosion for each minute after that, and after 15 minutes, you'd have a 10% chance each minute (or something like that, I just pulled numbers out of my back pocket there).  If you're actively fighting the fire, it would be good to have a 0% chance of explosion, with the idea being that you'd flood the magazine or somehow bar the fire from reaching it.  This is not 100% accurate, but would be a small concession to prevent the WTF concerns.  Of course, for every minute, from the time of ignition, the fire should be weakening your boat, putting guns out of commission, etc. so that people would have a good incentive to fear being on fire and fight it.  In practice, this might limit the cataclysmic explosions to NPCs (which could have a different rule for if/when they exploded) and those taking a risk to get that raking broadside on the enemy and ignoring the fire just a little too long.

However I'd assume it would've added a tiny bit extra resistance to the hull if any cannon ball was to strike it - albeit I do remember reading somewhere that the sheets were only approx. 1 mm thick, in which case the added resistance would probably be close to non-existant :P

Yeah, good one...take some aluminum foil, attach it to a bit of plywood, and go to a shooting range.  Any difference if you take that foil off?  Didn't think so.  But, you're right: there would be added resistance! :D

• Like 1

Hasn't been discussed, but I at least like the idea of damage/possible fire if you're too close to any ship that does explode (possibility of figuring out the effects of fireships in the future open world game?).  Unless you're grappled up trying to board the exploding ship, you probably wouldn't spring a plank under the waterline or anything, but the potential for your rigging to catch fire from burning debris would be pretty high.

Spontaneous explosion should only occur as a sort of random-chance coup de grace for ships that were already beaten into submission, completely disorganized. That will keep it in the game for a very rare spectacle, without throwing off the results of any battles.

• Like 1

Hasn't been discussed, but I at least like the idea of damage/possible fire if you're too close to any ship that does explode (possibility of figuring out the effects of fireships in the future open world game?).  Unless you're grappled up trying to board the exploding ship, you probably wouldn't spring a plank under the waterline or anything, but the potential for your rigging to catch fire from burning debris would be pretty high.

Yeah I was told this was the place it was being discussed.

I mean the shock wave from the exploding ship at the battle of the nile was so powerful it was heard well inland and the shock wave washed over the entire fleet like a wind.

• 1 month later...

Greetings fellow Sea Dogs!

I am new to the game and the forums and I must say that I am happy to have found a game that introduces the beautiful Age of Sail again.

I have recently heard that there is a lot of controversy surrounding the implementation of ship's magazine hits whose random nature has a lot of players worried.

As such I would like the chance to give my opinion on the matter and make a few suggestions as to how an implementation of such mechanics could work and offer a compromise between realism and gameplay.

First off, I think that a vital factor of every battle at sea like a magazine hit should not simply be pushed aside. But let us also realize that such occurences were not all that common.

A cannonball that penetrated to the magazine would not always cause an explosion.

Here are my ideas on how this issue could be handled/simulated:

1. A critical hit to the magazine is only possible once a ship's outer hull has suffered enough damage.

2. A critical hit to the magazine depends on a (low) percentage chance that goes up as the outer hull takes increased damage and deteriorates.

3. Implementation of "Hardcore" settings. Every player gets to choose if they want magazine explosions to be a factor in sea battles. In a situation where one player attacks another player, the attacker needs to play by the settings of the defender.

In all mentioned cases, the magazine has actually to be hit for a chance of an explosion to occur, of course.

Magazines were below the waterline and were the most well protected part of a ship - having read every book I've come across on 18th naval warfare,  

the only accounts I've heard of a magazine exploding was after a fire getting out of control. 
  • Like 1

I just read a description the other day of the insane things that were done to protect the magazine. Wet blankets with holes in them to pass cartridges out, static-sapping rugs so sparks wouldn't be generated, and the only light inside was from lanterns OUTSIDE the magazine, shining through thick glass.

I was sailing my Vic in a fight yesterday. I took very light fire at the beginning on my left side that did no armour damage at all, but I lost my pump, magazine and rudder right off the top. As it is now, those things are far too easy to take out. I agree that the ship should have to take a certain amount of damage before these systems can really be threatened. Something is wrong with the current damage model in this. Perhaps 4.0 will be better.

A big NO to randomized magazine explosions. I don't care how small the chance is. Even 0.0000001% probability of explosion with every shot is just plain nonsense.

Magazine explosions had two causes that we can pin down.

One cause is fire that gets out of control.

The other is a freak accident. Ships sometimes blew up at the wharf. In game terms, we can model this sort of accident abstractly, as a result of chaos on a badly-damaged vessel. Say, after a ship loses a critical amount of guns and crew, magazine explosion becomes a possibility. This way, explosions will be a thrilling coup de grace for a ship that has already been effectively defeated, not frustrating fortune-of-war event.

I would also say no to randomization of magazine explosions. I would say yes to:

• randomized fire on a ship (perhaps), or alternatively some tiny hitboxes like lanterns, or galley, that if hit have a probability to start fire
  • fire that spreads and does significant damage to sails if they catch fire.
  • very lucky bow rake (when magazine is exposed) - say smaller ships, or stormy seas a guy in Constitution (which is on the bottom of the wave) sails just in front of nose of Santi (who is on top of the wave), thus exposing magazine to a rake. In this case, skill would pay off (however at a great risk due to shockwave / burning debris catching Constitution sails)
  • alternatively fire could start as a result of heated shot from a fort (in rare occasions with biggest forts that would have heated shot capability). In those cases the fire probability would be quite high if a cannonball hits the ship (due to them being difficult to extinguish)

...however, practically I am not sure how quickly explosions could be put in the game, as doing so would require modeling of damage states (and explosions) for the ships (as opposed to texture changes where cannonballs hit at the moment), which is very high amount of work for a rare (however gratifying though) scenario.

Fire, on the other hand might be much simpler

• 1 month later...