Game-Labs Forum

Hotfix for patch 9.97: Land in port battles

admin

2 hours ago, Kiithnaras said:

Based on these initial numbers, if a port is uncontested but attackers don't bring mortar brigs and instead use fast ships to take all three points quickly and then just back off to let things cap on their own, the fastest one will flip a port is just under 14 minutes (6 points every 5 seconds). With the addition of a few mortar brigs to take on towers and forts, This allows uncontested port capping down to around 6-10 minutes at the very least. Still pretty reasonable, all things considered, and in many ways still on par with the rapid port flips of uncontested ports that we have today. It's a solid design and should go far. The only suggestion I can think of at this time to add on top of would be point capture/defense XP and gold rewards. Perhaps award XP and gold to captains that participate in point captures and a slow trickle of the same for remaining in a controlled capture circle.

Edit: Also, add a 10-point bonus for each enemy ship that escapes the battle. It isn't worth as much as sinking or captures, but in forcing enemy ships to flee, you're making it easier to take the port.

But that also allows for a small team to defend to in such case.  The other team has to controll to regions to get points.  Well if you stop one group and sink them it slows down the timer.  Than you go after a second group the third might have to pull off and go support them.   Than toss in one mortar brig to help the defenders he can take out the attackers mortar and well some ships.  Now that I think of it for the low pop battles that would work.  The problem is more when you have a high pop nation attacking a low pop and they will just steam roll them no matter what.  Some of these stupid alliances are killing the servers (both of them).  

I do like the small bonus for escaped ships.  It's annoying when they run and than escape even though they have numbers.  To many ships want to run instead of fighting.  This will make it hurt the team more when folks do it and maybe they well get them to stop running. Well we can only hope.

• Like 1

With update now happening, we aussies will still be locked out of any chance to have PB's, thats why we have left in droves.

Im hoping the mechanic might change so all the globe can participate we will see because if its not fixed before release its doomed.

Edited by BallsOfSteel
spelling

This sounds like it could be either good or really really contrived and artificial, losing all immersion and sense of realism. I hope not!

Counting numbers of ships here and there and moving ships around according to some artificial point system doesn't seem natural. PotBS had a very natural feel to the PB: kill all the defenders before the battle timer runs out -- you win. This seems highly unnatural, and very much like an arcade game, at least the controlling arbitrary patches of water bit anyway. At some point it becomes almost like a math puzzle. I suggest the points generated from controlling arbitrary circles should be fairly small. The constant juggling of position to keep the computer score-keeper happy should be minimized. Maybe swap from three circles to two: One close to port, and a larger one surrounding the first one. At least those are natural-feeling, meaningful places. The points from blowing stuff up should be relatively large if you want it to feel natural and intuitive. Just my thoughts.

Only Way pbs will be more inclusive is to open up raid pbs for the smaller ports inside a region and allow successfully raided ports to generate hostility to help a port be pushed into conflict.

(from an earlier post of mine - if the region has 4 sub ports each port is attackable every 12hrs or so to open up non eu timezones. Making raid-able port attack and defence a national objective opening up all time zones) 

• Like 2

Too bad that the hostility system is still so goddamn unappealing that it's hard to excited about doing PBs despite looking forward to land for so long.

This PB was complete BS. Sorry, but it was.
Circles where in favor for defenders, Attackers could not even get to any circle and fire a single shot when defenders got their 1000 points and won the battle.
If you want to get cap points like BF3 style you cant favor one side. They must be balanced.

Edited by koltes
  • Like 1

Capping all circles also is way too overpowered. They need to give maybe half points. Rest should be killing stuff.
In reality you put 1 first rate in front of city and it smashes it to peaces. Your new PB mechanics means forget 1st rates battles. If you dont want them in your game remove them. All useless now.

+1 for this server rename into - PVE2

• Like 1

So the first PB ended in less that 15mins, and I was one of the very few players able to shot 2 boardsides.

To be honest, this PB was totally f***ed up by the server up (30mins late due to update), and the fact that everybody was discovering the new rules. So don't go into conclusion too early about this new PBs.

Nevertheless, I think you shouldn't earn so many pts with captured zones. It leads the battle to end very quickly without any fight, just with racing. I wasn't figured out Naval Action was a regatta game, m I correct ?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

And the defenders started to capp with one zone at the start of the battle.   Though you had to control two before you get points?

you have to control more capture zones than enemies. So if they control 1 and you control zero - points for that zone start ticking. 

4 minutes ago, Pelennor said:

So the first PB ended in less that 15mins, and I was one of the very few players able to shot 2 boardsides.

To be honest, this PB was totally f***ed up by the server up (30mins late due to update), and the fact that everybody was discovering the new rules. So don't go into conclusion too early about this new PBs.

Nevertheless, I think you shouldn't earn so many pts with captured zones. It leads the battle to end very quickly without any fight, just with racing. I wasn't figured out Naval Action was a regatta game, m I correct ?

First of all maintenance is always longer when patch is deployed and it was players who requested narrower no-pb window to allow more port battles times for some timezones. Because maintenance was longer today - pb started late.

regarding fast capture - i am sure part of the problem is that the mechanic is new. 

9 hours ago, admin said:

you have to control more capture zones than enemies. So if they control 1 and you control zero - points for that zone start ticking. 

We couldn't not get to ANY of the circles before they got 1000 points

Edited by koltes
  • Like 1

Just now, admin said:

First of all maintenance is always longer when patch is deployed and it was players who requested narrower no-pb window to allow more port battles times for some timezones. Because maintenance was longer today - pb started late.

Yeah, I know, and that's why I ask ppl to don't take this horrible experience to be representative of the further ones. Lots of players in my nation are very upset of what happened.

• Like 1

On 19-12-2016 at 2:17 PM, admin said:

Battle result screen camping fixes

Battle result screen camping options were reduced. For the discussions on this topic please visit this thread 

When the battle is over you will now have 2 options:

• Exit to open world within 5 mins
  • Exit to the nearest friendly port

If you don't exit to the open world in 5 mins then you will only be able to exit to the nearest friendly port. 
This feature solves 2 important problem - sitting in BR screen to deny battles, wasting time for you and those chasing you. And camping in BR screen to attack unsuspected players from the safety of the BR screen. 

Combine this with that screening humbug and this game is toast.

Logging out in BS is not a good feature, but now conquest will be dead. Well, maybe not for some, but it will be for most.

Edited by Kloothommel
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, admin said:

regarding fast capture - i am sure part of the problem is that the mechanic is new. 

All you have to do is move the window.  Right now there is a big window of 4 hours you can't do any battles before maintenance.  Why are we starting port battles when maintenance/patches still can happen.  Right now now US Players can't even play on there prime times.  That is why these battles where flipped late.

and new return to friendly port will mean every one runs and than they will never fight. FREE PORT HOME.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

7 minutes ago, Kloothommel said:

Oh, here is another one: Cheap teleport home button.

tag AI and teleport to friendly port to escape attackers. Win button.

Great patch, much win, many good, so wow.

feature was voted for by the community and for me it solves more problems than your supposed "much win"
if you escaped you escaped + many hours saved for small group players and their gankers. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, admin said:

feature was voted for by the community and for me it solves more problems than your supposed "much win"
if you escaped you escaped + many hours saved for small group players and their gankers. 

I'm in a trader, I see enemy ship coming. I tag AI and kill AI to escape. Enemy ship cannot attack me now!

PS: i voted against/No. Not my patch.

Edited by Kloothommel

Just now, Kloothommel said:

I'm in a trader, I see enemy ship coming. I tag AI and kill AI to escape. Enemy ship cannot attack me now!

It was like that before the feature. It just worked differently and was wasting time. 
You attacked NPC but waited for an hour in the battle result screen or were forced to log off using alt f4. Attacker also wasted time waiting for you outside. 

Roe is not yet final and battle entry might be adjusted soon based on findings in the admiralty events. You might be able to reinforce that AI in the future as it was before the instantly closed battles. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, admin said:

Your player base is sinking at a very dangerous rate. Last patch brought some PVP back and voila server population went up. It tells me that more PVP brings more players. Is it not?

I hate to say this, but 90% of your community that stayed are PVEers.
90% of those who left are PVPers.

If your development team can see this then your aim is to make PVE game which means I'm outta here.
If your development team can't see this then somewhere your polls, surveys, feedback are letting you down

Edited by koltes
  • Like 2