Game-Labs Forum

Paint-Schemes Customizable Feature for Ships

One thing I would love to see is captain customizable ship-colour/paint-schemes.

I would love Naval Action to implement a feature, much in the way that PotBS did, and did well (barring the garish hues of hot-pink and lime green they allowed), where - selecting from a realistic colour palette - captains are able to customize the paint scheme of their ship's broadsides, gun-deck tiers, wales, undersides of hull and perhaps masts and fighting tops? (Perhaps this could be done for a small fee in game).

Geoff Hunt, marine illustrator-extraordinaire of Patrick O'Brian's books as well as many others, describes in detail what pigments were available aboard ships of the era and how they were made in his book on painting the HMS Surprise (which I have and would be more than willing to transcribe or scan for the devs if they are interested): black, browns, white and off-whites (to tan), red and yellow ochres (with of course orange in there), soft greens, and smalt blue (which, he said ranges from a dull ash to a rich royal blue, depending on the quality of the pigment).

It could be accessed from an interface in the captain's cabin (if this feature is implemented) as some players here have discussed before, I believe.

Were the devs considering implementing this at some point or at a later date?

• Like 5

I'd second this.  It would add a lot of individuality to the boats.  If they could have general design options (such as solid side color vs. gunport stripes vs. gunports painted different than the stripe), then select a general design, then the colors for each section.  That would definitely help distinguish all the Victorys and Constitutions we're sure to have!

Hopefully the developers will chime in on this. I do hope for the ability to choose the color scheme for my ships to make them my own. Using your idea of realistic pigments of the era would be a way to moderate the game and keep it true to it's original vision while allowing for personalization.

• Like 1

Original plan was this. All ships on release of the game will be just plain colors of wood (except for stern and certain lines on the hull). Players will receive paint buckets as loot, as mission rewards or by other means. Some paints will be extremely rare. 

Alternatively ready paint schemes are sold or drop as loot. It is easier to do and easier to control. We have not yet decided on the final method. 

• Like 5

Only i want to say, that, never all ships of the spanish navy weren´t red, only the Santisima and the Real Felipe, so please don´t paint the spanish ships with red color.

http://www.todoababor.es/vida_barcos/nav.htm

» Different types of design paintings of Spanish ships .

2dmb535.jpg

the type of pattern to paint the ships was already regulated in the Royal Navy since 1776 and in subsequent ordinances that left to the discretion of each commander or engineer stockpile paint a ship outside the established norms. But these rules were not always met and often painted ships was quite different to what should be a desired uniformity , in many cases following the prevailing fashion in the navies of other countries. It is also true that these cases had occurred more often before the official or in the early stages of the same regulations .

Thus we have the picture ( F) of a ship of the line of the early eighteenth century. Batteries are not highlighted with any background color and the black paint is limited to a thick black stripe on the waterline . At that time is not yet forraba copper the hull , which is painted, usually white , the same .
Illustrations ( C , D and E) represent different paint patterns , adopting the black helmet on all of them and only changing the design of the yellow line of the batteries, which could range from a fine line between the bridges , only one battery or both totally apart.

2yl7ojk.jpg

• Navío español de 74 cañones de finales del siglo XVIII. Imagen del Museo Naval de Madrid. Este navío muestra uno de los patrones más utilizados por todas las marinas de la época y que perduró hasta finales del siglo XVIII

These types of design are based on paintings or engravings of the time , usually prior to the ordinances of 1776, prescribing paint the vessel as shown in figure (B ) , and was not changed , with one exception only authorized periods by Rey (see Santisima Trinidad ) until approximately 1810 that the white color was adopted to replace the batteries wore yellow , as shown in the illustration ( a).

By regulation had to repaint ships every two years, but this was subject to many uncertainties , that made the ships could not be painted in such a regulation, and that gorgeous , glossy color with leaving stockpile could reach become , with the passage of time and the harsh marine conditions , into something entirely different . The yellow color of the batteries could be just in the memory or in an off color so far seem that the ship did not have their lines marked batteries. Thus, in times of Trafalgar some British viewers noted that several Spanish ships looked completely black on the sides , with the Santa Ana and San Justo two of these ships, which could well be the cause they were the last ships unsized speeding and probably did not even repaint time , figuring its almost invisible yellow bands in the distance. However , there was also the same time of Spanish ships commanders who paid out of pocket cost painted , not detract against the French ships .

Sorry for the translation, i made it with google translation

• Like 1

Original plan was this. All ships on release of the game will be just plain colors of wood (except for stern and certain lines on the hull). Players will receive paint buckets as loot, as mission rewards or by other means. Some paints will be extremely rare. 

Alternatively ready paint schemes are sold or drop as loot. It is easier to do and easier to control. We have not yet decided on the final method. 

While both sound awesome, the second may just be best in terms of development time, bugs, etc.

Also, they should look better in that a pre-defined skin would be bespoke to the ship, whereas the custom colours may end up going the way of POTBS and it's colour-blind shipwrights.

Yeah I especially hated the painted sails they had in POTBS. I don't think they were realistic.

You would be very correct too.  To the best of my knowledge, the practice of decorating the Foresail was almost exclusive to the 15th and 16th century Spanish and Portuguese Vessels, and it was only ever the Foresail that carried the respective cross.  In the time-line we'll be fighting in, the practice was not really popular, and considered a waste of resources like extra canvas and dye.

What would be nice (as @akd mentions) would be personal flags.  Just a little swag item.  My family coat of arms would look very nice on a personal flag (or even on the stern gallery).

Again, not a necessity - just steer clear of the Hot Pink and Chartreuse sails.

Well agree that paited sails not looks great but on the other side sailing with my society sail pattern make me more proud:) Maybe its good idea to make sails in few natural shades of canvas which will to pick by player/shipbuilder in future, and allow players/society leaders make own sails patterns approved by admirality or GM. Same with flags this was one of the best feature in PotBS imo.

You have my vote, I think its good for the game if it takes effort to get anything done including painting ships.

• Like 1

Besides the initial painting, are there any plans for maintenance costs for the boat (beyond battle or storm damage)?  I could see paint weathering/wearing out eventually if not reapplied, or speed decreasing if you don't pay to careen once in a while due to hull growth.  This would in turn provide other things that players could purchase in game for perks, such as increased speed and a longer time before careening if you buy a copper plated bottom.  Heck, without maintenance the hull strength could even decrease over time due to rot and caulking working its way out below the waterline.  Obviously, larger boats would come with larger maintenance costs.  It might help provide incentives for sailing smaller ships for a while instead of us all going for that super frigate or SoL.

• Like 3

I am not a fan of maintenance costs. Especially time based ones unless they are based on how often somebody plays.

Again Mechwarrior Online used to have repair costs and they dumped it because casual players could not keep up.

Basically if the maintenance costs were based on how much the actual ship was used and not if you leave it in your ship bay.

Then possibly I would be ok with this.

it also begs the question of how this would work for skirmish battles.

I am not a fan of maintenance costs. Especially time based ones unless they are based on how often somebody plays.

Again Mechwarrior Online used to have repair costs and they dumped it because casual players could not keep up.

Basically if the maintenance costs were based on how much the actual ship was used and not if you leave it in your ship bay.

Then possibly I would be ok with this.

it also begs the question of how this would work for skirmish battles.

Im a big fan of Maintenance cost.....But I have to agree The Amount of Time In Game should be the Basis for your  maintenance cost.

Lets say ship X will cost you X amount every so many "In Game Hours".

This way the Hardcore vs Casual gamer will be paying the same amounts for time played.

• Like 2