Game-Labs Forum

The 2 minute timer cannot stand!:

well, you fought for something that ruins the game for the majority of the games player base. Blocking people from joining battles in a game like this is a recipe for a fail game. People play this game to fight in battles, 2 minute timers take that away for most players. whats left for your average player is a gankfest for them. I never had a problem with 5 minute timers I was able to play the game just fine, sometimes I manage to get to battles, sometimes I didnt, but 2 minutes is absurdly low and it really should be rolled back at the very least to 3 or 4 minutes.

You say you literally cant move 5 minutes in any direction from any port without running into fleets of scary men but you also say everyone is looking for pvp .

If everyone is out looking for pvp why are all these scary men chasing you? Of course i know that they are all waiting in port for you to get attacked so thwy can wait and gangbang the guy picking on you but yoy seem to think everyone is looking for pvp.

Why arent all your guys looking for pvp attacking this endless river of scary fellas at every port? Is it only tje ports you currently sail from that they all apeared? Maybe have all these good guys sail with you since they all want pvp just like you.

Mods, can we please close this topic as it's almost identical to the one asking to bring back social?

If you sail solo

-- Don't sail ships you cannot run from others with. Save SOLs for port battles!

-- Counter tag & know your best point of escape (Google escapometrix, too tired to post the link)

If you are crying now about 2 minutes being too short, just wait until it's changed to where everyone in viewing distance gets pulled in, and the battle instantly closes, the 2 circle idea admin posted.

If you are crying there is not enough PVP bc of short timers, get your buttocks OUT of port & onto the OW. Sail beyond your capital area. Go to other national areas. Explore the BeAuTiFuL map.

If there are too many gankers around, get a group together of mixed ships, via nation chat, or maybe even global chat, and go get them!

• Like 1

Funny that OP is bitching less than you actually do. Are you mature enough to see that and get better?

As for the 2 min timer i really think that capitol waters should be safer than they are now (maybe by expanding protected area, because rookies area is a bad idea in my opinion). As for the rest of the OW, 2 mins should be ok.

Well Borch i told him i was done trying to give him advice but he continued to quote then argue so i simply answered his questions as any person should do.

Hope thats mature enough for you. Considering pretty much everyone agree with me i would think my advice could have helped the poor guy. I thought that was real mature to offer someone who constantly calls me a ganker ( which is so ironic it cant be expressed ) advice if he would simply let me know.

But like i said im done with him and ss long as he dont quote me then ask me a direct questions i won't bug him.

..mature enough for you Borch?

Edited by Mrdoomed

The problem, or some of the problem, would be solved by making BS cloaking impossible.. No ganking fleet would be able to sail to enemy waters, hide in BS (as in bull shit screen) and then jump out, magically appearing near a juicy target.. That problem WON'T be solved with the new RoE mechanic.. That way ganders would have to brave the perilous enemy waters with the risk that should actually entail.. I raid from time to time myself but I do not consider the current gankers to be neither good players, nor good for the game..

Even if we accept the "2 min rule" as realistic (which it ain't) then we also have to accept that cloaking is unrealistic and disperse with it - forcing ppl out of battlescreen no matter how "hungry"/"tired" or late for work they might be - BS excuses btw.. I don't mind losing to a better player - the current mechanism (and the one they introduce) however only favors the attacker with no real option for nations to send out patrols etc 'cause this game has cloaking devices but apparently shuns from the sci-fi of lasers.. And I want lasers if I have to accept cloaking devices..

Thank you... it is a language thing.  I feel if you use the wrong word you can draw a completely different picture than what you are intending. 

Now I have the PERFECT solution for everyone on the timer thing.

Get rid of the timers and the open world sailing.  Everyone will sail everywhere in the battle scale, it will take days to actually sail from Jamaica to Charleston US.   If you see someone in this world you can either try and sail away or deal with them.   If you can deal with them before they have friends show up great, if not oh well.

Pretty close to how it actually works in REAL LIFE!!!  They don't get a cool battle screen to drop into from the real world to fight a ship.   They have to fight in the world they are actually in.   If the nearest friendly ship is 2 days sail away at best speed... well you better hope you can fight for 2 days and not sink.

In this solution ppl can't turn invisible either so as long as I don't get lasers I second this proposal..

The problem, or some of the problem, would be solved by making BS cloaking impossible.. No ganking fleet would be able to sail to enemy waters, hide in BS (as in bull shit screen) and then jump out, magically appearing near a juicy target.. That problem WON'T be solved with the new RoE mechanic.. That way ganders would have to brave the perilous enemy waters with the risk that should actually entail.. I raid from time to time myself but I do not consider the current gankers to be neither good players, nor good for the game..

Even if we accept the "2 min rule" as realistic (which it ain't) then we also have to accept that cloaking is unrealistic and disperse with it - forcing ppl out of battlescreen no matter how "hungry"/"tired" or late for work they might be - BS excuses btw.. I don't mind losing to a better player - the current mechanism (and the one they introduce) however only favors the attacker with no real option for nations to send out patrols etc 'cause this game has cloaking devices but apparently shuns from the sci-fi of lasers.. And I want lasers if I have to accept cloaking devices..

They also need to get rid of the teleport machine with the claoking device and find a way to solve the biggest gankers of all. The port hugger teleport monsters.

While i.do enjoy being able sail without suddenly 25 brits popping outa nowhere to kill me they need to solve the port cloaking problem with the bs cloaking one.

They also need to get rid of the teleport machine with the claoking device and find a way to solve the biggest gankers of all. The port hugger teleport monsters.

While i.do enjoy being able sail without suddenly 25 brits popping outa nowhere to kill me they need to solve the port cloaking problem with the bs cloaking one.

Totally agree, the TP's ought to go.. A lot more would have to actually work in order to trade or fight..

But if cloaking doesn't go away.., then I want lasers..

Bold statement, now back it up!btw, you have circlejerked the "cloaking device" expression so hard I'm not sure what it means, especially regarding ports.

Nothing bold about it.. The 2 min rule is - if I've understood the various proponents of it correctly - "realistic" due to the presumption that if u join a battle from OW it would req ur ship to sail something like 1500 km/h which is obviously not that realistic.. That point is valid.

However two simple reasonings goes against this argument having any value in game:

1) the presumption assumes the ships sails in a line with an average of 11 kn.. Most battles both 300 years ago and now in game don't sail in a straight line, and most certainly not at 11 kn on average.

2) the presumption assumes the battle instance to be real time. It ain't, tacking a SoL in real time would take painstakingly long and any notion that battle instance is realtime is simply uninformed and moronic.

So as far as I'm concerned the 2 min timers are as realistic as cloaking devices (which we have in game) and lasers which we're sorely lacking.. The final remark u make I simply do not understand, pls elaborate on it..

Bold statement, now back it up!btw, you have circlejerked the "cloaking device" expression so hard I'm not sure what it means, especially regarding ports.

By cloaking device he means, I believe, people appearing out of nowhere due to just leaving a battle and those that may use the battle screen as an exploit to gank (1 player outside while everyone waits inside waiting for a word on a vulnerable ship).

Thank you... it is a language thing.  I feel if you use the wrong word you can draw a completely different picture than what you are intending. 

Now I have the PERFECT solution for everyone on the timer thing.

Get rid of the timers and the open world sailing.  Everyone will sail everywhere in the battle scale, it will take days to actually sail from Jamaica to Charleston US.   If you see someone in this world you can either try and sail away or deal with them.   If you can deal with them before they have friends show up great, if not oh well.

Pretty close to how it actually works in REAL LIFE!!!  They don't get a cool battle screen to drop into from the real world to fight a ship.   They have to fight in the world they are actually in.   If the nearest friendly ship is 2 days sail away at best speed... well you better hope you can fight for 2 days and not sink.

It would be awesome if there were no battle instances but combat on OW. But I think admin or a mod once posted it would up the system requirements too much for the game, or something to that effect. I'll take battle instances and their bugs over not being able to play NA on my laptop. :/

1) the presumption assumes the ships sails in a line with an average of 11 kn

Never seen that as a presumption for 2 min timers. When we fought for 1 min timers we wanted true OW visibility WYSIWYG. We did draw range tests with best wind and as far as I remember it is 75 secs from draw range with best wind to an instance. 2 min timers actually allow for ships outside drawrange to enter battle with optimal wind.

2) the presumption assumes the battle instance to be real time.

Nobody with a clue acts like instances are real-time. It's a crazy mix of mixed ( ;) ) time compressions that work for playability (speed, sails, turning, yards, reload).

pls elaborate on it..

If you don't want to clarify what you include in your snarky "cloaking devices" expression, that's fine with me. I sailed the OW when we really did have cloaking devices, are you simply referring to battle screens?

I'll take battle instances and their bugs over not being able to play NA on my laptop. :/

It's acually server limitations. But more importantly, who wants to sail for 8 hours south from Matthew town to reach a fight just east of Saint-Nic? A full-on realtime thing with sailing ships would have to be in a map of a pond.

• Like 1

It's acually server limitations. But more importantly, who wants to sail for 8 hours south from Matthew town to reach a fight just east of Saint-Nic? A full-on realtime thing with sailing ships would have to be in a map of a pond.

Wouldnt bother me a bit. They could break the map into zones you can teleport fromnone zone to another once per day and go from there.

Its not like people was ut sailing the carrebean every day. They had settlements homes, forts and family alot of time. Thier entire career was spent in one region and hard travel of the open seas was for tough men of a rare caliber.

So yes i think real time travel with no instant battles would be great and more fun and being able to use fast travel ince a day just to change it up if you wantes could give you that change without a days travel.

Of course nobody would play a game like this but it would be great fun and realistic. I wouldnt even be against an auto pilot captain so yiy could sail afk but if youre caught of course youre gonna die.

So I just lost my ship from a group of guys in an elite gank fleet right next to a port. I am not salty or mad about it, but what I am is without a ship to even play the game. I told them that I was new and was trying to get established by doing missions but they do not care. They wanted blood, and of course they won easily as I was outnumbered 5 to 1.

I just started a new faction on PvP1. I have no ships and no gold and was given a starter 1 durability Bucentaure to try and get established by doing missions. Well, I just got tagged right outside of a port before I could get my ship in, Guess I need to WIGGLE WIGGLE a little harder to get the option to join port to show up! Now I am down to a basic cutter. Because I lost this ship right outside a port that I couldn't get into before getting tagged and pulled into combat, I am no longer able to do missions to acquire money to get my economy rolling; I am down to a basic cutter. Why this is a problem is that the 2 minute timer caters to the hard core well established player and is relentless, brutal and unforgiving to new players. These gank fleets stalk waters that should be almost assured death if they sail in, instead, they get to gank with impunity with almost no risk. Also, I was 1-2 ports away from my Nation's capital.

Anyone who thinks the 2 minute timer is a good idea, your a fool, and this game will die. If I an experienced level 50 crafter at max rank cannot get his economy rolling because of viscous and relentless gank fleets, no new player will stand a chance.

Now, I am probably not going to have much difficulty recovering from my lost ship because I have a clan that can easily replace the the lost ship. But for the new players who finally just got their constitution, or 3rd rate, how long do you think their patients will last as gank fleets keep taking their ships from them that they are unable to replace over and over right outside ports that are literally a 2-5 minute sail away from the capital?

I'll be brave enough to say it....

You sound like you might need some better decision-making skills.

I'll be brave enough to say it....

You sound like you might need some better decision-making skills.

I'll be brave enough to say it...

You are a shortsighted fool and you and MrDoomed and several others on these forums are some of the most toxic players I have ever encountered in a video game. 

You offer little in the way of meaningful content and do nothing but troll the forums.  You disrespect anyone who has a differing opinion than you and you are closed minded.

• Like 1

You are a shortsighted fool and you and MrDoomed and several others on these forums are some of the most toxic players I have ever encountered in a video game.

You offer little in the way of meaningful content and do nothing but troll the forums. You disrespect anyone who has a differing opinion than you and you are closed minded.

lol

If only you knew words and definitions and stuff. Any ive already said your on your own and dont care that you cant play and wouldnt say anything to you unless you quoted and insulted again...what a shock .

Enjoy all your poise and grace and great skill at the bottom of the sea.

You offer little in the way of meaningful content and do nothing but troll the forums. You disrespect anyone who has a differing opinion than you and you are closed minded.

lol

If only you knew words and definitions and stuff. Any ive already said your on your own and dont care that you cant play and wouldnt say anything to you unless you quoted and insulted again...what a shock .

Enjoy all your poise and grace and great skill at the bottom of the sea.

Im trying to understand. If they extend the timer to 5 mins, they will have to extend the battle join timer when popping out of port past 5 mins to avoid the gank squad groups sitting in port hiding & waiting which there used to be (I've been playing since November). I can see you wanting more reinforcements, but unless they are on the OW already, they still cannot help you. If you want to PVE safety, don't do it in front of a capital. Find some other place where few go, my suggestion is a free port in the gulf but as I don't pve much, I may be wrong.

Or, pve safely on the PVE server. There is enough money in PVP or trading that you do not need to do missions for money. I have 2 mil from PVP, yes that's not as much as all the tobacco farmers and such, but it is more than enough.

Edited by Anne Wildcat