with chain

with grape?

Rudder - masters voice

Small adjustments would be said:

• Wheel about easy starboard 2 points
  • Wheel about easy larboard 2 points

Full rudder would be said:

•  
  • Wheel about hard all the way starboard (full right)
  • Wheel about hard all the way larboard (full left)

Loading the guns

left guns - leftenant 3

right guns - leftenant 4

forward - gunners mate 1

rear - gunners mate 2

Firing the guns

Pipe to survival - gunners mate 3 and then whistle

- accents:

To be completed...............

I could help. I have an Australian accent which is not much different to a NZ one.

They say that the NZ accent is closest in the world now to what an English accent was believe it or not.

• Like 1

I guess the problem with this though is that you would need a voice system repeated for every nationality as well.

I would want to hear french rather than English when playing the French.a

As for Voice attack I would look at it. But really want the game itself to be known for this feature. Otherwise its yet another thing the lay gamer

will not experience.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for my english.

I was thinking about need of audible signal for example: first battery ready, second battery ready, guns aiming complete, sail and rudder position reached, collision warning. Crew or subofficials voice and/or whistle.

You can too ask situation when the guns are not charged and you press fire button, someone tell you the seconds left.

Second in command or petty officer can repeat with voice the orders that you transmit via keyboard too.

The idea is that we could control the battle and manouvering without visual markers.

I know too that this can make too audio clutter in some situations. I only write here for take the better that you like that is doable.

By the way, can you make the rudder stay on intermediate positions? Now is only center or all the way board or starboard or maybe I miss some key combinations.

Well, make optional and can change the volume of some voices. The battle don't take much time before powder and ammo runs out and the charging process don't take every 5 seconds.

And you can reduce the voices only "Guns ready sir!"

When you are bored of voices or don't like, you can mute or decrease volume, and the point is that we can quit all visual markings and control the ship with sounds for great immersion.

But this is not first priority thing of course.

In the heat of battle most orders were given via drum signals on the gundecks as it was too loud for verbal signals. I do think that if you hear the same voice commands it could get a little repetitive. Incorporating drums and expanding on the whistles though would be of interest.

an

anyone knows the old sea dogs ame from akella?

they had a dude sayin: starboard guns ready captn. In a really cool accend.

Also he said saaaaails--HO!

I found that voice really nice and wasnt annoyed by him at all. It was ofc. not very loud. only so that you could recognize what he was saying.

an

anyone knows the old sea dogs ame from akella?

they had a dude sayin: starboard guns ready captn. In a really cool accend.

Also he said saaaaails--HO!

I found that voice really nice and wasnt annoyed by him at all. It was ofc. not very loud. only so that you could recognize what he was saying.

I still use some of these phrases. Seadogs was great game. We found the audio file for "guns still loading, capn'" and used is to replace the default sound for every action on one of my friends computer. My favorite was when someone would shout "ship ahoy, capn!" when a ship was sighted. Usually a SoL less than 200 yards away. Always wished I could give my lookouts additional training...

Found my old post:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/1597-voice-overs-i-would-like-officers-to-answer-my-orders/

Set Sails - Officer Voice 1

Order sails set:

• Set torgallants aye
  • Set torsails aye
  • Set Mainsels aye

Order Sails Shortened:

• Shorten Sail and secure the  Mainsels
  • Shorten Sail and secure the  torsails
  • Shorten Sail and secure the  torgallants

Gun loading ordered from poop deck - officers voice 2

• Load all starboard batteries 

with roundshot

with chain

with grape?

• Load Larboard batteries

with roundshot

with chain

with grape?

Rudder - masters voice

Small adjustments would be said:

• Wheel about easy starboard 2 points
  • Wheel about easy larboard 2 points

Full rudder would be said:

•  
  • Wheel about hard all the way starboard (full right)
  • Wheel about hard all the way larboard (full left)

Loading the guns

left guns - leftenant 3

right guns - leftenant 4

forward - gunners mate 1

rear - gunners mate 2

Firing the guns

Pipe to survival - gunners mate 3 and then whistle

- accents:

To be completed...............

I could help. I have an Australian accent which is not much different to a NZ one.

They say that the NZ accent is closest in the world now to what an English accent was believe it or not.

• Like 3

Love your post.... but this statement is laughable.

The closes to which English accent, West country, South Coast, Midland, Scouse, Home Counties, London....then you have the Class accents, the list goes on my friend. Then you have to remember onboard a Royal Navy ship of the period its crew were also Jamaican, American, Italian, French, etc etc... its also said that at the time up to 30% of the RN crew were Irish!

I am more in favour of the instruments used as opposed to voices. I would love to see your source also on the New Zealand accent being the closest to the British accent of the time as I have the same response as Caldwell to be honest. Also as an Englishman (a rather posh one so that I am told) I would have to state that regional dialects are incredibly different and for Nelson as an example, a Norfolk accent would still today be a Norfolk accent not a Kiwi one :D

I have to say any voices that happen when ever you pass an order rapidly start pissing me off after a few games. Leave the sounds on the ship as they are. I find them easy to understand and don't annoy me the way any voice would. if I hear a bell or a whistle i just look at the UI. but then I am glancing at it all the time anyway so will know that the next sound will be my guns loaded . Its in keeping with the game and the time frame the way it is.

As for the NZ being close to old english or the original English, whatever that is. I have heard it from New Zealanders numerous times but have never seen a source. Thus I would have said "they say" rather than "the fact is".

Maybe the New Zealanders I got it from got it from a TV show:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=163006

"I recall seeing a show on TV a couple of years back that claimed the New Zealand accent was closest to earlier English accents, determined using recordings made in the 50's of people born in the previous century. If I could remember more about it I'd Google it, but it was just one of those things that I saw, thought "How 'bout that!" and moved on. Any Kiwis around here recall it? I would think it would be more newsworthy there than anywhere else.

If this is all true, why don't Australians and New Zealanders sound more like Americans than the English?"