Game-Labs Forum

Trader ships weight restriction?

BusterGut

The patch notes said that the recent patch changed the cargo capacity of ships to be more like the historical values. I think that just means they hit most cargo holds with the nerf bat. This change was kinda unexpected and I know most people are not pleased but the game is still being balanced in lots of ways. Hopefully they will release other cargo ready ships to make up for things on the trader side.

Long ago Trader Lynx was 200, Trader Cutter was 400, Trader Brig 600, Trader Snow 800.  They increased them by 4 times, so TL was 800, TC was 1600, TB was 2400, and TS was 3200.  This was to make up for the fact there was no LGV or Indiaman.  Now that we have these ships, the devs decreased the hold of these ships as they promised they would do when they increased them as fillers.  They were decreased by what, 55-60%.  Maybe it should have been 50%?  Even then the traders are carrying quite a bit more than they would have been able to.

• Like 2

As it has been said in the 9.94 patch notes, holds are rebalanced for all vessels, it is now closer to historical hold sizes. The numbers aren't in final state yet and might be tweaked in the future.

Also, new perk has been added, Hold optimization – 20% more hold weight

• Like 1

I'm OK with the change to the trader weight limits, but surprised by the new increased limits for fighting ships.  It is nice that fighting ships can collect the rewards from port battles and wrecks.  I remember using a rattlesnake to chase a wreck and finding out I could not pick up any of the loot.

I have found the smaller traders are virtually useless now for hauling materials.  I've switched from Trader Snows to LGV's or Indiaman for routine supply runs.

Actually both the LGV and the Indiaman were nerfed in this patch so the explanation that the smaller ships were decreased because of the the two larger ones doesn't hold much water. Some of the traders holds are minuscule now. One of the small ships took a hit of almost -75% and the LGV and Indiaman took big hits as well, the Indiaman from 8000 down to about 5450 from memory. One of the small traders actually went up by 50 against the overall trend.

I don't mind if these are historical capacities, my suspicion is that they aren't and the figures are being manipulated for other reasons to make people use the bigger ships. This doesn't help much when  your trading into shallow water ports where there is now no significant cargo capability.

This is I think just another attempt to placate the small but vocal faction of pirates and merchant raiders. 

Edited by Bulwyf