Game-Labs Forum

PVE: Is it pointless?

This game is headed more towards micromanagement and other aspects that favor PVE more than PVP.

Even Mrdoomed I'm sure would agree

I can't see that. I am not on the PVP server though. Perhaps you could expand on the aspects of play that you are referring to. I would be quite interested to know what the issue is.

I can't see that. I am not on the PVP server though. Perhaps you could expand on the aspects of play that you are referring to. I would be quite interested to know what the issue is.

One of the big issues on PVP1 is the missions. More players are tied up with the PVE missions due to the predictable nature of AI opponents so there are a lot less for PVP. It's easier to rank up for players on AI mission due to less risk.

So what you are saying is that many players prefer PVE on the PVP server and this is a problem for you.

Well they could always turn off PVE on the PVP server just as they have turned off PVP on the PVE server but I suspect you would then have just a lot less players on PVP1. It comes down to play style preferences.

In any event closing the PVE server is most likely to result in a mass exodus for those who prefer a quieter life so that will not benefit you. Killing PVE on the PVP server is likely to have a similar effect but perhaps not quite such a loss. I don't think you would benefit from it as much as you think.

Rather than closing options the most likely solution is to make PVP a more attractive proposition.

I have little interest in it although I like the idea of large scale battles so how you do that I do not know.

I believe that it should not be at the expense of those for which PVP is not a desirable play style.

• Like 1

PVE is completely pointless at max rank, and that's I believe a strong reason for the player drop we see every day.

There's no point in even logging in unless you're aware of action happening. Once you are rank 10 and have enough gold  secured to afford a few replacement ships, there is absolutely no reason to fight NPCs. So these people only log in to use their crafting hours. Until they think "what for?" and then they stop logging in altogether.

I very seldom disagree with you but I have to on this account. I, and others have been playing solo on the PvE server. We tend to find our own enjoyment with the provided world. Can it be improved?, you bet. Is it completely pointless at max rate?, hell no. There ARE individuals who can find challenges, and pursue those challenges and goals well beyond become master crafter or the Lord Admiral. Just because you rank yourself to the end of advancement does not mean your done playing in the game.

I cannot understand why someone feels they need to quit when they have reached the high ranking or crafter that is available.

• Like 1

I am not quite sure how to actually play as a crafter.  What do you do with your time? because labor hours are gone after a minute for me, and then I'm not a crafter anymore. Then I'm just some guy with a full warehouse who has to wait for more energy like on a facebook game.

What you can do after LH ran out:

1. Check market for cheaper than usual ships. Buy them and sell them for profit.

2. Check market for any good resource deals and sell them for the usual or keep them.

3. Create a list of all resources which you currently require. Then go on a trip to the ports which got the materials you need. 

You can do all of that with navalactioncraft.com in mind which shows you how much production cost of a ship is or where to get resources you need and more. The new smuggler thing is very interesting for this, too. 

Edited by BACk ALLEY ShENANiGANS

The game was advertised on Steam as having a PvE only server. Else I wouldn't have bought it :)

edit: you might also want to check the NA website...

http://www.navalaction.com/#open-world

....PvE: Peaceful server where players fight with NPCs. Players interested in a single player experience where other players can only help you should choose this server.....

Long ago before testing the open world out even, the idea at first was no PVE server, but enough people persuade the devs to have a pve server and that is what we got now a pvp and pve server

I moved from PvE to PvP2, however primary liked an idea of peaceful server where players don't attack players, fighting with npc. I'm bad shooter, my gunners are apparently half blind, but I love tall ships, age of sales and all that staff. PvE server seemed be just tailored for me. But I didn't know that no one, even npc won't attack me whatever I do. Playing with computer for me means you can attack and be attacked, if not by other players then at least by AI. But not in this case.

So I restarted my career on PvP, hunting npc traders for beginning.

• Like 2

What you can do after LH ran out:

1. Check market for cheaper than usual ships. Buy them and sell them for profit.

2. Check market for any good resource deals and sell them for the usual or keep them.

3. Create a list of all resources which you currently require. Then go on a trip to the ports which got the materials you need. 

You can do all of that with navalactioncraft.com in mind which shows you how much production cost of a ship is or where to get resources you need and more. The new smuggler thing is very interesting for this, too. 

1. That is not crafter gameplay. That is trading. And pretty sad one at that. 

2. I have enough resources to last for another month.

3. See 2

I very seldom disagree with you but I have to on this account. I, and others have been playing solo on the PvE server. We tend to find our own enjoyment with the provided world. Can it be improved?, you bet. Is it completely pointless at max rate?, hell no. There ARE individuals who can find challenges, and pursue those challenges and goals well beyond become master crafter or the Lord Admiral. Just because you rank yourself to the end of advancement does not mean your done playing in the game.

I cannot understand why someone feels they need to quit when they have reached the high ranking or crafter that is available.

I am not playing this game for PVE,  I don't seek to challenge myself against AI ships. I am not done playing the game, but there is very little action on the seas right now because there's no reason for max rank players to set sail unless they need money or they're attacking / defending a port. So the players who are on the seas while there is no conquest flag under way are only people who are leveling, shipping cargo or grinding money. The first two make for no interesting fights, and the latter will usually attempt to evade PVP because losing at PVP is probably the reason they're in need of money to begin with.

The only reason to PVE at max rank is either the need for gold (which I have enough of to last me until the wipe) and to get rare upgrades, which I find utterly ridiculous. That means I'm not  out there right now, despite having time to play, killing AI ships, therefore I can't get dragged into PVP. Instead, I'm sitting on a teamspeak in a ready channel, as if I'm on call for work, in case there's a conquest flag to react to.

PvE is pointless. Why waste your time?

Um, because WE ENJOY IT. That's the point.

Seems like pop is low on all of the servers. This will likely change.

PVEserver was always super low pop.  PVP 1 however had more than 2000 players online during prime time at a time. Why do you think that changed?

Edited by Quineloe

The only reason to PVE at max rank is either the need for gold (which I have enough of to last me until the wipe) and to get rare upgrades, which I find utterly ridiculous. That means I'm not  out there right now, despite having time to play, killing AI ships, therefore I can't get dragged into PVP. Instead, I'm sitting on a teamspeak in a ready channel, as if I'm on call for work, in case there's a conquest flag to react to.

PVEserver was always super low pop.  PVP 1 however had more than 2000 players online during prime time at a time. Why do you think that changed?

This is you with your play style and motivations. That is fine for you.

You don't seem to understand that we don't need an external motivation to do PVE because we enjoy PVE for itself. Rank is irrelevant although the game opens up at higher rank.

That is our play style. We don't want straight PVP.

Now the second point.

You had a server with 2000 that gave everyone all the PVP they wanted. Now that has changed. You can't find opponents? Why is that? Well it isn't the PVE server is it.

Are you saying that the remaining people are doing PVE on the PVP server and therefore there are too few opponents as has been suggested? Why is that? Is it that they have been ganked once too often? If PVP is so great why aren't they doing it?

Why has the PVP1 server lost such a large population? They haven't come to the PVE server.

I think you need to do a bit of collective soul searching on behavioral/ motivational aspects of your own server. I can't recommend anything or even have a firm opinion because I am not on it.

It definitely has nothing to do with PVE or the PVE server.

As an aside a ganker, justified their ganking by saying "Well, they shouldn't have sailed alone" . And I am hearing that you can't find opponents. Maybe they are just not sailing alone. Just a thought.

• Like 2

PVE is the easier alternative, that's why so many do it to level up Seamist. As there is no real risk to PVE play it's used to level up to max rank because your average PVE player is adverse to the more challenging aspect of the game. There is no real effort or risk involved in point and click trading or crafting. No real challenge to beating smaller AI opponents in low rank missions.

PVE is killing the game because players feel forced to do it( mission grinds, brain dead trading and crafting) in order to get anywhere.

This is you with your play style and motivations. That is fine for you.

Yeah I guess it's moot to discuss this with someone who plays in the PVE server and didn't see the decline from 2000 players to 500 over the time since launch. It's really just me.

Guys, please. If people are not engaging in PVP and preferring PVE even on the PVP server it is illogical to blame PVE per se.

Perhaps they prefer PVE. I don' know and neither do you.

If you want more PVP then PVP needs to become more of an attractive option. Not cull the PVE environment which even you admit seems to be most people's preference if you include activities on your own server. If that is done, and it is their preference then there truly will be no one left.

So stop with the " It's all PVE players fault" and work out why PVP is unattractive, then do something positive about it!

• Like 2

I have been playing PvE 80% of my gametime and i fail to see a problem with some players calling PvE useless.

You farm a nice amount of gold,exp if ou need it,you get upgrade drops,you can use the gold to buy production buildings,materials,resell them,produce maths or ships in demands while using PvE misions as your main resource.Smuggle stuff around the ports,level up your crafting while doing PvE,this is the prime time to do it,get it done slowly before the end of the year and preparations for release.

PvP is less prefered do to the simple factthat if you dont have an outpost in the free port 2 hours sailing away you cant do pbs,you cant get that outpost since you dont have 2 hours spare to waste on sailing there or quarter of a milion or higher for a new outpost,or you are just scared that you will loose your brand new Pavel you grinded doing misions and trading.

Let us not forget-100 people,100 diff minds ,lets just be patient and give it 1 more year,once its released we can start with the rage and why this,why that

• Like 3

I think that PvE players play on that server to avoid the PvP stupidity like the vendetta that was carried out between two clans and screwed the other players. Maybe we play there to avoid the win no matter who you screw super players/gankers. Maybe we avoid the PvP server because of the vile things typed in chat. There have been many, many threads on these forums about these types of foolishness. These are the things I see about PVP. I don't see much incentive to sail there. PvE is not easier and risk is irrelevant since, at this point, money is easy to come by. I sure don't see how the grand and almighty PvP server is more of  a challenge. According to these forums, there is no one who is willing to have a good fight. I logged in daily, on PvE a month ago and there were about 100 players. Now, it is almost summer. People want to enjoy the sun and the grass needs to be mowed. The 4 years I sailed on POTBS, if memory serves, it was the same.

When this thread first started it really made me angry. Some of the posts since made me angry again. There ain't a thing wrong with PvE and those who sail there.

This is the point of view from an Evil PvE'er. Oh, I'm fat, bald, and I fucking smoke, so I am a worm. (this is sarcasm for those of you who can't tell)

Bash me all you want, oh mighty PvP gods. I always try not to be divisive or type the foul language that I am prone to on these forums, but the thread is about dumb.

• Like 5

PvE is pointless, true.  I think it will be a massive amount of work, to make PvE something else than pointless.  Maybe now, when these weekly port captures come, those could be implemented on PvE server as well.

PvP, I have to admit that I really do like it.  Probably can be improved in multiple ways, but PvP, just seems to build its own content.

But have to admit, I do not really understand why to play NA on PvE server.

You could have port captures on PVE, use AI fleets instead of Player for defense. But capping ports even controlled by AI could be challenging, therefor it's not for the PVE " players" in this game.

My issue with PVE is it's a no effort way of " playing " the game. All required is the time to sail from point a to point b do a few key presses and back to AFK sailing again. It appeals to the lowest common denominator of gamers.

What I'm stating are the simple facts of the situation, not meant to be insulting but to some here I can see how it could be considered that way.

So what do you tell the PvE player that the port they use for crafting was captured? Well, there's no PvP... but... you lost your port because the AI couldn't defend it....sorry about the round about PvP server....

You could have port captures on PVE, use AI fleets instead of Player for defense. But capping ports even controlled by AI could be challenging, therefor it's not for the PVE " players" in this game.

My issue with PVE is it's a no effort way of " playing " the game. All required is the time to sail from point a to point b do a few key presses and back to AFK sailing again. It appeals to the lowest common denominator of gamers.

What I'm stating are the simple facts of the situation, not meant to be insulting but to some here I can see how it could be considered that way.

Strange that your experience of PVE is different from mine. You do know we have fleet missions on the PVE server. And roaming large fleets. And roaming small fleets. All AI. You say that you are presenting the facts of the situation but my experience of PVE is so far away from what you describe that I wonder if you have the remotest idea of what you are talking about.

I will ignore the insulting language. I am glad you realise it is insulting though.

For the last time leave the PVE guys alone. Our play style has nothing to do with you. We want nothing to do with you either. I am so glad I am on another server. I have no idea why you keep attacking us.

• Like 2

I neither understand the offending tone here nor the complaints about PVE servers. Why? Let people find their own play style and the game will benefit by variety instead of boredom. I am on a PVP server which doesn't mean I do only PVP, so no one on a PVE server is bound to do only PVE, isn't it? It's a mmo, a game about people and people are different and that's very good.

• Like 1

thing is, pve as it is now IS pointless, and that is mainly as the game is still in open alpha.

ofc we could have port battles in pve, but they require more job to make, as you need to make a program for the ai to do it, and you allso need to have a counter charge by the defending part so that we dont get to a pvp point where 1 nation can teoreticly controll all nations in the pve server.

and it would allso require an instant teleport to the area where the port battle is going to happend, or a 24H notice about where it is going to happend so that players have the time to sail. it allso have to happend in all nations at the same time.

then perhaps a monthly campain could be made where 1 nation pushes on multiple fronts to see if they can capture a area. if they do the players in that nation gets some rewards and the ports get reset the next day. if they dont the defenders get some rewards and ports get reset the next day.

i dont think the devs have the time to make all this right now, maybe when the game hits open beta.

like 1 dude in pvp1 said yesterday: the game is currently just to test ship combat and open world mechanics, nothing else.

Edited by Nitefrost