Game-Labs Forum

will there ever be nav aids

Actually it is one of the tings I like in the game :)

After a while it becomes second nature and you recognize position by terrain in the horizon. You'll even know in which exact terrain feature the port is.

• Like 3

You'll even know in which exact terrain feature the port is.

That's exactly my own experience. Leave the system as it is. It fits very well in the game concept. The only additional thing I would wish for is the ability to pick two points on the map and see the approximate time to get there ...

• Like 1

Look, the guy is not asking for a GPS, he is just asking for this:

wsci_03_img0369.jpg

Simple tools that any navigator of the times would have, a compassrose, calipers and a ruler at the very least!

And give us notations of landmarks on the map, also a very common practice on period naviagtional charts.

• Like 5

wsci_03_img0369.jpg

Simple tools that any navigator of the times would have, a compassrose, calipers and a ruler at the very least!

And give us notations of landmarks on the map, also a very common practice on period naviagtional charts.

This.

I'm not among those who want a continuous moving position.  I like it the way it is.  Hethwill is 100% correct; I don't get lost, and find my way around the map just fine.

A few map tools, however, would enhance the current navigation experience without changing its fundamental nature.  Would give the player a little bit more to do on those longer transits.  It's not about avoiding getting lost...it's about figuring out (not being given) one's exact location, and the satisfaction of making landfall after several days in open water not only at a precise location, but also at the predicted time.  I understand many players couldn't care less, but for many others, would add a bit more fun to the game in an area which right now is necessary but rather dull.

I also recognize that we have such functionality now in external sites such as burningsail and TDA.  But it's rather clunky to alt-tab in and out, for something simple that really ought to be in the game.

If a real trading mechanism is implemented, then you're going to need these tools so you can navigate outside the shipping lanes, i.e. away from landmarks and familiar island terrain/mountains.  If no trade mechanism, then yes in 2 weeks you tend to learn exactly where you are at all times.

Edited by Jean Ribault

The Burning Sail map functions pretty much like those navigation tools - gives me course and estimated time over open sea to my destination. I know that these player made aids are not in game - imagine what OW was like before the in game map, but I think the devs have bigger issues to deal with presently. Just look at the RvR, ROE and Port Battle announcements. I would like to see an OW telescope but I'll wait while more major game content is developed.

• Like 1

The Burning Sail map functions pretty much like those navigation tools - gives me course and estimated time over open sea to my destination. I know that these player made aids are not in game - imagine what OW was like before the in game map, but I think the devs have bigger issues to deal with presently. Just look at the RvR, ROE and Port Battle announcements. I would like to see an OW telescope but I'll wait while more major game content is developed.

Respectfully, a 3rd party solution is not a real solution, it's a workaround.  Maybe a solution ultimately isn't needed at all, and the current system will work for the fully developed product, but the OP didn't seem to be demanding an immediate response here, seemed to just be asking if it was ever to come.  IMO we should not dismiss this question as unimportant because other developments are currently underway, but rather discuss it on merit and maybe categorize it as vital, or next priority or low priority or something of the sort.

My personal opinion (per above) is that future gameplay change may actually warrant this as a necessity.  (Or it may not, too hard to tell right now.)  But it's worth discussing even if the current state of the game doesn't appear to warrant these tools right ATM.

• Like 1

dont be...many people want Nav tools. since they had them..it would be fun to be able to chart a course like they did... instead of just hugging the coast.

yeah, this exactly. it's what Jean Ribault said, not a demand, since there's way too much to be dealt with right now

Edited by Capt Hornblower

There will be no navigational aid, players get very good at navigating after few weeks. 

That's unfortunate. Having a good clock (and therefore knowing how far east or west you might be from some fixed point) was a HUGE deal in navigation. It was so important that the British gov't in 1714 offered a prize of a couple million pounds in today's money to anyone who could come up with a workable marine clock.

When John Harrison finally (progressively) solved the problem, it gave Great Britain an enormous advantage on the seas. They could go farther safer, with all that entailed. Just think on what that meant for a bit, and then you'll wonder why having a ship position isn't something any real captain would have been paying a whole lot of atttention to.

And if THAT isn't enough, consider where concepts of things like GMT come from and then ask yourself if it's not important enough to put in the game. Or consider that one of the things Fletcher Christain took from Bligh along with the charts was his watch. Or that before GPS, navigating without a chronometer (ships often carried a few, as spares and for consensus) was something you just never did, ever.

I can get around just fine, but I'd *love* to see a ship's sailing master offer me his best guess on the position I'm at. Seeing a fuzzy oval of varying size on the map would be awesome. Might not keep you off the shoals, but it would be a really nice feature.
  • Like 1

wsci_03_img0369.jpg

Throw in some lighthouses at ports (light houses are mainly not for pointing out rocks, they are for navigating)

• 3 weeks later...

Who knows. Maybe when Officers are implemented you get a Master with that specific skill !?! But even the devs themselves like the sensation of being lost when they go to new shores.

:)

Pardon, how I put this.

I want to be lost. But I still (like they did in their day.) want to know where, I am on any map.

Be it PVE, PVP and any future, idea of World Wide Exploration, and Trade etc, from Magellan per say to Darwin, and alittle bit beyond him, etc.

All had to know where they were on a map, plus for further plotting of a course. And being able to second guess, where another ship might be. Like how in M and C, with information, along the way, all helped. Or via orders given months before, as to possible whereabouts, by the Navy of your country.

Even the likes of Capt Aubrey for Master and Commander. Jack Sparrow for the Black Pearl. Bligh for the HMS Bounty. Darwin and the Beagle. John Paul Jones for the US. Nicolas Baudin for France along side Matthew Flinders, and like Capt James Cook.

Just to name a small few, among a good many.

(think also the open modern era of Silent Hunter games. And Real Naval and Merchant Captains. who had to not only know where they were, but where a passing ship went by them, be it Friend or Foe. And checking their course too, as they pass.)

So, yes, Map position that say here I am, and the most barest of Nav tools. (just like them.) They might hugged the shores. but they also didn't. Partly because of being sucked in by the land winds, lee shores or shallows and reef's too.