Game-Labs Forum

muliple camera points(?)

I just got an idea. I certainly read that some people already suggested adding some kind of a "1st person view" aside from the scrolling-in camera we have...

i also understand that it´s a somewhat complicated thing to add an actual "player" to the ship that would move around... so i got this rather simplified idea:

Put some "fixed" spotter models to the ship, let´s say one at the bow/ forecastle, one at the stern, maybe one at the railing on both sides and possibly one in the crows nest...

each of those would act as a "camera mount" that you could switch through, maybe with a fixed rotation/ partly rotation around it´s position... that way you could have a 1st person view from different positions without the need to have a "walk across deck" character or what ever... to make it even cooler, add the proposed "spy glass feature" to them, too :)

please note that this suggestion mainly regards the open world, since aiming kinda already features that in combat

sry if a similar idea was already posted, i just wanted to quickly post it before i forget it again ^^

cheers and fair winds

Edited by KittyHawkes
  • Like 3

Captains don't take the wheel. Quartermaster and helmsman do that. A captain typically stands on the quarterdeck.

We`re talking just on putting camera somewhere near the wheel. Or maybe the capitain kicked out his helsman and got steering in his hands in anger. :ph34r:

• Like 1

I'd place it on the quarterdeck, aft of the helm, maybe slightly to one side to allow for a clearer view. I like the idea of a first person camera, though. I wish they had various first person positions such as in the foretop, on the forecastle, the fantail, the waists at the beam, and on the quarterdeck.

• Like 2

Maybe it is possible already... just press the "home" key... you can have all the different point of view you want... 

nah, thats a freecam... what i suggest is more like a 1st person kind of "view from a spotter´s position" on the deck...

since a "walk around on deck" sytem would involve too much work, it´s kind of a workaround with assets that are already there ((if i take the little guys on deck in battles into account))

multiple stationary sailors and added cameras would be easier done than an actual walking captain´s figure... i guess :)

kind of a compromise between "we want 1st person on deck" and "yea we too, but it´s alot of work" :)

Edited by KittyHawkes

+100

There are lots of great places for the camera (when it is zoomed in). All of them on the deck, rather than from a spot 20 feet up the mast. Currently there is no way to view from the deck and control your ship.

The height position is available when you use 3rd person view. It's a shame that a view is not offered from the deck somehow.

Having an actual player character that moves around the ship might be a bit complicated but I don't think making a camera that moves around the deck of the ship in relation to the ship itself would be too complicated to add in unity. You could just basically make a chase camera that is limited to a certain height above the ships's deck and to the area of the deck (much like it's done in Silent Hunter 5 "walking" around).

In any case i like the idea of having several possible viewpoints on the ship for both immersion and practical purposes. For example, during battles it would be great if it were possible to aim the guns from forecastle and quarterdeck in addition to the the middle of the ship.

For example, during battles it would be great if it were possible to aim the guns from forecastle and quarterdeck in addition to the the middle of the ship.

actually, yea, that would also be very nice to have... endless possibilites, poor devs :D