Game-Labs Forum

Navigation, e.g. use of a Sextant

Salute Gentlemen,

we're sailing and sailing and guessing our position by moving in a general direction for a certain time multiplying it by speed.

This is what they did 200 yrs ago as well (more or less).

But once a day, at 12:00 local time (determined by sun at highest position) they were able to determine their excact position using a Sextant and a Chronograph.

Since the in game date must be somewhere between 21 October 1797 and 22 October 1805 (launch of USS Constitution and wrecking of Santissima Trinidad after Battle of Trafalgar ;) ) I'm pretty sure that a Sextant and Chronograph was a standard equipment on almost every ship and they knew how to use it.

My suggestion: On good weather conditions take the position of the ship at 12:00 o'clock and mark it on the map.

Edited by Silent Hunter
  • Like 2

The Sextant could only measure latitude if I remember correctly, so maybe a horizontal bar opposed to your exact position. But this does take away some of the navigation elements of the game.

Edited by Martin

Personally, I think a moving compass could be more valuable. Being off one degree from your course, or even less when sailing in open ocean or between islands can cause you to miss your destination; its certainly happened to me. 

The compass could be a simple and transparent "draggable" object which you can move around the map as much as you want. This way, you could slap it down on your position at a port and accurately find your course's heading. I think this would still allow the sort of "hardcore exploration" ideology of the game, but still be helpful.

• Like 1

I really can't see the issue with not having this. Not only was different aids available, sailors of this time had a complete different understanding of sailing wich we can't even use for an aid in this game, such as currents, winds etc. I do think it's beneficial especially for the new players, whatever promotes people to get out there on the OS is good, what limits them limits their experience. For that reason at least make it optional or available as long as you are able to hire fleets.

As for the "navigation" as such in the game, there's really no achievement to it, so not implementing it due to "realistic" or whatever reason doesn't really cut it. The only thing it does is increase the time you have to spend on the OS for some travels as I see it. For those who still want the immersion it could be optional in that case, and if they consider it to be a disadvantage to not use that option, they can value it against the immersion or the feel of "achievement" of managing to hit a port from the other side of the caribbean.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Allow players to place waypoints on the map as a navigation aid, when you finish a battle in open sea you may have lost where you had been before the battle. placing a waypoint could put a marker on the compass on the screen to give a general direction to your next point.

• Like 1

The Sextant could only measure latitude if I remember correctly, so maybe a horizontal bar opposed to your exact position. But this does take away some of the navigation elements of the game.

You can know longitude from the stars. Pole Star shows it :)

"My suggestion: On good weather conditions take the position of the ship at 12:00 o'clock and mark it on the map." 

I think we need a 'Capt' log' or 'ship's logbook'. A captain need to take notes (auto, notes on the map). Marked the battles, the route, the seen ships. Maybe, showable marks on Open World could useable to navigate.

Plus: spyglas why only available in the battles? Not really useable.

By this time period, the Sea Clock could be used in conjunction with a Sextant, to determine exact position.

I stole a Fine clock off an English trader some time ago!  :D

"Exact position" being a very general term. If you're withing 50 miles you're doing pretty good. Finding islands is hard. Finding continents is easy.

...and only is you had a sharp horizon.

...and only if the sky is clear at noon.

• Like 1

I really can't see the issue with not having this. Not only was different aids available, sailors of this time had a complete different understanding of sailing wich we can't even use for an aid in this game, such as currents, winds etc. I do think it's beneficial especially for the new players, whatever promotes people to get out there on the OS is good, what limits them limits their experience. For that reason at least make it optional or available as long as you are able to hire fleets.

As for the "navigation" as such in the game, there's really no achievement to it, so not implementing it due to "realistic" or whatever reason doesn't really cut it. The only thing it does is increase the time you have to spend on the OS for some travels as I see it. For those who still want the immersion it could be optional in that case, and if they consider it to be a disadvantage to not use that option, they can value it against the immersion or the feel of "achievement" of managing to hit a port from the other side of the caribbean.

Navigation is a skill that you can learn with the tools provided (an extremely accurate compass with no errors on any heading and accurate chart).  Guess what?  Gunnery is a skill to learn in the game; as is maneuvering, judging relative speeds and distances, etc.  Though it does frustrate some (mainly newer) players, it can be quickly learned.

Allow players to place waypoints on the map as a navigation aid, when you finish a battle in open sea you may have lost where you had been before the battle. placing a waypoint could put a marker on the compass on the screen to give a general direction to your next point.

Been saying this for a while now.  I also think that prior to logging off I'd like to put a marker on the chart for where I think I might be (judging from points of land, or just a complete guess based on my course since the last port).  Heck, sharing guessed positions could become a part of the OW game when you pass a friendly player and actually exchange pleasantries (i.e. chat).  I'd also like to be able to make notes on the chart or in a logbook so that if I'm not playing for a couple of days I remember a goal, destination, etc.

"Exact position" being a very general term. If you're withing 50 miles you're doing pretty good. Finding islands is hard. Finding continents is easy.

...and only is you had a sharp horizon.

...and only if the sky is clear at noon.

They were much better than 50 miles... much better.

And yes, they needed clear sky aka sun at noon.