Game-Labs Forum

I think admin/devs owe a lot of people an answer, put this issue to rest.

"current" being the keyword here.

I for one would also enjoy something more...shiny(!)...about pirates, but I also conccur that are more pressing issues in the roadmap. Given many specific mechanics need others to already be in place let's sit tight a little longer, or take a break, and see how it develops.

In all cases pirates should be the outcasts, meaning no conquest, just raids. They would craft a Conquest Flag same as others and in a successful attack all resources including materials, upgrades and ships on store would be automatically transferred to the original Pirate Nest. ( this requires pirates to not have a capital but 1 or 2 nests per nation's territories ). This would be a serious threat.

Further, Pirates should be able to hire a fleet at any rank. Should not have shipyard ability above frigate level and highly reduced port space for cargo. Pirates do not kept stashes of stuff. They would sell it in their own nests or in free ports.

Basically people here don't want pirates to be able to do anything within the current state of the game, and instead think they should just mill about chasing traders until an unspecified point in the future when there is patches made to accommodate a more diverse pirate game-play?

OR.....you could just have them function as a nation, for now, and change them in future when the games economic base is a bit more finalized.

• Like 2

OR.....you could just have them function as a nation, for now, and change them in future when the games economic base is a bit more finalized.

The longer you allow an issue to remain, the harder it will be to fix.

It's not that pirates are in the game, or people hate pirates or think they are OP or need a nerf etc,etc.

It's that the way they are implemented is so far off base on what was apparently originally intended.

• Like 2

The longer you allow an issue to remain, the harder it will be to fix.

But you cannot fix it now because the mechanics for pirates you lot are suggesting do not currently exist in the game. They would need to be developed first, and in the interim you lot seem to think that its acceptable for pirates not to be able to experience large segments of the games current gameplay offerings.

Far easier to treat them as a nation for now, while the mechanics for them are figured out.

But you cannot fix it now because the mechanics for pirates you lot are suggesting do not currently exist in the game. They would need to be developed first, and in the interim you lot seem to think that its acceptable for pirates not to be able to experience large segments of the games current gameplay offerings.

Far easier to treat them as a nation for now, while the mechanics for them are figured out.

Oh really?

Very simply put, strip their ability to cap ports, change all important pirate ports to free ports, change all unimportant ones to neutral ports. DONE, that will turn them into the roaming nomadic assholes that they are meant to be for now. You can add other stuff later. If you say you can't do this, you are flat face lying.

Very simply put, strip their ability to cap ports, change all important pirate ports to free ports, change all unimportant ones to neutral ports. DONE, that will turn them into the roaming nomadic assholes that they are meant to be for now. You can add other stuff later. If you say you can't do this, you are flat face lying.

I really dislike having to repeat myself but there you go, I did it twice so hopefully the message is two times as effective. Oh but feel free to read it multiple times if you need to.

Yes, because waiting until 80 percent of the player base is pirate faction to completely change it makes much more sense.

• Like 1

Very simply put, strip their ability to cap ports, change all important pirate ports to free ports, change all unimportant ones to neutral ports. DONE, that will turn them into the roaming nomadic assholes that they are meant to be for now. You can add other stuff later. If you say you can't do this, you are flat face lying

So "remove ability for pirates to largely participate in early access testing until other mechanics are implemented down the line" is your opinion for what a decent chunk of the playerbase should have forced upon them, for no other real reason than you dont like the fact that Pirates are functioning as a nation?

Lets see what restrictions this places on Pirates:

- No ability to participate in, test, and provide feedback for Port Battles.

- No ability to do any large scale crafting or provide feedback on the crafting system, as you cannot take ports, your resource diversity and availability is severely restricted.

- Forced, largely, to use basic ships from NPC's due to lack of materials for crafting.

- Upgrades market vastly more expensive due to prevalence of captured 1 durability ships, they get lost more often.

What else does these changes put on the game:

-British, America and Spain now have even more resource-rich land they can readily grab, right from the start of the game. The Brits certainly do not need this buff, their capital is already isolated.

Yes, because waiting until 80 percent of the player base is pirate faction to completely change it makes much more sense.

The changes could be implemented down the line with the proposed soft wipe (keep exp only, reset map) with the additional option for existing pirate players to stay pirate or change to a national player, without anyone losing out in comparison to everyone else.

• Like 2

Oh really?

I really dislike having to repeat myself but there you go, I did it twice so hopefully the message is two times as effective. Oh but feel free to read it multiple times if you need to.

A little salty there shipmate.

• Like 4

I wish the devs could confirm some of the claims being made in this thread, is it true that at 04-06 server time the Pirates have more players on then the USA? it seems to be mainly american players in here hard core QQing, I suspect because there losing so bad, lets say the make pirates significantly harder to play, if we all leave as a unit and join the danish, would that make you feal better? we have created a community with a 100 people on the same ts, that for the most part gets along, thats why your losing.

• Like 2

I wish the devs could confirm some of the claims being made in this thread, is it true that at 04-06 server time the Pirates have more players on then the USA? it seems to be mainly american players in here hard core QQing, I suspect because there losing so bad, lets say the make pirates significantly harder to play, if we all leave as a unit and join the danish, would that make you feal better? we have created a community with a 100 people on the same ts, that for the most part gets along, thats why your losing.

It's amazing how many of the pirate players are completely missing the point.

But when your afraid of more challenging gameplay I guess it makes sense.

• Like 2

I am so freaking sick of all the cry babies on here!

Pirates shouldn't capture ports

Pirates shouldn't craft ships

Pirates shouldn't sail large ships

Blah blah blah

The only frikin reason it bothers you is because with even numbers in port battles, you (Brits, US, whoever) have trouble capturing our ports.

Stop crying on the forums & work to improve your nations!

The only reason it bothers me is because I originally wanted to play a pirate. Then I realised it was essentially no different from the other nations other than the flag and green on green ganking. No interesting mechanics, no meaningfully raised difficulty, no real distinction to any other group in the game other than the 'yarrr we be piratz' and swapping Aubrey/Nelson clones for Jack Sparrow wannabes.

• Like 2

But thats what pirates are all about guerrilla tactics...killing smaller numbers fleeing the scene ..kinda thing im no pirate but that how i see it.

Sure, but that should be the extent and the essential nature of pirating rather than it being an extension to the full scale military campaign of conquest which they are currently engaged in. It's absurd to have pirates controlling huge swathes of the map, it makes a travesty of any proposed political system. What's more it deprives us of the opportunity to have a distinct and interesting branch of gameplay.

Pirates could have been cool, they could have been something for those of us who did not want to be part of the conquest, political, metagame. Instead they're just like everybody else, which is a crying shame. The devs need to man up on this and stick to their original plans. A few might cry now on the forums, but if they made changes everybody would adapt quickly or reroll.

• Like 1

It's amazing how many of the pirate players are completely missing the point.

But when your afraid of more challenging gameplay I guess it makes sense.

No-ones afraid of harder gameplay, what we don't want is being excluded from the majority of current content just because some people can't deal with the fact that theres a pirate nation in this game at its current stage of development.

I'm perfectly happy for pirates to take on a role more suited to harassment and trader raiding, once the wider game economy is more developed to support that without locking people playing the pirate faction from a large portion of the games current content.

• Like 2

Pirates will always be a nation. No matter what is done, 'players' not 'pirates' who play pirate will chose to work together. It's the nature of MMOs particularly PVP-centric MMOs. Numbers win / lose battles, and this game is about winning / losing battles. If mechanics are put in place to make it too difficult for pirates to succeed, there will be no pirates.  Like history, they will be nerfed to extinction.

I see people complaining that Pirates are the second largest faction. Nothing will change that either (bar nerfage to extinction) because they're iconic and theme appeals to so many people. I'm actually surprised it's not the largest faction. Perhaps the difficulty warning at character creation puts newbies off? It's very similar to Star Wars games. Many are going to chose playing a Jedi or a Sith because they are iconic and fascinating.

There is only two solutions to this so called pirate problem (which I don't think is a problem).

1. Put in game mechanics that make it impossible for pirates to succeed. (Extinction)

2. Remove playable pirate faction and make all pirates AI.

If either of these 'solutions' come to fruition, the game will lose its appeal to many many players (like me) which will of course result in a loss of revenue for the developers.

There's nothing wrong with the 'Pirate Nation'. As the admin said, if you don't like it, do something about it in game. We're waiting  :ph34r:

It's been said by the devs. This is a 'what if' scenario. Think of it as a parallel universe. What happens in the game happens because we players make it happen. WE are making it's history. It's not a 17th century simulator. 

Edited by Long Beard
  • Like 4

Why is it that those that don't play as pirates, complain the most about how the pirates are played?

It's a good question and it's certainly apparent when you read through the many 'pirate problem' threads.

I know some have genuine interests in the game and want to see something unique with many good and interesting suggestions, but I also see a lot of negative stuff from people who have no empathy what so ever with those who play and love playing pirate.

Maybe there's also a contingent of players who just don't like the fact the pirate faction is so well organised, play well together, cooperate and pose a threat to them. Who knows. Maybe some will answer the question honestly.

Why is it that those that don't play as pirates, complain the most about how the pirates are played?

Its mostly the same 5 or 6 guys from the US and Brit that dont like having to fight someone. Every day the same pirate post is created by the same persons. Not sure why this is allowed but it is fun to read.

There have been good suggestions made on how to " fix" pirates but the haters still hate. So it has to be they are just scared of a fight in pvp1. Im on pvp2 and havent seen another pirate exept my friend in 3 weeks and yet somehow we are ruining justme's game lol.

• Like 1

Anneinedu why don't you play a nation whe you care about port conquest so much? It's the cool flag, right?

I can care less about conquest but I like pirates having our own area and I will help defend it. With about 200 hours in game, I am still only rank 3 bc I like to explore & be a thorn in others' sides in my small ships. I am all for pirates who want to rank up, craft, and sail large ships bc they defend my home. If pirates cannot capture ports, then how can we take back ports captured from us? If pirates can't sail large ships, how can we defend our ports from those who do? If some pirates like conquest, so be it, but, being an officer in probably the largest pirate clan on pvp 1 the only interest I see is in defending our central area.

admin, on 02 Mar 2016 - 5:03 PM, said:snapback.png

Players who are unhappy about the current sandbox should do something themselves

Like, go play another game?

Take care, bye bye, au revoir, auf wiedersehen, adiós, can I have your stuff?

Umm Pirates should be able to cap ports tho really it makes more sense for them to raid ports why would they want to be tied to a settlement?

Pirates should be able to craft ships if they acquire the BPs via capture and have a suitable shipyard/drydock

Pirates should be able to sail large ships if they can afford the plunder to crew ratio...

Remember Pirate crews got paid...which means its more expensive every fking month to run a larger pirate ship.....

We didnt raid enough...FK you pay me...

We didnt cap enough cargo...FK you pay me...

and if you don't pay Pirate crews there are many examples of what happens and the very least was marooning

You guys want to run around saying "we're pirates" but you dont want any of the costs for being pirate

So when was the last time you split your prize earnings with your crew?

Every nation of the time split the take with all members of the crew.  It was written quite extensively about by Admiral Nelson, you know the one they still salute and drink toasts to in the British Navy.

So if we have to pay the costs of crew, so bloody well should everyone else.  The fact that it's not included as a game mechanic is quite simply it's pointless. Add in crew costs, up prize money to compensate and create the same level of "grind", no net gain for a big ole pain in the ass.

Now if there was some advantage to be gained by upping a crews "take", then it would be a worth while mechanic to add in giving people a choice to be cheap and save more money, or have a more efficient crew and make more money by completing missions quicker.

That would be worth talking about.

• Like 1

A navy captain gets a significant portion of any prize taken. Something like a fifth or a third, IIRC.

A pirate captain gets something like 1/100th, if the crew has 200 men in it. Have fun with that Santi.

Interesting. Sounds like something that shouldn't be too hard to "simulate". (Lower rewards for pirates). But alas, imagine the rage if we tried to make the pirate "nation" less "nationlike" and more "piratey".