Game-Labs Forum

Port Battles - Only open on Weekends?

Port Battles - Only open on Weekends?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Port Battles - Only open on Weekends?

2. 2. Start Friday nights 1800 Server Time until 2400 Sunday night?

I have an idea for PBs.  All ports, except for Capitols and Free Ports, should only be open on the weekend starting at 18:00 server time and lasting until midnight Sunday/early Monday morning server time.  Whoever holds the ports when the timer is up holds that Port for the week until the next weekend.  Those that are already in a PB when the timer is finished have until the Battle Timer is complete to gain/lose that Port for that week.

It will mean that you will have to actually plan for an attack on one or two ports at a time and have the forces to hold that port, because it can just as easily be retaken within the hour of victory.  This would stop - hopefully - the whiny "the ports aren't open when we are online" that occurs.

What do you think?  Add your thoughts below.

Regards

• Like 1

The issue i have with that is that part of the strategy of the game allows also for sneak attacks(well kinda, because of the port attack timer the only opportunity for a sneak attack is on a day the enemy does not expect one), The idea is OK but truthfully it wont fix anything i belive, the port flipping instead of being able to happen every day of the week, will just be limited to 3 days a week

And tough luck to those that work weekends! Totally bad idea. many players may not have free time at weekends for one reason or another. Limiting a large part of game to just 2 days is completely unacceptable and would kill player base during the week.

Edited by MikedaBike
  • Like 2

Honestly, I think we would be well served to examine how ports changed hands in the real world, and step off from there. Off the top of my head:

Invasion

Insurrection

Political Trading

Invasion would be, I think, as port battles currently are, with the added mechanic of part of your fleet having to land marines on land.

Insurrection might be more focused on unrest. Without investing finances and upgrades, ports rebel. This might slow down expansionism, as a lot of the funding going into conquest would instead go into securing.

Political trading would be exchange of ports via treaty, which would be part of a dilpomatic interface.

Compound this with static and AI defenses that I suggested in other threads (a function of upgrading the port), and conquest would become much more deliberate and quite a bit slower, while still allowing for factions to surprise other factions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely not.

However, port investments should create a tiered system of PB limitations. Building a big enough fort could require 24-hr notice of a PB, while the ultimate upgrade on a very few regional capitals could restrict battles to the weekend.

• 4 months later...

I prefer the idea of opening the window for port attack depending of the location of the server.

For Europe BP form 13:00 to 01:00 (GMT+1) and the same for american server and their local timezone.

I fully agree. I live in Europe and since I want to my PBs at 7:00 AM, we should have 7:00 AM - 8:00 AM for starting PBs. :rolleyes: