Game-Labs Forum

[PvP2] Vive La France

Slamz

As of right now we have no qualms with the Brits, we only have an issue with SOB which I keep hearing are the black sheep of the Brits, which is understandable judging by the character of M. Roberts I guess. I would say we are at war with SoB, not the Brits in general and do not mistake this with us trying to get friends we are fine on our own, we would not even consider an alliance with them or the US because we feel they are both big enough to stand alone.

Here you are seemingly in conflict with your own goals again. You seem to want allies but you've done nothing except turn everyone against you. Your only allies are the Swedes, who, let's be honest, do not have the population to even wage war against the French. You say you don't have a problem with the Brits, but you ran out two small British clans in the Southeast and you don't like the largest British clan so I'm a little unclear on which British you actually think do not have qualms with you.

Maybe you could try to ally with the Spanish, who are already at war with the U.S., though, and presumably you have not intentionally pissed them off yet. That might be an interesting power play.

But, and this is important, when allying with the Spanish don't start by invading their area, attacking everyone on the open sea, sacking their ports, talking a lot of smack about it, and then offering them nothing in diplomatic exchanges. This has been demonstrated to be a poor way to create allies among minor nations. Just a little diplomatic pro-tip there, from me to you.

Edited by Slamz

Had we attacked Freds we would have got the full force, that fleet that sailed down to Aves would have just turned back and met us there. They would then have reinforcements on the picket line, a full 25 men contingent to protect the city and 20+ guys left to picket outside. No matter how you turn this, it would have been exactly a mirror of what happened at Aves, we would have failed to cap it and lost all our 3rd rates... all the guys that died would have popped all the way to that Free City in the Dane area with no ships to come back with and yeah, it would have been some nice PVP for sure but nothing more.

I'm telling you this calmly and with a neutral tone, we don't hold a grudge against OMG, all nations have their blood-thirsty clan that will jump at anything that moves even if it knows it's going to lose and I totally understand that. I respect you guys a lot, I'm not trying to diss you or anything here, just weighting the odds... There was a bunch of guys, probably OMG looking at the number of players on the server saying "Oh there's 50 less than 30 min ago, that's all the Brits that went to bed we can go in there and nobody is going to defend".. I mean come on, that was ridiculous and we both know that.. It wasn't even 10pm, not a single soul in their rank went to bed just as not a single soul on our side went to bed... Friday night action man...

Anyways... You keep bringing back the US/Brit combo zerg... There's nothing we can do about that, just as the French can't do anything about what's happening to them. Everyone by default hates pirates in games that has pirates, so no matter what we do, we'll always be a target of everyone and so long as the Brits and US keep kissing instead of trading punches, every single nation smaller than their combo can't do anything about it.

You roll up and get in a fight with 25 guys on the picket, they have to attack you, so no reinforcements. We had more than enough to scatter or sink them before the flag timer was an issue.  Then we pop out and repair up while invis and invuln and start the port battle and again, we still only have to face 25. We were in so much better shape than the Brits at that point that you keep making this argument baffles me, for the last time, THEY WERE OUT OF BIG BOY BOATS.  We had 1k more Brazzilians on the force at Aves in that first battle if they had everything they had that first time (and they didn't, I saw 1 connie and everything else was a frig afterwards) we still would have mauled them. With as big as the difference was in the after fights I bet we would have had enough on the second we could have just crashed the towers and it would have flipped for us without even having to sink even half of them.

All those French and Dutch were just outside to distract you and get you pissing in your boots instead of taking the fight to em.  Your hesitation let them decide we were going to defend Aves again instead of making them defend (and loose) Fred right then.  The "50 of them left" was me making shit up trying to get you lot to stiffen up your pixels and come fight; I was desperate at that point.  I pointed out then you only have to fight 25 at a time but you all were still chittin kittens over the 70 man combined fleet crap...  I really wish you guys had fought in the Bahamas more, USS alone can put up more numbers than that at once.

We could take the fight to the brits and the yanks back in the Bahamas now and make em murder us up that way, or we can wait until they come down and murder us in the Antilles where we have no where to fall back to... I personally would much prefer the former to the latter, and I dont have nearly as much invested in the whole Antillies thing as you guys.

Anyways... You keep bringing back the US/Brit combo zerg... There's nothing we can do about that, just as the French can't do anything about what's happening to them. Everyone by default hates pirates in games that has pirates, so no matter what we do, we'll always be a target of everyone and so long as the Brits and US keep kissing instead of trading punches, every single nation smaller than their combo can't do anything about it.

But the French are doing something about it, it's very apparent when every time I attack a pirate, they start cussing me out.  Why are they doing that if they are "winning"?  Are they winning while they insult me as I board their trader ship recently loaded up with iron?  You are still of the mindset that ports are a measure of success.  In gaming, the measure of success is fun!  In almost every engagement the pirates aren't having fun, they are just raging out, and the French are laughing, joking, helping, and teaching within their own nation.  Pirates are just ripping themselves apart and ragging, who wants to do that?  

I've attacked undefended ports, a waste of my time if you ask me.  You lose gold, ships, and time in exchange for no xp and maybe a crafting note.  I can go in OW with a small fleet and attack pirates, and in the same amount of time it it take to defeat a undefended port, I get gold, xp, fun, and recruits.  Take our ports.....then what?  Run missions against NPCs that are predicable? Go attack the undefended ports of the Sweds, Dutch, or Danes?  Keeping throwing money and ships to do one of the least interesting things in the game.  The worst strategy in any game is to make it not fun for the players.

Example:

Had a new recruit join last night.  We were going to do PvP patrols.  He's said "I don't know I don't have the levels yet.  Been grinding missions for days and just got to lvl 3."  We told him it doesn't matter, grab a cutter and come fight.  3 battles later, before I sign off, he tells me "I'm never doing a mission again, this was so much fun and I got so much xp and gold from this, already to lvl 4, where are we fighting tomorrow?"  Fun is important, and it helps even more that the game makes the fun parts the most rewarding parts, as well.  Port battles = low fun and low reward, PvP =  high fun and high reward.  

Again I say take our ports, and after you are done "winning" you can kick and scream and rage quit, as I take your resources and ships, smiling the whole way. 

• Like 1

I know what we had that night. Had you left a B team force to defend Aves sitting in the port the worst thing that could have happened to you was running into the British that were already heading to Aves and you would have had the exact same OS battle you ended up having out side Aves anyway.

We didn't have a contigent at Aves when you guys hit the second attack... We were all sitting in Deshaies discussing our next move. Everybody was pulling their own way on TS and nobody could agree so we called a council meeting. Everyone voted on whether or not we were going to attack Freds and only one clan wanted to go there, all others said no and that it was best to wait it out.

We then came back into the main TS with a total confusion with people wanting to do this and that, some guys from all clans not agreeing with the vote we had, and pretty much everyone was going their merry way.. Invictus said to hell with it lets cap La Trinité or whatever, I don't even remember... Several were going to just wait a bit and see what happens (that which was voted pretty much), others were bloodthristy and pissed and wanted to attack Freds despite the vote and were pretty much marshalling a team to go there on their own.

At that exact time, the second flag for Aves was dropped and everyone moved back to Aves and it cleared all that confusion, confirming that waiting it out was the best idea... We hadn't been in Deshaies for more than 10 minutes when it happened, not like we messed around all evening not agreeing. 10 minutes....

Anyways, I stand by my opinion that we did exactly what we had to do.

I'll also add this... We did not know it was only one clan or the whole Brit nation against us. That SOB offense could have been simply a ruse to tie us up somewhere and they could have popped another 50 guys from other clans down south at any time for all we knew.

We were prepared for the worse and staying standby to counter moves was in my opinion the best option.

Ok, wait a sec, asking for us to give up our SE ports and let you take 2 more while you give us useless ports is a sign of good faith and an attempt to help the french? Brucy, brucy... thats not a good deal....thats the exact opposite kind of deal you wanna make. We also were given the heads up from other nations that you were planning to backstab us and take our ports once you were done with the british and the french. We confirmed this ourselves by watching the public broadcasts of your leadership meetings. So you cant lie to us. We know. And you know we know. Lets stop playing this game.

British and dutch*

At that exact time, the second flag for Aves was dropped and everyone moved back to Aves and it cleared all that confusion, confirming that waiting it out was the best idea... We hadn't been in Deshaies for more than 10 minutes when it happened, not like we messed around all evening not agreeing. 10 minutes....

Are you not reading what Poe and Bach have been saying?  That was the point of the French picking up the Aves flag, to keep you at Aves.  You did what the enemy wanted you to do, never a good strategy.  

We (french) never had any intention of attempting to take Aves

And if you did manage to you wouldn't have been able to hold it.

I am done beating this drum.

If after seeing the might of the "combined" fleet you guys had up that way and knocking the snot out of it if Brucy still wants to maintain that his call was the right one I will leave him to it.

Ok, wait a sec, asking for us to give up our SE ports and let you take 2 more while you give us useless ports is a sign of good faith and an attempt to help the french? Brucy, brucy... thats not a good deal....thats the exact opposite kind of deal you wanna make. We also were given the heads up from other nations that you were planning to backstab us and take our ports once you were done with the british and the french. We confirmed this ourselves by watching the public broadcasts of your leadership meetings. So you cant lie to us. We know. And you know we know. Lets stop playing this game.

British and dutch*

I'm not even going to talk about that meeting ever again because I was not there and I heard a million versions of what happened in there. I trust the pirate version over any other non-sense I heard from any of you Frenchies. I know what mandate the leaders had and I've been assured that it was proposed exactly as is. It was a legit deal that was going to stop the ROFLSTOMP that's going on right now. You failed to attack a Brit port when we attacked Puerto de Espana... That meeting was called, we made it clear that neutral port just east of the Free City we wanted and you guys told us off, and went for that port while we were attacking El Toco or whatever the name it is. Any version of what happened that is different than this is just spin and propaganda.

We never had any intention to move on the Dutch as far as the alliance goes. When the very first clans moved up here, some wanted to take the Gibraltar bay but that was a long time ago and that idea died when they moved out east. We still hold no grudge with the Dutch, despite them attacking us, but we now know it is one clan within the Dutch and kinda like SOB is to the Brits, they are just a small portion acting like they are leaders of the nation. Long story short, we do not plan on moving on the Dutch and the next few weeks will be a testimony to that. We have no intention to move on the Swedes or Danes, in fact both of these nations congratulated us on our victory and told us they were happy we pushed the Brits out. They'd rather have us, a peaceful and non expansionist nation, than having the Green/Red Crayola gang on their backs.

In fact, I'll go ahead and theorize the only reason the Dutch even had the guts to join that alliance is that they've probably been fed lies to prompt them to move.They knew from the get-go that they had no power to do anything and they played the "lets move the pirates out" card and failed. We don't even care that they did, we might have done the same in their place, it was a legit and ballsy move, but it didn't work out.

We have never backstabbed an ally. I beg you to find otherwise. In fact, I'd even dare say we probably are the only nation that didn't backstab an ally.

And if you did manage to you wouldn't have been able to hold it.

I am done beating this drum.

If after seeing the might of the "combined" fleet you guys had up that way and knocking the snot out of it if Brucy still wants to maintain that his call was the right one I will leave him to it.

Hey agree to disagree bro, but you made valid points, I'm having second thoughts about what I estimated would be a sure loss. I guess that's the careful strategist in me and the berserker in you, maybe both options were just as good. In the end, we made our stand, defended our assets, pushed the Brits out down south and took Freds back, so even though it's not as glorious as you wish it was, we still won the round across the board. No hard feelings, I love you guys.

• Like 1

Are you not reading what Poe and Bach have been saying?  That was the point of the French picking up the Aves flag, to keep you at Aves.  You did what the enemy wanted you to do, never a good strategy.  

Getting us all there and not taking that opportunity to do something useful with it was just as bad then. Had there been another 2-3 prong attack while we were tied up in Aves "taking the bait" you guys might have had a chance to do some actual damage.

We (french) never had any intention of attempting to take Aves

Pretty much.  We had zero intention of actually planting the flag.

Getting us all there and not taking that opportunity to do something useful with it was just as bad then. Had there been another 2-3 prong attack while we were tied up in Aves "taking the bait" you guys might have had a chance to do some actual damage.

We were looking for PVP pure and simple.  

If mechanics were there so that allies could join in the port battle, it would have been a different story probably.

Hey agree to disagree bro, but you made valid points, I'm having second thoughts about what I estimated would be a sure loss. I guess that's the careful strategist in me and the berserker in you, maybe both options were just as good. In the end, we made our stand, defended our assets, pushed the Brits out down south and took Freds back, so even though it's not as glorious as you wish it was, we still won the round across the board. No hard feelings, I love you guys.

Oh ya mate, don't mistake anything I say here as anything but discourse.  I mean after all, if we were all working together think how easy it would be to spy on us.

we made it clear that neutral port just east of the Free City we wanted and you guys told us off, and went for that port while we were attacking El Toco or whatever the name it is. Any version of what happened that is different than this is just spin and propaganda.

That's exactly what happened.  Not even being sarcastic.

What you don't seem to realize is, that neutral port was where a lot of us had outposts, because it was the only accessible port in the area with iron and hemp.  Your "deal" was for us to give up our only iron/hemp port and try to scratch up resources elsewhere.  Maybe one of the British ports you so graciously offered to let us attack might have had iron/hemp, or maybe not.  We didn't know.  What we did know is that the one local port where we knew we could get iron & hemp, you wanted us to let you lock us out of it.

Obviously the answer was going to be no, and obviously we took immediate steps to defend it.

Edited by Taralin Snow

You seem to think we agreed to something. You told us what you wanted us to do and we disagreed. We didnt wait for you to take the port in question, we took it ourselves.

Us? Spew propaganda? Thats a load of crap.

I am a diplomat at heart. I love forging alliances and agreements. Taking the fight to an enemy. Grand strategy. To suggest the french are lying about what happened is ridiculous. I was part of that information gathering crew. I heard what I heard. Even if I didnt ive got loads of experience dealing with shifty clans and what you offered stinked of fuggery so bad you could smell it a hundred miles away.

Perhaps this is a result of the fractured nature of the pirate alliance. Perhaps you were making concessions to certain factions who *had* to have something guaranteed in any French deal.

Either way, it was a poor deal poorly offered.

2/24 Pedernales Defense Report

Belligerents:

25 pirates

vs

25 French (plus 3 towers)

Casualties:

Pirate:

13 pirates sunk

1 pirate blown off his ship in an explosion, captured and executed

1 pirate surrendered, tried for piracy, then executed and ship confiscated

10 pirates successfully escaped

15 total killed.

French:

(3 towers destroyed)

4 French sunk

1 French blown off his ship in an explosion, missing and presumed dead

5 total killed.

Result:

Decisive French victory.

Towards the end, we were afraid of the Shrinking Circle of Doom because we had never seen it happen and weren't sure how fast it collapsed. So a lot of the pirates got room to escape. Better safe than sorry, we figured. Turns out the circle closes at a rate of maybe 10 knots and is REALLY far away and never really gets all that small, so we could have hunted them down with impunity. Next time.

post-11133-0-55641100-1456386854_thumb.png

Edited by Slamz

That's exactly what happened. Not even being sarcastic.

What you don't seem to realize is, that neutral port was where a lot of us had outposts, because it was the only accessible port in the area with iron and hemp. Your "deal" was for us to give up our only iron/hemp port and try to scratch up resources elsewhere. Maybe one of the British ports you so graciously offered to let us attack might have had iron/hemp, or maybe not. We didn't know. What we did know is that the one local port where we knew we could get iron & hemp, you wanted us to let you lock us out of it.

Obviously the answer was going to be no, and obviously we took immediate steps to defend it.

Which is exactly why we were in the council to hash things out. Sure we had our wants, but none the less y'all didn't even try to negotiate. Instead, someone forgot to put Slamz's leash on and he went half cocked telling us all off in that scared quivering voice of his; telling us where to go, and how to get there. Then in a show of glory pronouncing "BRING ON THE SHITSTORM!"

Slamz did you guys a favor. He made your beds, now ya'll gotta sleep on it! ....or ya know... Sink him and send us a vid of it... Add some cool effects like some zoom on the chat window where he's raging and stuff. Good music is a plus too.

Edited by Yonaise

Slamz did you guys a favor. He made your beds, now ya'll gotta sleep it on! ....or ya know... Sink him and send us a vid of it... Add some cool effects like some zoom on the chat window where he's raging and stuff. Good music is a plus too.

I admit, I'm a little surprised at how well the French team has taken all of this. If there are upset people, they are keeping awfully quiet about it. Everyone seems to agree that given a choice of losing literally every port or surrendering to the pirates, we would rather just lose all our ports and fight them in any way we can.

We are, in the end, PvPing on a PvP server in a game we played because we liked the PvP. And we all joined a team we knew going into this would be an underdog. And we're testing the limits of a game in alpha, where limits should be tested. Your tantalizing offer of declaring peace so we can all sit around and farm NPCs for a month in a safe zone while having the biggest douchebags on the server for allies was very tempting, though.

Im not mad we are losing ports. There are a few people who like shiny things and colored dots, yes, but by no means are they a large percentage.

Had fun tonight up north facing trins belle poules surprises and renomees in my cerberus....by myself....outnumbered 5:1. Lots of good xp.

I learned its not a good idea to go to comp du roy alone for repairs.

*shrugs* the more you know.

• Like 1

I'm a pirate player and I can honestly say without a doubt that the french are really mad that they are losing ports.

First:  As a pirate, how would you know?  You automatically disqualified your own statement before you said it.  

Second:  Umm, no. We're having fun.  I'd rather fight pirates than run missions.  Win or lose.  The fact we are outnumbered 5 to 1 simply makes every victory sweeter and every defeat more than tolerable.  While we are beating you AGAIN in one port, you sneak around and take another but that is not based on skill or strategy, it's purely numbers.  For you and most other pirates to be so cocky about the fact there are simply more of you is, frankly, immature.  It's like saying if I could put 60 men on the football field at once, I could beat the Broncos if they field 11, thus I am better than the Broncos, and the Broncos are a bunch of cry babies.  Pound for pound, ship class to ship class, player to player, the French are better than the pirates even if they are in better crafted ships.  Just because we can't field 75 players to defend 3 ports at once doesn't change that. 

Third:  The fact we have gotten under your skin so much is quite enjoyable.  

• Like 1

That's exactly what happened.  Not even being sarcastic.

What you don't seem to realize is, that neutral port was where a lot of us had outposts, because it was the only accessible port in the area with iron and hemp.  Your "deal" was for us to give up our only iron/hemp port and try to scratch up resources elsewhere.  Maybe one of the British ports you so graciously offered to let us attack might have had iron/hemp, or maybe not.  We didn't know.  What we did know is that the one local port where we knew we could get iron & hemp, you wanted us to let you lock us out of it.

We were letting you have Saint-Joseph which has good iron.. But I guess Slamz told you we wanted that too?

Slamz did you guys a favor. He made your beds, now ya'll gotta sleep on it!

We go to bed every night fat on the corpses of Pirates. The Pirates rest on undefended towers.

I love the French team. We play a more fun game then the Pirates do.  We have constant PVP and an abundance of soft PVE players to eat from. Eventually the Pirates are going to grasp that we aren't playing the same game you are. Our idea's of fun and success aren't the same as yours.

You have given us everything we enjoy and you left your best fighters in the Bahamas.

You do realize you are giving us exactly what we wanted right?

Edited by Vllad
  • Like 1