Game-Labs Forum

Server names and sub forum names

admin

After long deliberations we have decided to go with the cities for names for servers. There are a lot of beautiful city names we have already on the map that sound neutral, do not provide psychological preference bias. All other options (winds, fishes, gods, ship parts) have the bias that could influence player's choice (tiger vs sheep)

Proposed names

Plymouth - PVP One EU

West End - PvP Two USA

Rugged Cay - PvP Three EU

Cayo Romano - PVE One USA

Additional servers will be based on free town or other neutral names from our historical research. 

Same names will be used for names of sub forums.

• Like 10

The only one which might skew the server population is Plymouth on an EU server. This might pull english (choosing GB) onto one server the same way naming a US server Cape Canaveral would mess up the US national population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMNB_Devonport

Wouldn't have too much of a problem with naming a US server Plymouth :)

Edited by Fellvred

I'm w/LeBoiteux

Not overly fond of city names for a world

Im partial to Greek/Roman water Gods/mythological names for the servers, but thats me.

I AM however, curious as to why there is not a complete merging of servers aka EVE? Not exactly sure why we've got a PvE server or a server

such as US1-2 when ping is such a non-issue, grats on that part btw, thats like a Nobel Peace prize for the interwebs.

Has merging servers been looked at again? Reconsidered? I just think the vastness of the world would lend itself much better to everyone being on

one server.

I'm w/LeBoiteux

Not overly fond of city names for a world

Im partial to Greek/Roman water Gods/mythological names for the servers, but thats me.

I AM however, curious as to why there is not a complete merging of servers aka EVE? Not exactly sure why we've got a PvE server or a server

such as US1-2 when ping is such a non-issue, grats on that part btw, thats like a Nobel Peace prize for the interwebs.

Has merging servers been looked at again? Reconsidered? I just think the vastness of the world would lend itself much better to everyone being on

one server.

there are technical problems as to why this is not possible, there are also pvp and rvr reasons why this is not possible

there are technical problems as to why this is not possible, there are also pvp and rvr reasons why this is not possible

Hogwash

Tech problems, I can potentially understand, I can toss a bone on that, simply because of financial reasons, holding/operating servers required for having everyone together may be more expensive, at least according to general conversations on the interwebs.

PvE, PvP, RvR reasons, is not a reason. Its a decision, one, I dont agree with, and not because I'm a hardcore PvP'er, because generally speaking Im not. But, the vastness, the massive size of the map, the simple fact that we all know of certain areas on the map, that no-one outside of your specific nation ever goes that is more than capable of providing trade, PvE, economy, grouping of any type and never be deterred by someone of another faction. There's spots on the map, I've been on w/more than nation that I've played, attacked AI, traded, just wandered around and haven't seen a soul for 4hrs. Saying that PvE players need a specific 'don't touch me server' is just not correct.

• Like 1

Hogwash

Tech problems, I can potentially understand, I can toss a bone on that, simply because of financial reasons, holding/operating servers required for having everyone together may be more expensive, at least according to general conversations on the interwebs.

PvE, PvP, RvR reasons, is not a reason. Its a decision, one, I dont agree with, and not because I'm a hardcore PvP'er, because generally speaking Im not. But, the vastness, the massive size of the map, the simple fact that we all know of certain areas on the map, that no-one outside of your specific nation ever goes that is more than capable of providing trade, PvE, economy, grouping of any type and never be deterred by someone of another faction. There's spots on the map, I've been on w/more than nation that I've played, attacked AI, traded, just wandered around and haven't seen a soul for 4hrs. Saying that PvE players need a specific 'don't touch me server' is just not correct.

ok then lets start

1. what if we split up the map in regions? and one region is full, what happens when an attack fleet of say 50 people attack the other region? well they cant come on

2. we cant synch the map across servers as that is open for abuse.

• Like 1

ok then lets start

1. what if we split up the map in regions? and one region is full, what happens when an attack fleet of say 50 people attack the other region? well they cant come on

2. we cant synch the map across servers as that is open for abuse.

What about a shard system and instanced system?

Say every PB is hosted on a shard? Every battle? Every person docked in a port?  You enter a battle you connect to a shard.  Battle ends you connect back to the main server.  You dock up you connect to a shard?  Enter OW connect back to main server.

I think this system would relieve a lot of the resource drain on the server at a given time.  Honestly how many of the 3k people on peek hours of pvp 1 are on the open seas at a given time?

I really do think it is a huge problem for the longevity of the game to have such an immense map and divide the player base.

Its a niche type game as it is.  We need a way to get the entire game population to be able to play together for the world to really feel alive.  

As is is now, unless your in a hub,  you can sail for hours without seeing another soul. 

I'm hoping that enough technical optimization and funds would have come in from EA that by release they can just release the game with a single OW. I find it very ineffeciecent to have the game spread across 4 servers. Only 1 ever gets filled up and the game is truely 'the more the merrier'.

I tried to start a thread under general with a detailed proposal for a shard based 1 main server which feel is very possibly even with the current infrastructure without breaking RVR or making exploits possible.   It needs to be reviewed by the admins before it appears though for whatever reason.  

Please keep an eye out for the post and contribute to the conversation. 

Thanks,

Babble

Edit:

Link http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/10213-possible-solution-to-server-merger-and-game-pop-discussion/

Edited by Babble

Why name one server from a great city, and the other 3 from mere colonies, or less known towns?

I would like something like:

-Plymouth

-Portsmouth

-Dover

-Weymouth

-Bristol

Or, if thats too much english names, then:

-Plymouth

-Brest

-Copenhagen

-Toulon

-Kronstadt

-Feodosia

-Göteborg

-Cadiz

-Gibraltar

-Algericas

(basically naval base cities)

To me, it feels like a server named from a famous city will be more attractive to people, than some less important ports.

Edited by kumisz

• 5 months later...

After long deliberations we have decided to go with the cities for names for servers. There are a lot of beautiful city names we have already on the map that sound neutral, do not provide psychological preference bias. All other options (winds, fishes, gods, ship parts) have the bias that could influence player's choice (tiger vs sheep)

Proposed names

Plymouth - PVP One EU

West End - PvP Two USA

Rugged Cay - PvP Three EU

Cayo Romano - PVE One USA

Additional servers will be based on free town or other neutral names from our historical research. 

Same names will be used for names of sub forums.

Bump: So when will this be implemented/ voted for ?