Game-Labs Forum

Reductio ad absurdum is a mode of argumentation that seeks to establish a contention by deriving an absurdity from its denial .....

http://www.iep.utm.edu/reductio/

You are better than that Johny Reb.

----

Either this is an "age of sail" game - or it is not. I simply prefer that it is ...... Don't hate me because I'm Beautiful.

The simple fact is that the CSA and the flag didn't come into existence until the mid 19th Century, so it just as inappropriate for the game as the mid 19th Century Italian Flag:

The simple fact is that the name "Ampaholic" wasn't a name in the age of sail, so it is just as inappropriate for the game as their use of the Confederate flag. 

The simple fact is that neither "The Decatur Armada, Tattered Flags nor Sealords Royal Navy" existed in the age of sail, so it is just as inappropriate for the game as their use of the Confederate flag.

NB: To SeaWolf and his comrades, i wish you the best of luck with your fleet! 

• Like 3

We had similar conversations before on the Russian speaking forum. 

The rule is very simple

Potentially offensive or controversial political discussions outside of the Age of Sail timeline are not allowed and will be moderated.

• Like 1

Reductio ad absurdum is a mode of argumentation that seeks to establish a contention by deriving an absurdity from its denial .....

http://www.iep.utm.edu/reductio/

You are better than that Johny Reb.

----

Either this is an "age of sail" game - or it is not. I simply prefer that it is ...... Don't hate me because I'm Beautiful.

I like to think of it as taking an argument to its logical extreme. Its like people who think the rich should pay more taxes. Well how much more? 50%, 75%, 100%? Where is the line? The argument I use is simply used to highlight the problem that is created when one group in a historical fiction mmo like naval action accuses another of not meeting their standards of historical relevance. For crying out loud, we have better battles to fight. :)  Nothing about the clan structure has any connection to reality whatsoever so why use a historical argument to criticize a group that no one is forcing you to be a part of?

So my argument has relevance but as you point out is not "gotcha argument."

• Like 1

I think the rule here is clear:

"Potentially offensive or controversial political discussions outside of the Age of Sail timeline are not allowed and will be moderated."

Unless your post is concerning joining the OP guild I suggest you take any political views to PM's and avoid this open arena. I am sure the OP is reviewing his decision on a ahistorical name and emblem and may well decide to change it. Until then lets not interfere with their recruitment based on our personal views.

Thank you

• Like 3

After thought and discussion in the guild we have agreed that we don't want to have drama with our guild just because of the name/flag of it. So we will be changing it but fully support anyone who would want to use the name/flag or the banners for it. Thanks to everyone who supported us but we want to have fun and not have to deal with anymore drama than we have to. we will make a topic about our new "name" in due time so stay tuned if you want to come up with ways to make drama with the new name/flag.

PS(lock or delete topic if need be)

Fair winds.

• Like 4