Game-Labs Forum

National traits (faction differences)

All nations had their own naval traditions and tactics that made them different. Would/should these implemented in a small way to give each nation it own flavor? Not very big bonus but just enough to notice and give variety except for the pirates and neutrals which honestly need some large modifier:

possible examples:

Britain: +5% fire rate -5% crew size

Spain: +5% crew size -5% fire rate

France: +100% to run away (jk +5% to boarding action effectivness -5% speed)

Dutch: +10% to sale prices for trade goods and +10% cargo capacity, -10% crew size

Denmark: +5% hull HP, -5% speed

Sweden: +5% damage dealt +.01% chance for SotL to sink when you turn .... cough Vasa... cough Kronan

United States: Frigates cost 15% less SotL cost 15% more

Neutral: -20% crew size, -5% to combat effectiveness, (reload, hull HP) (maybe given the ability to join a specific nation later?)

Pirate: +50% crew size on ships below Frigate, +10% speed on ships below Frigate, , -50% ship sale price, -20% crew size and speed on ships Frigate size or larger. No option for SotL (false flags usable aswell?)

Honestly the primary nation traits I could do without but I do believe that the pirates and neutral should have significant factor bonuses/handicaps

edited : words

edit2: opps forgot the US

Edit 3: scrap the primary nation idea, what about just the pirate/nuetral gameplay changes?

Edited by Muinko
  • Like 1

While the idea is interesting,

Personally, I'm going to have to say " No " to the idea. Having such additions/limitations for Nations would handcuff a players ability to play how they would like for their chosen nation.

Ex: If a new player choose to sail under the Spanish flag, but also wants to be a Trader for that Nation. He's now a lesser Trader then any of the Nations with a +10% cargo/sale price bonus. 

So in short, if he wants to be an effective trader he's now forced to a nation that has Trading bonuses? 

However, your idea could work as a Nation sub-choice . Every nation would have the same bonuses in certain fields but broken down into " Career Paths "

Military Captain - +5% crew/gunnery skills (unlocks SOL's)

Trade Captain  -  +5% cargo hold/sale price (unlocks Merchant vessels)

So on and so fourth. This would at least allow a player to choose their Nation. And then their career path that best suits their play style.

~Cheers

• Like 1

Personally, I'm going to have to say " No " to the idea. Having such additions/limitations for Nations would handcuff a players ability to play how they would like for their chosen nation.

Ex: If a new player choose to sail under the Spanish flag, but also wants to be a Trader for that Nation. He's now a lesser Trader then any of the Nations with a +10% cargo/sale price bonus. 

So in short, if he wants to be an effective trader he's now forced to a nation that has Trading bonuses? 

However, your idea could work as a Nation sub-choice . Every nation would have the same bonuses in certain fields but broken down into " Career Paths "

So on and so fourth. This would at least allow a player to choose their Nation. And then their career path that best suits their play style.

~Cheers

This would be too similar to classes for which we are trying to avoid,

~Cheers

Maybe something along the lines of a commission that you could buy and be applied to your "character" that has a certain time frame associated with it. ie

naval commission-

+10% crew size, fire rate and it unlocks SotL, 100k for 30 days

Trade company charter- 

+10% trade income(waived tariffs or the like), unlocks merchantman 80k for 30days

wouldn't be necessary until you got to endgame and could be implemented in kinda a premium time ala WoT to help the dev monetize the game ( I know people hate that pay to win but it could be bought by players for real world money and put onto the market for in game money and it will give the dev more money to flush out the game more, because lets face it more money for the game devs is a good thing)

EDIT: although hiding the Sotl behind a paywall would kinda suck so might want to rethink that. 

Edited by Muinko

I was actually thinking about this the other day. Personally I'd be in favour of this, however it would have to be very well thought out, and done properly, so that no nation had one distinct advantage over another. It would have to be little subtle traits or perks. Preferably it wouldn't be combat based perks either, like +1% extra damage or +2.5% more armour, as that would stir up a lot of controversy. At the same time, you don't want only one single trait for each nation, but instead have multiple traits catering to all aspects of the game. That would stop certain nations from being considered primarily economy focused, or others being more battle focused. However, I can see this as being something added later in development when economy and nations are in full swing, and perhaps even PVE or missions. Then there would be a lot more content to create traits from.

For those not familiar with national traits, or at least examples of them, take a look at this link:  http://www.civfanatics.com/civ5/civilizations

In Civilization V, the national traits added a lot of depth and a whole other dimension to the game. Instead of simply choosing a country because it's your favourite (like many games), you actually have the delve deeper and think about how you want to play the game, and what traits will suit that play style. 

All men are created equal

Ok so we can scrap the nation traits idea, but what about the non-nation factions? There are significantly different as the devs have stated that pirates are not really a nation ans neither are the neutrals.

• 6 months later...

Just started playing the game and the open world and battles seem very very promising. 

I would love to see more differentiation between the various nations.  Seems to me certain factions should have certain advantages / access to certain resources that others may have less of.  In the same logic, certain nations should have different ship selections....  Example: France could have faster access to 32 Gun Frigates, while England might have more experience starting crews...

Well, why dont you make a proposal that includes all the nations?

The best way to get a proper discussion going is by making a more eborate and solid proposal.

You say:

France - Faster small size frigates

Britain - More experienced crews

Potential additions:

Dutch -  Shallow drafted ships, meaning bigger sized ships can participate in small battles and have less issue with shallows.

Pirates - Morale bonus and boarding combat bonus

So, lets put some solid, simple and in this format, suggestions forward. Then we will make a list of suggetions per nation and start discussing which one would be the best one. :)

• Like 2

I personally don't like each nation to have special benefits, as one stat will make one nation seem to be the more preferred than another.  I prefer battles to be out of skill of players, not the extra bonus multipliers for which nation you pick.

However, I am not opposed for individual nations to have special national ships, which can only be crafted by that nation.

• Like 5

I would like the ability to select your own ship color, but I don't know if that should be restricted to particular nations.  Personally, I would get bored with seeing the same ship paint color for all of my ships from cutter to ship-of-the-line.

It's also not just the paint color, but also how the hull is marked up, some have extra lines between the gun deck, others paint the lower hull different colors.  It was suggested in a post a while back, but it is probably buried under hundreds if not thousands of threads by now...

I would love it if players were able to paint up their ships to seem like they have more gun ports than they really do.  I hope that one day they will remove the ability for us to be able to see the health bars, number of crew and gun ports on enemy ships, or even the name of players and ships on the list when you press Tab, so people could disguise their trade ships to appear like warships to frighten away the people with not well trained eyes.

I don't know if i would promote stat differences of the characters of different nations themselves, but I think that as the number of available ships in game increases - that some nations should be able to buy certain hulls from their "shipwrights" while others would  have to commandeer them.  As an example: the English and French were constantly stealing one another's ships and refitting them.  French hull designs tended to be faster and more maneuverable but less sturdy than the English or Spanish ones.

That introduces a related issue in the game: I think that durability of captured ships should be improvable via "crafting".  The Pirate faction would for example not be able to buy low rate ships (1-4) from the AI in their own ports, but would be able to buy ones from other pirates and be good at improving the durability of a captured ship.  Note that the improvement of Durability could be limited to a one time instance for any given ship.

As enough ships are added to the game, perhaps the ships specific to each nation could be more accessible for crafters of that nation. Maybe some would be unlocked by default at the appropriate level, blueprints for others would be more likely to appear while crafting.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this has been brought up before but I would like to see every nation have their own first rate, including a Pirate version, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Individual crafters would not be able to craft another factions first rate, instead if you wanted a different nations first rate you would have to capture it in battle. For eg: if you saw a Brit in a Santisima or a Pirate in a Victory then you knew that he/she had won it with their blood, sweat and tears in battle. I see this to be a source of pride for those captains that manage to achieve this and to introduce a bit of a challenge for top tier Captains. To clarify, I only propose that this be the case for First Rates and crafting of other ships up to second rate should be open as is now the case.

Some thoughts for First rate strengths and weaknesses:

Spanish Santisima - Slow, most canons of any first rate. ( as is now the case and why everyone wants one.)

British Victory - more maneuverable, slightly higher rate of fire. ( historically British gun crews were known to be among the finest of the period.)

Pirate ?? - take more damage, higher crew for boarding actions.

These are only general ideas to generate discussion, I would appreciate any ideas of your own.