Game-Labs Forum

OW: Deck view as default

Hi.

As you may know, I'm not really getting the feel of sailing in OW right now.

I understand the limitations and devs decision, I know they are doing their best, and I know it will change in the future.

What I discovered was that when I "sail" zoomed in to the deck, It feels much much better. The immersion boost was extreme!

I suggest making the "Deck view" the main view for the OW. (There could be circumstances when you can zoom out (being static could be one of those circumstances).)

Giving the option to make the sails even more transparent would be great as well.

Flattening the sea would add another step in making it feel right.

In addition to the Deck view, it would be lovely to add spy glass to the OW as the main way of spotting ships.

You would be able to get information about the ship only using the spyglass in longer ranges, by looking at them without spyglass in shorter ranges (like in battle instances).

You would be able to see the flag of the ship (with possibility to include "false" flags in the future), without having to click twice for each ship.

You would not have to click the ship (which is not really user friendly when the ship is on the horizon) and than another click to hail the ship.

Opinions?

Edited by 312_Jura
  • Like 1

In all honesty - I'd love 2-3 different deck views (Front, Mid, Back) along with what we already have. Not only in OW but also in the Battle Instances. 

I think it adds immersion as well ;)

Buoyancy is a WIP and it's constantly getting better. (Tester's who got into OW before me can confirm this). ^^ 

I believe the Dev's are working on the Spyglass stuff for OW (Someone else can elaborate - I don't exactly remember what the conclusion was the last time we discussed this). 

- For now there is more important stuff for the dev's to focus on but i hope these thing's are added as well. ^^

• Like 1

I understand what you are suggesting and strangely enough when I first started playing Sea Trials this was how I played, I found it easier then. But I kept crashing into other ships, it was hard to judge distances and rates of turn. So I switched to remote view as a matter of control. I don't think I would be able to maneuver effectively in deck view mode no matter how realistic it is.

I understand what you are suggesting and strangely enough when I first started playing Sea Trials this was how I played, I found it easier then. But I kept crashing into other ships, it was hard to judge distances and rates of turn. So I switched to remote view as a matter of control. I don't think I would be able to maneuver effectively in deck view mode no matter how realistic it is.

I guess you are talking about Battle instances. (you can't crash into other ships in OW)

My post was about OW.

Personally i am zoomed in as close to the deck as possible when in a battle. It feels much more immersive.

- I'm talking about OW and Battle Instances. 

- - And ofcourse, it's nothing more than an "option" and you won't have to use it if you don't like it ^^ 

Personally i am zoomed in as close to the deck as possible when in a battle. It feels much more immersive.

- - And ofcourse, it's nothing more than an "option" and you won't have to use it if you don't like it ^^ 

I'm actually against it being an "option" in OW.

Edited by 312_Jura

Erhh why? 

- I like being able to also go to 3rd person just to take a look at my ship (In the OW as well, even the simplified model's are great). 

Because you get an advantage in better view range in 3rd person view right now.

As I said, you would still be able to see your ship in 3rd person, but only under certain circumstances.

Hi.

As you may know, I'm not really getting the feel of sailing in OW right now.

I understand the limitations and devs decision, I know they are doing their best, and I know it will change in the future.

What I discovered was that when I "sail" zoomed in to the deck, It feels much much better. The immersion boost was extreme!

I suggest making the "Deck view" the main view for the OW. (There could be circumstances when you can zoom out (being static could be one of those circumstances).)

Giving the option to make the sails even more transparent would be great as well.

In addition to the Deck view, it would be lovely to add spy glass to the OW as the main way of spotting ships.

You would be able to get information about the ship only using the spyglass in longer ranges, by looking at them without spyglass in shorter ranges (like in battle instances).

You would be able to see the flag of the ship (with possibility to include "false" flags in the future), without having to click twice for each ship.

You would not have to click the ship (which is not really user friendly when the ship is on the horizon) and than another click to hail the ship.

Opinions?

My opinion, is that having an option to view from the deck or view from the masthead (Which is roughly the default view) or from 3rd person floating camera just behind your ship is perfectly fine as an option for players to use in OW.

Changing the game so that only 'your' preferred view is used is not fine.  If you want to view the OW from the deck please do so, everyong else can make their own mind up for what suits their style of play best.

I would like the telescope view in OW, its advantage could be that fleet composition of distant ships is only revealed once you have viewed them through the telescope, or they approach to a closer distance. The telescope could also be used to identify distant ports before OW travel name markers appear.

Opinions?

In all honesty - I'd love 2-3 different deck views (Front, Mid, Back) along with what we already have. Not only in OW but also in the Battle Instances. 

I think it adds immersion as well ;)

- For now there is more important stuff for the dev's to focus on but i hope these thing's are added as well. ^^

- And ofcourse, it's nothing more than an "option" and you won't have to use it if you don't like it ^^

I think that will be better have two view; one on the deck of the ship, and other on the top of the mast, this view willbe to wacht the sails and explore

My opinion, is that having an option to view from the deck or view from the masthead (Which is roughly the default view)

I would like the telescope view in OW, its advantage could be that fleet composition of distant ships is only revealed once you have viewed them through the telescope, or they approach to a closer distance. The telescope could also be used to identify distant ports .

Wow, gotta love these ideas. Looks like there are lots of people who enjoy the realism of the game. Immersion appreciation. Although it's heavy handed to impose immersion on everyone but perhaps a little extra cash and/or experience could be allotted for those that play at higher difficulty settings.

I'm pretty happy right now with the immersion at the deck level. I get excited thinking about added features that may be added once we get the combat mechanics figured out. But NA is still an infant and she is just learning to walk. Asking too much is sort of like loading our baby up with a rucksack before she is able to run. None the less it is good for the devs to know what we want so they can plan for it if they see the need, work it into the big picture.

I'd' like if we could move; forward and back on deck, and up the mast, for different views from the first person on our ship. Having the telescope in the Open World will be helpful. And flags, (banners and pennants) on all the ships in open world. Would be great to be able to identify a ship from a distance by her colors.

I would NOT want to flatten the sea. I'm eagerly awaiting bigger waves (swells) and storms that can damage the ship ... but that's off topic.

Here is a little raw unedited footage of combat from the deck.

The sole problem with deckview only is your overview.

It alredy escalated in the sea trials when a player insisted on playing on decklevel view and (got) rammed (by) a friendly.

He didnt check his surroundings clear enough. He broke the line of battle and the friendly Consitution ran over him.

I understand the wish for immersion. But it is at the cost of your overview, situational awareness. And if everyone is bound to the deckview I wonder how many crashes will happen. With all the AI around thats soon gonna happen.

The initial idea for this game was deckview only btw. But it was very soon abandonded due to given reasons.

The current system is a compromise between immersion and gameplay. And only a few persons complain(ed) about it.

For those who want the deckview they can already play this way. I know its not a very good one, standing on one place but its certainly an option.

The sole problem with deckview only is your overview.

It alredy escalated in the sea trials when a player insisted on playing on decklevel view and (got) rammed (by) a friendly.

He didnt check his surroundings clear enough. He broke the line of battle and the friendly Consitution ran over him.

I understand the wish for immersion. But it is at the cost of your overview, situational awareness. And if everyone is bound to the deckview I wonder how many crashes will happen. With all the AI around thats soon gonna happen.

The initial idea for this game was deckview only btw. But it was very soon abandonded due to given reasons.

The current system is a compromise between immersion and gameplay. And only a few persons complain(ed) about it.

For those who want the deckview they can already play this way. I know its not a very good one, standing on one place but its certainly an option.

Does this mean that we, in the future, shouldn't be allowed more options? :) 

The camera-system in place is indeed a good compromise. With a simple mouse-scroll you are able to choose the view that suits you (mostly).

On which zoom-level you spawn with isn´t something to object to imo.

I´m not that familiar with camera-systems in games, but i could imagine that the one we have now does exclude others, like different PoV´s (pan/tilt/zoom cameras) set on bow, stern, quarterdeck.

I´d love to see those, but i´m not sure if it´s technically possible.

Same thing with the telescope. Doesn´t the one in battles just blend out your ship-model and allow you to zoom-in instead of zoom-out, but it´s basically the same camera as the 3rd person-view?

So it would have its issues in regard to the travel-speed/animation-thingy (clipping the waterline)

A bit of smattering going on right here  :P, but if i´m totally wrong and more camera-options are to come, incl. spy-glass in OW: I´d rather like to see flags on ships than crew or cannons if server-load leaves room for such things.

Edited by Styles

Does this mean that we, in the future, shouldn't be allowed more options? :)

Dont interprete things I didnt write, ty.

About OW deckview:

I see what you want but still dont like it.

However I could see the use of a viewing angle wich is set up on the royal yard. On the cross trees to be accurate.

It may make your wish work. Wont be a lot to code since we already can "climb up" to that look-out with the free camera.

To clarify:

Have deckview AND that outlook view

• Like 1