Game-Labs Forum

Questions to developers

each sail is modeled for its own.

Means if you loose your sprit sails you will loose the wind force most forward to your ship. This will result in a performance loss close hauled and when you want to turn downwind.

Loosing any of the sails amidships (loosing or just beeing damaged) means a lesser upwnd performance.

Au contraire - if you loose some quare sails you loose downwind quality. And the repective sailpreassure of dismantled sail in regards to turning.

I see trader lynx, trader cutter, trader brig and trader snow models as placeholders, can we expect to see proper ships filling these roles in the future ?  Or at least makes them with gun ports closed if you have no time for that. And maybe with more historical hold size (right now there is no real reason to sail anything bigger than a trader cutter or lynx for cargo hauling.)

Also can we expect a remodel or at least a reskin of the Surprise, textures looks dull and don't meet the actual quality of the last ships you released, please say yes, it's a very popular ship. 

Keep on the good work !

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec

(right now there is no real reason to sail anything bigger than a trader cutter or lynx for cargo hauling.)

If I want to haul crafted live oak log (weight 4.0) I could easily use a cargo ship with twice the hold of a LGV ;)

... (right now there is no real reason to sail anything bigger than a trader cutter or lynx for cargo hauling.)

If you trade regularly you need fleets of trader brigs, snows and lgvs and the maximum outposts.  Indiaman is unnecessary maybe but nice at least for live oak or special runs.  Wood is 2.5 or 4 weight factor, and if you making long runs or visit multiple ports during a planned outing then you want to maximize what you're holding and a lynx or cutter usually won't do.  With 0.5 weight like tobacco you can get away with smaller ships.

Edited by Jean Ribault

Question about the "underlaying" idea of NA and playing Captain:

- It is my understanding that it is not supposed for a Captain to be able to do everything on its own ( combat, trade, crafting, shipbuilding ) in NA, having to resort to the community ( nation & allies ) to be able to access less focused areas.

Is this a correct evaluation ?

Thank you.

You can do almost everything on your own - combat, trade, crafting and shipbuilding - it will just take a bit longer. The only part of the game that need cooperation with other players is Map Conquest gameplay - you need to be a part of a bigger group to participate in it.

Love the game and recognize it's still in alpha. How do I get access to the chat room?

If you mean forum chat - it is a placeholder.

Q1) Its seems that much of the unstated Intention of the recent release was about economic adjustments to inflationary effects  yet this patch has caused large economic problems. Is it the Devs intention to focus  further on economic issues from your latest patch before you move on to new port battles?

We do plan to focus further on economic issues. We cannot say exact date at this moment though.

Apologies if this has been asked already but what are the rough make up of the PVP to PVE tester ratio? I haven't ever heard of a tester who is primarily a player on PVE.

The biggest online is on PVP servers but there are also a lot of players who play on PVE server and this correlation is mixed because many PVE players sometimes join PVP server and vice versa.

Admin quote:

Content patch: June

• Potential USA PVP 2 merge
Question(s):
  • Have you decided yet to merge PvP2 with another server?
  • If so, which server (graphical location)?
  • Why is this a "potential"? What are the dev's considerations that have not made this an absolute yes or no?
The decision to merge has not been made yet.

i have a question about AI ships.  Why do some of them get stuck at port entrance?  You can attack them but they're stuck there until someone does.  Is that intended or is it a bug?

This is a known issue, it will be fixed according to priority list.

Any plans on adding a Xebec ship or the barque

We play to add a couple of Xebecs, but there is no date at the moment

Why are there no Lighthouses? With all the rain you guys are adding for hours at a time you should at least allow a few lighthouses. At least in the Major ports. I'm sure there were some out there?

Lighthouses are theoretically possible. We have plans to come back to this feature in the future. This is a very interesting idea but currently has low priority.
  • Like 1

Which ship was chosen by the developpers wild card?

Are we going to have another poll for the second half of 2016?

The Wild card has not been chosen yet.

We plan to have another poll in autumn.

Are you guys going to nerf Determined defender ever? or am i just never allowed to board ships in pvp anymore?

Perk/upgrade parameters are not final and of course will be rebalanced going forward once more are added to the game.

I saw a post a while back that teleportation of ships was going to be removed in the future.Is this still the plan?

No plans to remove it at this stage - it has been accepted by players as a good feature. we do not know yet if it will stay in the long term.
  • Like 2

Question: Are there any effects of sail damage besides slower speed and turning speed?

each sail is modeled for its own.

Means if you loose your sprit sails you will loose the wind force most forward to your ship. This will result in a performance loss close hauled and when you want to turn downwind.

Loosing any of the sails amidships (loosing or just beeing damaged) means a lesser upwnd performance.

Au contraire - if you loose some quare sails you loose downwind quality. And the repective sailpreassure of dismantled sail in regards to turning.

So sail damage does not (also) model rigging damage at all, right?  I.e. masts are no more difficult to knock down (same HP), sails are raised and lowered at the same speed, yards still turn at full speed and don't get stuck in position or fall or break, etc.  Shouldn't progressive sail damage also model some progressive rigging damage effects?

Well, not only are there no Dutch ships in game, but I'm pretty sure we don't know of any in development, either. Even if they announced today that they were going to start working on one, when you consider how long it takes them to develop a ship from announcement to implementation, plus the backlog of ships already in development, it would be a while. So, not anytime soon, unless the devs surprise us with a ship we didn't know they were working on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Question: Are there any effects of sail damage besides slower speed and turning speed?

So sail damage does not (also) model rigging damage at all, right?  I.e. masts are no more difficult to knock down (same HP), sails are raised and lowered at the same speed, yards still turn at full speed and don't get stuck in position or fall or break, etc.  Shouldn't progressive sail damage also model some progressive rigging damage effects?

We simulate sail groups separately. Every sail group provide realistic behavior at their points of sail and position to hull (including side forces).

e.g. if your staysails are damaged by cannon fire you only lose speed at the angles where staysails interact with wind. If you have lost sails on your front mast it will not provide enough bow side force from wind when turning or tacking.

check those videos:

and when can we expect the the first dutch ships?

Captain, as soon as it will be ready to announce, it will be done

Another question, are the current system requirements final?

If not, when is going to begin aprox. the optimization proccess?

We do not know yet, any optimization might be done closer to relise but at the moment there are other priorities

We simulate sail groups separately. Every sail group provide realistic behavior at their points of sail and position to hull (including side forces).

e.g. if your staysails are damaged by cannon fire you only lose speed at the angles where staysails interact with wind. If you have lost sails on your front mast it will not provide enough bow side force from wind when turning or tacking.

check those videos:

Thanks Ink!  It is clear that the game has a detailed model for sail and mast damage, but since I've asked this question twice now without it being understood (apparently), I must conclude that the game does not model rigging damage at all currently, not even as an artifact of sail damage.  Ok.

• Like 1

the game does not model any running rigging dmge at all.

there are no hitboxes and no penalties when the shrouds would be hit

Which means: yard speed is only determined by allocated crew.

Why haven't any Dutch ship been implemented whilst they have only a nation and nothing else to show for whilst the other country's has at least 2 ships to show off?

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15194-a-question-to-devs/

I know nothing - or do I?

Captains, Dutch ships will be in the game, do not worry :)

Thanks Ink!  It is clear that the game has a detailed model for sail and mast damage, but since I've asked this question twice now without it being understood (apparently), I must conclude that the game does not model rigging damage at all currently, not even as an artifact of sail damage.  Ok.

the game does not model any rigging dmge at all.

there are no hitboxes and no penalties when the sail or mast is hit.

Which means: yard speed is only determined by allocated crew.

I know nothing - or do I?

The game has the most comprehensive sail damage done in a sailing game to date.

Damage works like this

Masts

Masts are split into sections and you can break individual sections away by cannon fire, even bowsprit

Every section has its own HP and thickness. 

Sails

Every sail is individual and has its own power and HP. Hit the main sail - main sail loses power (not other sails). Sails can be penetrated through (cloth) so shooting sails from the direction of bow or stern can get more damage. Lose square sails (if you have lots of staysails and fore-and aft sails) you will still sail well close hauled. Lose staysails you will still sail well at 135.

Smart captains know how to lower potential sail damage by turning yards parallel to potential shots greatly reducing damage. If they depower staysails they might get no damage at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just sailed from Charleston to Cabo Canaveral and saw only ONE AI trader lynx with contraband. There were only a handful of other AI American ships the entire way. I F11ed the lack of AI of the East Coast,, as I have done before. Is the AI of the East coast ever going to be raised to the levels of elsewhere?