Game-Labs Forum

Questions to developers

First let me say, I cannot wait for this game to be available. A lifetime of Bolitho/Hornblower/Lewrie rereads has more tban whetted my appetite for a sail game of this scope. Q) will prizes/capture be part of the game? Think prize money or booty to sell to reprovision/repair if one chooses to be a Pirate. And if so, can you switch your flag to a better ship you have captured, OR assign some of your crew to man the ship and start your own little flotilla. Maybe have the ships you own/control play as an allied npc.

I have a few questions.  How is the game gonna keep track of your exploits?  Will there be Leaderboards?  I love how EA's Battlelog website keeps track what you accomplish in game.  Is that something you could implement?  Medals, awards, citations, how many times you able to escape, ships sunk, tonnage raided, stats.  Viewing other peoples statistics would be cool also.         

Edited by BroodingPhobos

First let me say, I cannot wait for this game to be available. A lifetime of Bolitho/Hornblower/Lewrie rereads has more tban whetted my appetite for a sail game of this scope. Q) will prizes/capture be part of the game? Think prize money or booty to sell to reprovision/repair if one chooses to be a Pirate. And if so, can you switch your flag to a better ship you have captured, OR assign some of your crew to man the ship and start your own little flotilla. Maybe have the ships you own/control play as an allied npc.

From what the devs have said: Prizes/capturing will be part of the game and you will be able to take command of a prize ship and sail it, but (if I recall correctly) I haven't heard anything about having the AI sail your extra ships for you.

I wanted to ask about clubhauling. On the front page of the website you list that as a possible maneuver:

Correct tacking, boxhauling, clubhauling and other elements of the age of sail sailing are possible.

For readers that don't know what it is, clubhauling involves dropping an anchor, sailing past it, and then hauling it back in to force the bow of the ship around onto the new course. This movie clip captures the gist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq0sXv6YeJM#t=2m34s

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen anything about an ability to use an anchor in this game. have I just missed it, or is the website incorrect?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen anything about an ability to use an anchor in this game. have I just missed it, or is the website incorrect?

Yes. Coming to a stop Man of War fashion. 

ttEt9O8.png

We want to experiment with anchors in the future. Some day it might happen. 

This maneuver is already possible in game - but without the anchor animations

RE8xpQt.png

• Like 3

I have a few questions.  How is the game gonna keep track of your exploits?  Will there be Leaderboards?  I love how EA's Battlelog website keeps track what you accomplish in game.  Is that something you could implement?  Medals, awards, citations, how many times you able to escape, ships sunk, tonnage raided, stats.  Viewing other peoples statistics would be cool also.         

Some basic statistic trackers will be in game. 

ttEt9O8.png

RE8xpQt.png

Am i right though that clubhauling itself is not implemented? It's true that you can make a more gradual turn similar to that using only sails. If you find yourself in irons at point 2 while trying a normal tack, you can back the sails, and reverse rudder your way from point 2 to point 3. the turn would be much wider and slower though than what's achievable with an anchor (clubhauling was for situations where you couldn't afford the extra space. because of the need to cut your anchor loose, it was usually reserved for emergencies). I'm not going to be picky if you say you didn't implement it, I was mostly curious to see if I had just overlooked the controls for it. I'm in no particular rush to see anchors become part of PvP battles, as I think it'll probably lead to sloppier sailing techniques. it would however be a nice feature in port battle maps where you might actually have to do some careful maneuvering to avoid land formations.

It's true that you can make a more gradual turn similar to that using only sails. If you find yourself in irons at point 2 while trying a normal tack, you can back the sails, and reverse rudder your way from point 2 to point 3. 

You can do it yes.

ttEt9O8.png

RE8xpQt.png

Just loving the admin use of Harland's text and illustrations - an excellent work.

Why exactly Privateer, my favourite ship, is the only one that can't be bought? -_-

Make it expensive as hell if the main reason behind it is because he is too stronk, or dunno.. It's just not fair for players who would rather stick to small ships, than SOL or Frigates. :C

I know I know, You can capture them, whats the diference.. It's in modules, I wont put a purple or yellow modules on a small ship with one dura.

This ship was introduced exactly like a Navy Brig, so why we can buy a Navy Brig? :S
(I'm not suggesting taking away Navy Brig from shop) ;D

• Like 3

Why exactly Privateer, my favourite ship, is the only one that can't be bought? -_-

I would also like to be able to purchase this ship through the yard. I enjoy using it a lot and find it a good low level ship for hitting up to Navy Brigs in. It is a fun ship, would be nice to have the option of getting a good one in the yard.

The size of the ports seem way to small, i would think the ports should be 10-20 times bigger. is this a temporary size or permanent?

This is due to the open world sailing being abstracted as a navigation view. Still this view gives as much realism as possible. Port pictures can't be full real size.

Nice videos! I noticed that while sailing in the OW, the gun ports are all open. I know that earlier there was a discussion about gun ports opening and closing in battle, but this was dismissed for performance reasons, which I understand. But while navigating in the open world they could as well be shown closed, right? Then, when you enter the battle instance, the ports are shown open. Will this be implemented later?

Not sure yet.

There are going to be different guns according to the country?

For example: Spain never had 32 lbs guns; They had 36lbs guns( 8lbs, 12lbs, 18lbs, 24lbs and 36lbs)

Ships are available to all nations regardless or their nation of construction, same goes for guns. Also currently the gun poundages are standardized (24, 32, 42).

will there be independent swivel guns controlled by AI crew? (not sure if someone posted this yet) 

Swivel guns will be added after the EA. They are discussed here: Musketmen, sharpshooters, swivel guns...

Hello developers,

Maybe this is not the place or the time to ask but..... Who are you??

I think it would be nice to hear something more about the people who work at Game Labs.

How many people do there work at Game Labs and what do they do? Is it a big or a small studio? What is the background of the ppl working there?

Tell us something more about the creators of this beautiful game (if its not a too private question.) Are there more games that you are working on?

Its not like we have to know all the ins and outs of all the ppl there but some more background about Game Labs would be nice.

• Like 1

Is it possible to level and enjoy the game without the need to grind npcs all day? Just wondering if it will be possible to play mostly pvp as you level in game?

Havent got in yet as I missed the preorder so just wondering this looks to be a amazing game been waiting for a good sailing game since potbs died years ago

As pointed out in many posts, there are several similarities between Naval Action and space sims like Elite Dangerous as far as player 'nations', 'factions', and overall warfare.

Elite D is now launching Powerplay: https://www.elitedangerous.com/en/powerplay  where players choose allegiance to a faction (read nation for Naval Action) and get to vote on a weekly basis what the objectives are for that faction.  Missions are then created to play out.

I know something similar has been alluded to here for Naval Action, where players are a part of something larger and fight battles for their nation, but thought PowerPlay would still be of interest to get ideas. 

I'm sure some will scoff at allowing the player base to simply vote on objectives (there could be opportunity to create false allegiance and abuse this mechanic) but I find it a better option than taking orders from some power hungry pimply-@ssed player who has 'risen' to command because he has no real life.

Just a thought...

:)

I do have a question, well I have a lot and I'm sure most if not all have already been asked so I will read through this topic when I get chance (school runs soon though). Anyway what inspired you to make this game?

I think it would be nice to hear something more about the people who work at Game Labs.

How many people do there work at Game Labs and what do they do? Is it a big or a small studio? What is the background of the ppl working there?

Tell us something more about the creators of this beautiful game (if its not a too private question.) Are there more games that you are working on?

Members of our team previously worked at Wargaming, 4A (makers of Metro) GSC (makers of stalker), DICE, Darthmod, and several other lesser known mods or companies. The size of the team is small and does not exceed 20 people (including freelancers). We work on Naval Action, next iteration of Ultimate General and sometimes prototype our internal ideas for future games. 

Is it possible to level and enjoy the game without the need to grind npcs all day? Just wondering if it will be possible to play mostly pvp as you level in game?

Havent got in yet as I missed the preorder so just wondering this looks to be a amazing game been waiting for a good sailing game since potbs died years ago

PvP rewards you generously and you will be able to level up much faster if you pvp (even when losing). 

I do have a question, well I have a lot and I'm sure most if not all have already been asked so I will read through this topic when I get chance (school runs soon though). Anyway what inspired you to make this game?

We just wanted to make a good sailing game for ourselves.