Game-Labs Forum

Booyaah's One Google Map to rule them all !!

Charleston is listed as "latitude" 724324 and is north of Bermuda on the map, but Somerset Bermuda is "latitude" 789498 so there is something peculiar here. I tried to double check the latitude of Charleston, but got sunk by a couple of US privateers.   I thought they were bots by the names so I attacked them when they tagged me, but they moved like players and soon had my armor stripped away. I have never before been sunk by privateer bots. Very weird.

I added Las Tortugas to the locked map. In the notes I used the annotation '--gs' so in the future you know who edited it (something we might want to start doing)

I like your idea of signing data placed on the map. Adds a sense of responsibility for accuracy ;)

1) Saint Nicolas is listed in it's proper spot, I know cause I hang out around Tortuga a lot.  So I'm not sure what you are talking about, please clarify.

2) Can someone else confirm for me that Carlisle should be deleted from the official map?

Lol, when I looked at the map right before I posted St. Nicholas was not there. (the locked version)
I infact added it as new port to the community map when the three french snows came out there to ambush me last week.

Edit: Nevermind, I missunderstood Prater´s answer, so that I would have a own layer.

It might be helpful when you only have one link to the correct locked version of the map, Booyaah  ;) .

When it stays attwo different links stuff like above is likely to repeat.

Edited by BlueEagleGER

Ya, in that area there are a lot of small little Islands that aren't really on google maps (or are hard to see) or maybe don't even exist anymore, but are on all the old charts:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/1818_Pinkerton_Map_of_the_West_Indies,_Antilles,_and_Caribbean_Sea_-_Geographicus_-_WestIndies2-pinkerton-1818.jpg

http://www.loc.gov/resource/g4900m.gar00006/?sp=25

@blueeagle - whatever version I am looking at is the correct version :)  I guess the usp=sharing parameter actually matters in the url.

@jodgi - Added Serrana to the map.  That was a very good way to do it posting those screenshots, I will make that a requirement now I think.

@wind - Did you have a particular style in mind from snazzymaps?  Google has a satellite style, but it just added too much clutter around the bahamas with the depth draw outs.

I am going to start giving credit by putting 'discovered by <name>' and the date by any new ports found, it will also help ensure accuracy.

I have updated and corrected any out of date information in my original post.

Edited by Booyaah

I just sailed west from Jagua in Cuba to the western tip of the island. There are a number of ports listed (Point 80, Santa Maria, Batabano, Robras, Pinar Del Rio, Point 35) some are listed as deep. However this whole section appears to be shallows and I did not find an access (although I never tried too hard in case I got marooned). Has anyone managed to access these ports?

Santa Maria on Cuba near Batabano does not exist there and needs to be moved to Playa Santa Maria due west of Camaguey

Bahía de Cochinos (Bay of Pigs) is located at Playa Larga.  Shallow.  I think this was Spanish but don't remember. 

San Lazaro -169452 225773  I think it was deep.  Located Due West of Bay of Pigs in the Green Area (Parque Nacional Cienaga de Zapata).  Neutral.

Nueva Gerona is point 35.  Shallow.

Santa Maria on Cuba near Batabano does not exist there and needs to be moved to Playa Santa Maria due west of Camaguey

Bahía de Cochinos (Bay of Pigs) is located at Playa Larga.  Shallow.  I think this was Spanish but don't remember. 

San Lazaro -169452 225773  I think it was deep.  Located Due West of Bay of Pigs in the Green Area (Parque Nacional Cienaga de Zapata).  Neutral.

Nueva Gerona is point 35.  Shallow.

Just made updates based on what you said, I will have to resail the south side of cuba when I get a chance.  It sucks cause Cuba was the first place I mapped out and I knew this were all right before.