Game-Labs Forum

Hello.

I'm right now playing as a Navy Brig and after having a very hard time with the standard brig, I thought this one was going to be better but I was mistaken.

This I am going to say it's true: I got more damage per battle with a Privateer than what I get with Brigs or Navy Brigs.

My problem is not the firepower or the manueverability right now.

My big problem that for this ship is that it pretty much is like a piece of paper. I can't stand seeing how in a single shot it's entire nose armor gets almst fully destroyed and almost the same for port or starboard, and rear. Two shots and it's done even when being shot by not that big ships, but if it gets shot by a constitution its done almost in the first set of shots. So, I cannot even approach ships without gettign destroyed before I can do a decent ammount of damage, and somehow in pve ships will manage to hit you without ranging shots in the first try.

So yes, i'm despeprate with this ship, cause I thought It was going to be better and more resistant but no it is not and I have a long way to the snow.

• Like 1

A Brig (Navy or Normal) isn't even Frigate-sized, while a Constituation is a Heavy-Frigate.

Even a Snow outguns you actually, a Surprise would kill you without receiving decisive damage and a Trincomale and upwards just destroys you with a blink of an eye.

As a Brig, you either engage everything that is a Snow and upwards at best from their stern but your main-duty is to kill other Brigs and smaller vessels.

Currently, it is hard to find games with equal opponents due to the few players playing (there was a much easier time which comes back with OpenWorld probably in a few weeks), so playing in a small vessel can be really punishing.

What you need to learn is: What your duty on the battlefield is and what ships you can, and what ships you can't engage.

If you have no choice but to go up against a much bigger ship, i.e. a frigate, try to keep your distance and shoot for the sails/masts. There isn't much you can do against their armor, so the best you can do is shoot up their sails and force them to waste repairs.

That is my usual tactic when in smaller ships such as the brig, and it can be quite helpful for your larger ships, giving them the advantage of better maneuverability. It won't get you as much damage as you would like, but it gets the job done.

Brigs do feel flimsy, you are not alone in your pain.

They are still light ships but are relatively large targets which means (with the current broadside convergence - or lack thereof) not only are they easier to hit to begin with but every broadside from the bigger rated vessels will hit with more guns and do more damage than they would have on a Privateer.

There is good news: it gets better with the Snow - smaller and more robust.

The Navy Brig can be quite effective with the bigger carronades, you might want to try those - it's lot of fun :)

Edited by Snoopy

But if I use carronades I will have to approach more to the enemy, won't I?

And I don't really know if the range for shooting chainshots is the same as for balls cause everytime I try shooting chains at enemy's sails I fail to hit. Do I have to raise the cannons more? And what about grape shots?

As long as you let team mates with larger ships engage the enemy first, and you learn how to present your ship towards a larger ships broadside, it is not impossible to get 5k + in either of these 2 ships. With more experience 10K is achievable in large battles in the navy brig.

A lot of people hate these ships when grinding up, but when you have finished your grind, and play the small ships for enjoyment you will change your mind.

Dazed

• Like 3

But if I use carronades I will have to approach more to the enemy, won't I?

And I don't really know if the range for shooting chainshots is the same as for balls cause everytime I try shooting chains at enemy's sails I fail to hit. Do I have to raise the cannons more? And what about grape shots?

Don't use carronades in a brig.  You'll get your tail handed to you.  ;)

Ignore grape unless the armor is down to nearly nothing and you're danger close.  The chain needs to physically pass through sails - and if you've really shredded a particular sail, aim for a different one.  :)

• Like 3

Don't use carronades in a brig.  You'll get your tail handed to you.   ;)

Ignore grape unless the armor is down to nearly nothing and you're danger close.  The chain needs to physically pass through sails - and if you've really shredded a particular sail, aim for a different one.   :)

Not sure i completely agree with the first sentence there.

ill break it down to this - don't use carronades if you are NOT working in a team enviornment, as when your opponent notices the nades they will adjust spacing and range you. HOWEVER. if you work with a teammate in a supporting role, following up broadsides and neutralizing reps they can work VERY well indeed, especially the 24's on the navy brig.

in essence - as with most things in life - work with your advantages (good damage close up), and mitigate your disadvantages (have a stronger team mate to hide behind).

Dazed

• Like 1

Absolutely correct Dazed.  I consider carronades on the Brig and up to be a more "advanced" mode, requiring coordination, teamwork, and experience.  When someone is having trouble with the Brig in the first place, I tend to discourage their using carronades until they've had some experience operating in a higher-threat environment.  :)

Absolutely correct Dazed. I consider carronades on the Brig and up to be a more "advanced" mode, requiring coordination, teamwork, and experience. When someone is having trouble with the Brig in the first place, I tend to discourage their using carronades until they've had some experience operating in a higher-threat environment. :)

The carronade 24s on the navy brig in large scale pvp are awesome because you are not the focus of the enemy player (most of the time) it can be annoying however when both sides stay at range thats when u sit there not being able to do anything :P

They do so much damage especially with double :P you can take more than half the health of a connie with a successful 2 to 1.

I see your point why you would want to discourage the carronades for new brig players. However I feel this is just for pvp light. I took my brig into large scale pvps and I grinded out very fast because I was averaging 5000-6000 damage per game with it (depending on the amount of enemies, and ships they r sailing) at the end of the day I feel it just comes down to personal preference of what guns you like and guns you dont.

Edited by SCL

As with any smaller ship against larger ships, your advantage is in being more maneuverable than them, just follow the larger ships in and try to avoid making yourself a target (i.e. don't be the first into range, don't stray onto an unengaged broadside, once in close range you can use the maneuverability to stay on the stern of larger ships, dealing good damage to their weak stern & avoiding return fire (other than chasers), if they start trying to shoot at you rather than your larger team mates, that's a success, if not you chip away at their health & damage their rudder. Don't: get in the way of the larger ships, get too isolated, Do: support your team by being a nuisance to the enemy ships, or by deterring other small ships from doing the same to your team mates. Above all: have fun, how well/poorly you do is irrelevant at this point, so do what is most fun for you, whether it's sterncamping a bigger ship, or protecting your larger ships.

The Navy Brig is one of my favorite ships. The trick with this vessel is to mount 24lb carronades to establish any great amount of damage. I can usually average 5500 plus damage with each match. if you look at bigger frigates you can see that by firing 24lbs of lead per cannon that you are coming much closer to the firepower of some of the cannon mounted frigates with the added benefit of being a much smaller and maneuverable target. The Brig is a great ship with excellent maneuvering capabilities. These capabilities must be used to its advantage to move out of firing arcs of other ships. I also find that spending more time in sailing mode in the brig gains me a great advantage in maneuverability, since carronades reload faster, sailing mode does not seem to hinder your reload as badly as other ships. If you find yourself far from battle and in the open you will be quickly out ranged and dispatched by any cannon carrying frigates, therefore you must stay engaged and close at all times. As a Brig captain you must use bigger ships as shields while you are further out and out of carronade combat range. In addition the Navy Brig mounted with 24lb carronades will dispatch any equal size and smaller vessels with ease, and having a smaller firing arc will almost always land most of its shot on smaller vessels unlike larger frigates and above where most of the shots miss wide. However I have to agree with the above posts that the Navy Brig is a close in ship using its maneuverability to stay out of the range of hostile firing arcs. If you choose to mount cannons on the Brig then you have to settle for a support role where you will only be effective against smaller vessels and lose firepower and hitting potential when close up.