Game-Labs Forum

On Premium Ships and "Pay to Win"

100% speculations, sir.

Until we get to see prem ships we cannot say anything about the player's behavior.

Thats why I think that this thread is redundant after the first 5-10 pages.

All we have here are speculations. How cheap/ expensive are repairs going to be? How will prem ships perform acompared to regular ones? What size will they be (sols, frigates, brigs, shooners?) who knows? we dont.

Gamers who play to be competitive will always seek the best ship for their porpose.

potbs has shows this exact behavior perfectly. Every game without classes per se lead to the players wich look for the sole perfect loadout and play with it.

If prem ships are not fulfilling these requirements they are degraded to the collectors' choice.

at least we know one thing at the moment, no 1st, 2nd, 3rd rate ship in premium.

Dont take anything I say for developers' choice/opinion/desicions. I do not have more insight to prem. ships than you guys do.

Why I didnt write about lineships? because I hope they wont be premium. They are endgame ships wich should be earned through playing.

If prem ships have a special visual appeal I would be happy to own one. If they serve the porpose of any other ship we can buy for ingame money.. why would I bother to pay RL cash?

prem ships will have a special place. wich? we dont know.

But they will have some speciality. Let it be visual extravagace or some other things.

Players will want to buy these ships. Else they have no place in NA

First,

Dont take anything I say for developers' choice/opinion/desicions. I do not have more insight to prem. ships than you guys do.

Why I didnt write about lineships? because I hope they wont be premium. They are endgame ships wich should be earned through playing.

If prem ships have a special visual appeal I would be happy to own one. If they serve the porpose of any other ship we can buy for ingame money.. why would I bother to pay RL cash?

prem ships will have a special place. wich? we dont know.

But they will have some speciality. Let it be visual extravagace or some other things.

Players will want to buy these ships. Else they have no place in NA

Premium ships have infinite dura, this one already make premium ship better than other ship. I think you underestimate the power of visual, take game like Dota2 for example, people send a lot of money just for visual, the items they buy from the store have no effect on the game what so ever, even some item is considered pay to lose (mirana arrow - it makes the skill easier to detect and to dodge).

More about premium ship (Source from Admin): you don't  need to build your ship at all when you buy it with cash. This make you somewhat have an upper hand from other players (no grind for resources, save time).

Next, Premium ship is a way to help developers of NA. Not a way for you to have lot more advantage than other people who don't want or don't have money to buy premium ship.

One of the potential problems with paying for cosmetics( I know speculation lol) is that I pay 15 bucks for a figurehead, fancy sail etc will a player keep it after the ship losses it's 5 durabilities, or is it gone with the ship? I could see players getting upset over that one.

I think you should able to keep all of them for the eternity.

I would think anything paid for with real money you should not be able to lose. That being said if( speculation) there is a system that allows for using real money to reduce time/grind/ etc to progress to next ship class or rank should they be able to keep said ship/etc because it was paid for essentially with real money?

I know games like WOT make a lot of money off XP conversion and the temptation for the developers to make money of a similar system is there.

First, [...]

More about premium ship (Source from Admin): you don't  need to build your ship at all when you buy it with cash. This make you somewhat have an upper hand from other players (no grind for resources, save time).

Next, Premium ship is a way to help developers of NA. Not a way for you to have lot more advantage than other people who don't want or don't have money to buy premium ship.

Well yes. visual appeal is a big factor. I sayd it myself: If a ship looks epic I will buy it (maybe if its not too expensive)

About the "no grind for resources, save time": Yes you do not have to pay for the ship at first (ingame). But every time you sink it you will have to pay for the repairs. Every dura you "loose" means repair costs. We still have to grind money to pay those bills. How expesive they may be? well thats a balancing factor wich we will discover in the future.

We know very few things about the idea behind the prem ships. Devs are not giving definite info because they are seeking the feedback of the community.

From the very first tests we had the devs almost always included the player's opinions and concerns.

I am not pesimistic about some OP ships. Devs want everyone to have fun. "Casuals" as well as hardcore players.

True but no one can complain about repair cost after battles because it is too obvious. Cutting the first grind for resources and cost to build a ship is a huge advantage already. I dont think I need to provide example for that. But this is a part of the game, peole have money will go faster than those don't.

• Like 1

I think paying for customisation and anything to do with avatar and ship looks is fine, paying to have infinite durability or better ships is not on. It's just following the Russian guys who did world of tanks planes and warships.2 of which I played and lost interest before I even got to the end game levels.

I'd be more than willing to pay to customise how my ship looks but please for god sake don't unbalance it by using RD money.

• Like 5

You got to remember that Wargaming has become one of the most financially successful game companies ever

all in the space of a few years

What ever you may disagree with, its a successful economic model.  

You got to remember that Wargaming has become one of the most financially successful game companies ever

I think that's what a lot of people are worried about. Few companies wants to take the starving artist route

I don't think it fair for premium ships to give to much of an advantage, while in World of Tanks the premium vehicles are tier based. This will lead to massive rage if I can just buy a Victory and roll over everybody.

Their has to be a balance or a limit in ship size, maybe say that a premium ship of a certain size cannot be sold until at least 20 players have actually earned a ship of the same class in game?!

Premiums in WOT are generally money makers, my JT 88 has nothing on my Tiger 2 (tiger simply blows it away 1v1 because both are well armored but the Tiger 2 has a higher damaging gun per shot so you can angle the turrets and bounce the 88, then turn the turret and trade shots while you do double the damage and have higher HP).

If premiums are stronger then the average vessel in the game I will delete this game straight off my Steam account. Casual and unfair are two very close but very different things.

Frankly a premium subscription that decreases repair bills and increases profits of my on shore investments would be better then $$$ ship owns 40 hours of play.

I don't think it fair for premium ships to give to much of an advantage, while in World of Tanks the premium vehicles are tier based. This will lead to massive rage if I can just buy a Victory and roll over everybody.

Their has to be a balance or a limit in ship size, maybe say that a premium ship of a certain size cannot be sold until at least 20 players have actually earned a ship of the same class in game?!

I believe admin has stated that 1st and 2nd rates will only be acquirable by crafting.

And the generally held opinion seems to be that if you buy a third rate right off the bat, you wont have the crew for it so you'll be useless anyway. Not so sure where that one came from, but it seems to be regarded as fact.

I wonder what type of pricing structure premium ships would have. I can't see my self buying very many but it's all speculation until we see what is available, the cost and what type of benefits to owning would be.

Things I'd hate to see are:

-more powerful ships/module/ammo/stuff with real money, realistically unavailable to non paying customers

-monthly subscription fees just to log in and play

Things I don't mind:

-skipping playtime with money (i.e. money/xp boost), as long as everything is reasonably available without extra boosts too.

-getting ships with money as long as they are not requirement for competitive play

-cosmetics (again hopefully available without extra pay too, but long grind here is ok IMO.)

So basically I'm happy when everything is available by just buying the game, but getting there faster with real money is an option. Grinding a lot for "free" cosmetics is ok, grinding crazy amounts just to be competitive is not. I'd like small cosmetic differences with paid and grinded variants though, just so that people can show off with stuff earned by hard work, either in or outside the game.

Personally I expect to buy cosmetics and ships I like. WoT style permanent Premium on paid vehicles is very much to my liking.

fact - unless you are of the appropriate rank when you buy. This has been said before ppl. Peruse the forums a bit more ppl. jeez

it was said before in context of normal ships, but does it apply for premium ships as well? can you link that fact in reference to premium ships? i kinda doubt that people will buy ships which they cannot use right off the bat without complaining

I've read somewhere that better ships than the premium ones will be craftable by anyone willing to put the time/resources in... As such I have no issue with premium vessels. 

Sure they give players with more money and less time a bit of a leg up the food chain (and help support the devs in the process) but that's no guarantee they'll have the skill to use the ships effectively - the end result being they have to fork out on lots of repairs, and probably end up farming in smaller ships just to fund 30 minutes of using a premium vessel.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see so many people finding so many ways to give their money to the game developers, good on ya all, just wish you would stop trying to spend mine for me too! Outside the shores of countries that have disposable income are many many countries full of up and coming gamers, who earn less in a month than many folk here spend on p2w games in a night. The WORLD market is not a balanced and equal place and any system put into place to generate money should take into account that not every where has that money.

I work abroad at local wages and my monthly salary would shock you. My choice, but many of the people i work/help with who are very interested in the gaming world have no choice. p2w or pay to advantage is in my opinion rubbing a hell of a lot of faces in the dirt. I am all right jack ***** everyone else is an attitude common in todays world and gaming community too. Don't like it never will.

Any system to generate cash that people can afford is fine by me but not if it is in anyway elitist or disadvantaging to those from poorer areas of the world, that would be a great shame. Premium ships that i cannot afford are fine, if they just give me something pretty to shoot and sink rather than something 10 times stronger that i am unable to defeat.

I paid for the game, i will be happy to support the game with more money when i have it spare, but i will never be happy with any game that makes me pay to play when i have already paid. IMO.

• Like 1

It's a brilliant economic model.  They figured out how to sell digital meth. 

God help you if you get the Wargaming monkey on your back ...

Check into computer rehab before your pet AIBO dog walks out on you in tough-love disgust.

I played WoT for a long time but frankly became very disillusioned with having to pay real cash to advance competitively in any reasonable time frame. As much as I was looking forward to World of Warships, I've made a conscious decision to skip it altogether for that reason.

I'd be their paying customer tomorrow if I could buy uber-realistic paint schemes, detailed theme hangers, "3D" modeled interiors, etc. Instead, I've be left with two basic choices:

- take weeks or months to earn enough no-cost experience points to move up one level in a single technology line,or

- pay $20(+) a pop to "convert" earned experience into usable experience for a more competitive tank

After a while it starts to smell like yesterday's fish fry. So, I decided to invent a mod pack for a third option - play elsewhere.

Things I don't mind:

-skipping playtime with money (i.e. money/xp boost), as long as everything is reasonably available without extra boosts too.

-getting ships with money as long as they are not requirement for competitive play

You're still looking at this game like it's WoT or WT.

Players 'skipping the grind' in those games is fine because you're going to be matched up before battles anyway, it makes no difference if the enemy paid to be there or if he spent 200 hours grinding it out. There also no larger picture, each battle is there to be won and no other goals are set outside of this. There are no advantages to Premium vehicles and premium account in that sense. Gold ammo is something else entirely.

However, in an open world sandbox when the grind is making cash to buy, upgrade and repair ships any players skipping this will obviously be at a great advantage as, while the players without the cash are off grinding the paying players are sacking ports and attacking shipping. This is where the imbalance is.

As for giving players with limited time the ability to skip the grind.. why? That is effectively the game, the 'grind' should be fun and should be mandatory for everyone. Giving the option for time restricted players to skip the grind opens up the door for non-time restricted players to skip the grind also so by solving one problem for few creates another for everyone to deal with.

I'm sorry but premium content should be restricted to aesthetic content only in my opinion. Myabe you could pay for some unique things like to remove pirate status (with a one week waiting time from the time you first transgress) but any advantage gained from paid for content is unfair in one way or another.

FYI: Devs have said (this might have changed but I'm not aware of it) you can buy a Prem ships but unless you're of a certain rank you may not be able to fully crew it. So you wont be able to jump straight into a 3rd rate from the off.

FYI: Devs have said (this might have changed but I'm not aware of it) you can buy a Prem ships but unless you're of a certain rank you may not be able to fully crew it. So you wont be able to jump straight into a 3rd rate from the off.

it was said before in context of normal ships, but does it apply for premium ships as well? can you link that fact in reference to premium ships? i kinda doubt that people will buy ships which they cannot use right off the bat without complaining

No thank you. I paid for the game already, I shouldn't have to continue paying to be allowed to play. Premium ships are fine, but please, no subscription fees.

I guess You paid for your mobile too. In Addition to this fact, do you have to pay a monthly fee to be able to use it?

If not, please tell me about your provider.

I am ok with monthly subscription fees, especially if Game Labs continues developing and updating NA for years to come.  

Personally I much prefer that over being able to buy special ships, better ammo, faster sails, etc.  Buying visuals for my ship(s), sure, but not buying an advantage.