Game-Labs Forum

IOS/Android open world interactive map.

Hello, 

is it possible in later stages of development to introduce the tablet open world map similar to BF4 commander screen? Could be good for exploring the world in passive mode (can't be attacked). Plan the route, read port info etc..

Example:

battlefield4-commandermode.jpg?itok=Li3a

• Like 1

I think a companion app might serve better that shows who owns what ports and maybe market values for the economy?

Not sure if this is what you mean or if you want an app for the 'commander' in large battles, which doesn't really make sense because said commander will be in the battle anyway.

I think a companion app might serve better that shows who owns what ports and maybe market values for the economy?

Not sure if this is what you mean or if you want an app for the 'commander' in large battles, which doesn't really make sense because said commander will be in the battle anyway.

Not battles, just open world exploration. Like Google map with statistics and route planning. 

Maybe along with  an open world map and reviewing on ports ( showing only what youve discovered ) possibly being able to manage your activites in the port you docked in for the evening. 

Allow a user to do whatever they do at a port on the mobile app. Run your business, harvest your farms, chat with players in game, review the areas youve explored and plan your route from when you return to the game to explore some more. 

Trade with other players in the ports, possibly send out NPC ships to do trading and whatever else. 

I think thats how id see a companion app working, being more of a port app then a open world app. 

Considering the games made in Unity, i dont think that's within the Engines possibility's... at least i've not heard of it being able to be synced with Mobile Apps...

I think that when you have read the features of Albion Online, a game made and run in the Unity engine, you will rethink this statement, my dear fellow ;)

Albion Online runs on Windows PC, Mac, Linux, in your browser, on IOS tablets and Android tablets. Graphically by far not as sofisticated as Naval Action, but the cross-platform capabilities are there.

We don't know yet if we want the map in the open world. 

I want people to get lost.

What if the map was more a discovery thing? the map got drawn out as you found new locations and sailed around your map would populate. That would allow for people to initially get lost but as they sailed the seven seas and traveled the world they could start to mark spots on a map. 

Or possibly instead of it auto populating as you search you are forced to mark and keep track of your map, if you want a map of course(make the map optional). So a well seasoned player would have a fairly well drawn out map, where as a new player would have no map?

Maybe the map is made up images or landmarks you write down. so its not exactly a map but its losely drawn out using key points you discover while sailing.

I know this is pirate mapish, but basically as you discover things in the world it populates landmarks.

afffee417dcc3cc0a1018a1359be2405.jpg

Or maybe players can become map makers or hire map makers as they travel. 

Just some thoughts.  

P.S. I like the Idea of getting lost as well, dont want to think im against that lol 

Edited by theSpatchula