Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta v1.3 Feedback<<<(Released)

Nick Thomadis

"- Fixed some localization errors in various languages (still not finalized). Please note that you can find the WIP translations in
Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts_Data\StreamingAssets\Languages
for anyone that wants to customize them, but it is advised to do so, when the work is finished, because we will frequently change the content."

@Nick Thomadis that was quick! Thank you !!!!!!!

1 hour ago, LeGouzy said:

Foggy night battle. See anything ? Me neither.

It might be historically accurate, but it's also a bit boring.

I suggest adding searchlight beams. That would make some cool eye candy !

Night 270423.png

Searchlight beams are a great way to give your presence a landmark for guidance. It would be more correct to light the running lights and exchange semaphore communication.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LeGouzy said:

Foggy night battle. See anything ? Me neither.

It might be historically accurate, but it's also a bit boring.

I suggest adding searchlight beams. That would make some cool eye candy !

Night 270423.png

It looks a bit boring, but also nothing's happening in this screen shot. I get some beautiful shots when gunfire lights up the ships.

Beta Update v1.3 "Build 8"
- New USA "Experimental Dreadnought I” with a displacement between 20,500 and 24,500 tons and available from 1905 to1915.
- New USA "Dreadnought III" with a displacement between 26,000 and 33,500 tons and available from 1910 to 1918.
- Fixed bug that caused ships that have repaired in an allied port, not being able to be moved.
- Poland province split into two regions. (It may cause issues in a current campaign, if Poland is under attack).
- Eastern Siberia ports now are properly belonging to this region and not Siberian Russia. (Needs a new campaign to apply properly)
- Various optimizations in Auto-Design and part collider system.
- Battle AI further optimizations.

Please note that the recent changes on the gun models will surely affect designs and gun fire arcs. If you notice guns to stuck it can be due to this reason so you will need to update your designs or restart your campaigns.

PLEASE RESTART STEAM TO GET THE UPDATE FAST

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Oh these hulls are excellent, the quality is well above the rest. If these are the last planed for the game thats a real shame. the game has adequate 'generic' hulls and parts for the most part, but I'd certainly be willing to pay for DLC hulls and parts of this quality for each and every faction.

I've got a ton of feedback i want to give on them, but no time to wall text it right now. 1 bit i'll give now, These hull all having a ton of different levels and built in barrettes, instead of all that being attached to tower parts you place on a flat top hull, causes quite a lot of difficulty in balancing these ships.  I hope some more aft towers parts that aren't cage masts are coming as well, to go with the more modern front towers too.

The cages are great though, those 'modernized' towers should be limited to hulls that become available in the 20s and 30s that are the 'modernized' version of these hulls. With the tight start and end date availability of these hulls, i suspect that is the plan.

*edit

oh! there's a quad turret model for the new American main gun, this might be new to this update also. looking at a 1925 custom battle build screen, its available in 15in and 17in guns, but the 14 and 16 both use the more generic/UK quad instead.

Edited by Fangoriously
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Beta Update v1.3 "Build 8"

- Poland province split into two regions. (It may cause issues in a current campaign, if Poland is under attack).

Good start. Now, sorry that I continue to nag, but for one, hand over Eastern Poland to Russia in the pre-WW1 starts. Second, I would frankly split down Poland further, for example create a seperate province for Western Prussia, for Pommerania (and that one should contain the Neumark area, because you don't need a province for that), Silesia (maybe further split into upper and lower), Central Poland for the Russian owned bit as well as Lesser Poland and Galicia for the Austrian third (that one would probably be handed over to Poland in your alternate outcome of WW1)(Also, the province of Galicia you have right now was never called that. Just rename it to Slovakia).Also, you could feasibly split Eastern Prussia into the Memel region for the part that went over to Lithuania, Königsberg for the bit that became Kalinigrad after WW2 and Allenstein for the part that went to Poland. In general, I think that for a continent that sees all out total war in your game as regularly as it does, the provinces in Europe are far too large, making war too decisive

• Like 2

I just recently played this game again after a long time. This time i got hooked more.  I appreciate the work that Mr. @Nick Thomadis has done for the game and i expect more to come.

However, I do observed that there are many potentials that the game hasn't still tapped. Which I hope the developers do sooner as I think they are integral in the mechanics of the game. These are what I am talking about.

1) OFFICER SYSTEM and FLEET  ORGANIZATION SYSTEM:

- I think that this is what's missing since the game's early access. What made me fell inlove with the Ultimate General and Admiral Series (particularly Civil War) was the Ability to Organize the Military Unit that you command. Albeit the mechanics of this feature is simple in UG:CW it made the game feel more authentic and in-depth. The ability to organize your Army into Corps, Divisions, and Brigades is what set its from big games like Total War and made it better. I think that this feature is the trademark of the entire series.

- Sadly, I observed starting from Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail that this feature becomes less and less. Even in new updates (pictures) in the Ultimate General: American Revolution website there is no Corps or Division System even though in the initial pictures this feature is emphasized.

I hope in the future  Major Updates this feature comes back just as it was in UG:CW, this time the:

Corps becomes Squadrons 

Divisions are still Divisions 

Brigades are the Individual Ships 

2) More HISTORICAL HULLS, HISTORICAL SHIP PARTS, and HISTORICAL ARMAMENTS:

- The time-frame that hooked me into this game was the 1890's - 1900's most commonly known as the Pre-Dreadnought Era. Although there are many hulls in the 1890 as of now, I still think that they lack the feel of the ships of the real-life era. 

- In addition suggest changing the label of the hulls in the design tab. What i meant is:

Hull Type + (Historical Ship Design it is based on)

For Example:

Instead of Coastal Defense Battleship

It will be:

Pre-Dreadnought (Maine)

Other Examples:

Pre-Dreadnought (Majestic)

Pre-Dreadnought (Pelayo)

Armored Cruiser (Garibaldi)

Protected Cruiser (Blancó Encalada)

Protected Cruiser (Alfonso XII)

- This shall also apply in the Funnels and Armaments tab. For Example:

Small Funnel (Babcock & Wilcox's)

12-inch (Armstrong & Whitworth)

- Of course this should be for each and every nation. For the U.S. alone there are almost six historical pre-dreadnought Hulls. I do think that the Maine, and the new Texas hulls is a great start in adding more Historical Hulls. I suggest that the developers should aim to gradually replace all Generic hulls into Historical Hulls for each and every nation. In which every hull is based on Historical Designs. for the game's entire time-frame.

3) OTHER SUGGESTIONS:

- Color Schemes for Ships

- Ability to Travel around the Map

Edited by Rurōni Jäger
I posted this on the wrong sub-thread plss don't approve this
  • Like 2

so far all my battles in the last few patches have been unplayable due to no visibility. last battle was in most recent patch. mousing over the weather thingy it said morning and light overcast, but visuals were of heavy fog. very annoying.

Naval invasions however seem to work properly now.  thanks for fixing!

Can we PLEASE get the option to push the government to invade neutral countries/ungoverned territory? I'm getting kinda tired of invading a Great Power and having them collapse before I can annex all the territories I wanted, or worse, having little enclaves of ungoverned territory Within My Own Borders.
8PcvAqI.png
Adding an "Other" or "Minor Powers" option to the politics screen, with a Naval Invasion button next to it would do just fine. Select it, and you get the usual drop down menu, where you can select a province to invade, provided you have ships stationed in its local sea zone, and your army has some way to actually access it, either by ports or a land border. This would allow players to "Mop Up" after a war, start new wars by invading neutrals, and generally have more influence over the map, and options for expansion, rather than letting ungoverned territories languish on the map for longer than they have any right to, or relying on RNG to to throw them a bone and let them conquer a new territory.

Also, I should mention that the "Revolt to re-establish control of ungoverned territory" is kinda nonsensical, seeing as if there's an army large enough to stop said revolt in its tracks, the owner of that army could form a new government of their own for that territory with said army. Instead of having a little land battle that ultimately results in the ungoverned territory staying ungoverned, a new government could simply form in the power-vacuum, and establish control over the region without further bloodshed.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, SodaBit said:

Also, I should mention that the "Revolt to re-establish control of ungoverned territory" is kinda nonsensical

Depends. If we look to what happened in Russia in 1917 is not. Many things can happen when there is a vacuum of power. And then we need to take into consideration that some nations are in their first years of existence. Germany and Italy as an example. USA come from a nasty civil war a few decades before. If the shogunate were to end, Japan could return to a state where it is ruled by local warlords fighting for power. A similar thing could happen in China. In Great Britain if there was a defeat in a major war we could see the Scottish, Wales and Irish people trying to set apart from the English.  Is difficult to say what could happen. Each case is different, and this is a sandbox game, so I don't see a problem in this. Of course, I would like to see more possible variants to a major nation fate when the government collapse trough war.

23 minutes ago, SodaBit said:

Adding an "Other" or "Minor Powers" option to the politics screen, with a Naval Invasion button next to it would do just fine. Select it, and you get the usual drop down menu, where you can select a province to invade, provided you have ships stationed in its local sea zone, and your army has some way to actually access it, either by ports or a land border. This would allow players to "Mop Up" after a war, start new wars by invading neutrals, and generally have more influence over the map, and options for expansion

I would like to see that in game, but only if there was a big diplomacy penalty towards the other major nations in game. A consequence for disrupting the balance of between the major powers.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, SodaBit said:

Adding an "Other" or "Minor Powers" option to the politics screen, with a Naval Invasion button next to it would do just fine. Select it, and you get the usual drop down menu, where you can select a province to invade,

I agree, but rather than having naval invasions be part of the politics tab through a drop down meny, I would like to see us be able to click on a province directly on the campaign map, and then select naval invasion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, o Barão said:

Depends. If we look to what happened in Russia in 1917 is not. Many things can happen when there is a vacuum of power. And then we need to take into consideration that some nations are in their first years of existence. Germany and Italy as an example. USA come from a nasty civil war a few decades before. If the shogunate were to end, Japan could return to a state where it is ruled by local warlords fighting for power. A similar thing could happen in China. In Great Britain if there was a defeat in a major war we could see the Scottish, Wales and Irish people trying to set apart from the English.  Is difficult to say what could happen. Each case is different, and this is a sandbox game, so I don't see a problem in this. Of course, I would like to see more possible variants to a major nation fate when the government collapse trough war.

I should clarify that I am speak on a purely gameplay level. From a narrative/historic perspective, yes, there will be much chaos in the ruins of any great power, as there was historically after the collapse of Russia (both in 1917, and 1992) and Germany in 1918. However, this doesn't mean that the game has to depict this chaos happening on a battlefield, as it does with the current version, I.E. we can cut out the gameplay elements of these events and have it be generally understood as a consequence of an imperial collapse. Instead of an event saying that the people of Scotland have risen up against Ungoverned Territory, then having a Scottish army fight the army of ungoverned territory (which exists for some reason? Didn't think you could have an army without some sort of central administration, but hey) for control of the region, we could just have an event that says that Scotland has risen from the ashes, and assumed control of their historic territory.
The main reason I'm suggesting this is that in the current version there is a chance that the ungoverned territory's army beats the Scottish one, not just once, but over and over again to the point where the territory will likely remain ungoverned until 1950 rolls around. In my current campaign, Austria Hungary collapsed before 1900, it's currently 1932, and Slovenia IS STILL UNGOVERNED TERRITORY. From a realism perspective someone should have been able to establish a government in the region, with a large enough powerbase to fashion a Slovene nation out of it, rather than over 3 decades of absolute anarchy.
Ungoverned territories shouldn't just stay on the map forever, but the main reason that they do stay on the map is because the revolts to re-establish or centralize control of the region always fail. As far as I know, there's only been two or three such revolts in my campaign that actually worked, and that's with both Russia and Great Britain being dead, and their colonies being spit out as ungoverned territories. After a certain amount of time, whether it be a few months or a couple of years, it only makes sense that someone comes along and unifies the region, similar to the Chinese warlords after the collapse of the Qing. For something like a former island colony in the Pacific, it might take less than a month for someone to establish themselves as El Presidente, and restore order to the place. A region like Siberia might take years to unify, but the end result is the same, a new, neutral nation, rather than just wasted space on the map.

Edited by SodaBit
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, SodaBit said:

After a certain amount of time, whether it be a few months or a couple of years, it only makes sense that someone comes along and unifies the region, similar to the Chinese warlords after the collapse of the Qing. For something like a former island colony in the Pacific, it might take less than a month for someone to establish themselves as El Presidente, and restore order to the place. A region like Siberia might take years to unify, but the end result is the same, a new, neutral nation, rather than just wasted space on the map.

You are 100% correct.  +1

Edited by o Barão

3 hours ago, Knobby said:

every second turn now hangs at 'next turn', doesn't progress to research / movement etc.

the program is still responding though, I can exit to main menu and reload a save.

I have the same thing (reported)😐

6 hours ago, SodaBit said:

In my current campaign, Austria Hungary collapsed before 1900, it's currently 1932, and Slovenia IS STILL UNGOVERNED TERRITORY. From a realism perspective someone should have been able to establish a government in the region, with a large enough powerbase to fashion a Slovene nation out of it, rather than over 3 decades of absolute anarchy.

Also, and actually especially so, when you are attacking another nation, by naval and/or land invasions, and they dissolve.
Suddenly your attacks stop, and you can't start new attacks either.
Wouldn't it make sense for your attacking armies to just roll in and assume control once the government and central command structure of the defenders dissolve? I would assume it would just make it easier.
Or at least give you a chance to get the territories you were attacking - so for example if your land major offensive was 90% done when the enemy dissolved, you have a 90% chance of getting that territory. If the major offensive was stalled at 0%, you have a 0% chance.

• Like 1