Game-Labs Forum

Upcoming v1.10 news (Update: 20/12/2022)

Nick Thomadis

4 hours ago, Candle_86 said:

They have to or Germany would block the game being sold in Germany 

It wouldn't, not anymore.

The swastika is banned as a symbol, yes, but there are qualifiers.

The swastika can be used for educational purposes, and in works of art. Games usually count as works of art. Most publishers shied away from that for a long time, because they were afraid they'd be taken to court and lose out on sales until the issue was resolved, so they changed the flags for the german version of games to avoid that risk. That seems to have largely abated though.

50 minutes ago, Aldaris said:

It wouldn't, not anymore.

The swastika is banned as a symbol, yes, but there are qualifiers.

The swastika can be used for educational purposes, and in works of art. Games usually count as works of art. Most publishers shied away from that for a long time, because they were afraid they'd be taken to court and lose out on sales until the issue was resolved, so they changed the flags for the german version of games to avoid that risk. That seems to have largely abated though.

Yes but this allows you to play as the Nazi's in an alternate existence that doesn't show the war crimes, I'd be very surprised if the German courts approved 

Will it be possible for for the player to somehow change the government (excluding defeats in the war)? I suggest that absolute monarchy will not have the best modifiers, but the player always wins wars, so the player can get stuck in absolute monarchy.

There existed no absolute monarchy in the game's timespan. I would rather replace "absolute monarchy" with "authoritarian", which would represent all the various dictatorships. 

democracy-monarchy-authoritarian would be more logical triptych imo

EDIT: Sorry, Russia was technically absolute monarchy untill 1905...still authoritarian would fit as well

Edited by puxflacet

17 hours ago, Darth Khyron said:

Uh, Sounds really good, but I really hope there are no swastikas on late German flags.

Why not? I can't wait to send a few of them flags to the deep :P

It is historically accurate which I do appreciate. I do think it being an option is a good idea though. I understand many people will feel unsettled by that symbol, so I'd like there to be an option to change the symbol so the game doesn't get too much hate.

• Like 1

I wouldn't. I prefer to see historical representations of the different countries over feelings being hurt.

But that's just me. There was a simple beauty to the Swastika on the bow of the Scharnhorst. Gives me something to shoot for :)

As to my own personal politics, I'm with the liberals who brought us Freedom, Liberty, the ideals of the Enlightenment. I'm a conservative because I defend them. Being an American.

Edited by Admiral Donuts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

That 's just me, of course. I am feeling a bit uncomfortable with that, something some of us Germans do. I am also uncomfortable playing Moaist China, Soviet Russia or American Confederate States. 

Yes, Scharnhorst was a beautiful ship, I do not find the flag beautiful at all. 

Again, that is just me, I don't want to Tell others what to play or to feel. 😀

• Like 1

I was asked, I answer. But I agree, let return to game matters. I am a bit exited over the implementation of coastal defense ships and "Torpedo" cruisers, as well as the turret vessels, brings needed diversity into the early campaigns.

Edited by Darth Khyron

One thing I would love to see is some alternative towers for modern light (and some heavy) cruisers. Because there's pretty much the same hull and tower set for almost all nations, and I can't say I'm a huge fan of those towers (which are also used for some modern heavy cruiser hulls, like Russian Modern Heavy Cruiser I and II iirc)

I don't even necessarily mean adding new towers, just giving those hulls access to more already existing tower types (although new tower designs are always welcome as well)

• Like 4

20 hours ago, puxflacet said:

There existed no absolute monarchy in the game's timespan. I would rather replace "absolute monarchy" with "authoritarian", which would represent all the various dictatorships. 

democracy-monarchy-authoritarian would be more logical triptych imo

EDIT: Sorry, Russia was technically absolute monarchy untill 1905...still authoritarian would fit as well

Well.... Monarchy in the Aristotelian sense means 'rule of one' [vs rule of few oligarchy and rule of many] 

This is a very impressive litany of features, a considerable expansion on what we have today! I certainly wish you the best of luck in implementing them.

I would say that which interests me most are the interactions with minor nations, and the use of an Oil resource. I wonder if being on good terms with an oil producing nation will let us use oil more cheaply than otherwise? Either way, it provides a good incentive to value certain territories, even if they lack major port facilities.

I’m also happy to see so many early-game hulls added. I have enjoyed starting in 1890 recently, with the challenges of making the best of rough technology and squeezing enough range to cross the Atlantic from a ship with poor engine efficiency. When you have enough tech to build a more functional ship for the first time it feels very rewarding when they start coming into service. All these additional hull variations will be great for the variety of that era.

3 hours ago, admiralsnackbar said:

Well.... Monarchy in the Aristotelian sense means 'rule of one' [vs rule of few oligarchy and rule of many] 

Well...in historical context sense no monarchy in the game timespan was rule of one. Certainly not of any given monarch.

Edited by puxflacet

i really hope we getting a great update and not a buggy update and if this is the finale campaign update i would give anything to see some more british battleships battlecruiser and and heavy and light cruisers could use some new hulls and super structure design between 1910 and 1940post full release

Natural born German I hate the Swastika,and what it stood for. This is a game I have no problem with the flag. But makes nice target as above stated. As people in Ukraine feel the same. I would like to see National Spain flag. It would be interesting to see politics play a greater role. Plus more involvement. My only problem is placing guns on side of deck on destroyers, as I have not been able to. Also have problem with placement on larger ships. Or am I missing something?

On 12/13/2022 at 11:03 AM, Nick Thomadis said:

NEW NAVAL ACADEMY MISSION
- Work in Progress, it will be announced soon.

BALANCES & FIXES
- Work in Progress, they will be announced soon.

i will be waiting for these.

sounds like a really good update no more "doom stacks" and shared ships..

huge.. thats all i can say

• Like 2

Please also consider some economics with the ship building capacity. For instance, if the dockyards of a nation are constantly used these should increase in capacity faster than a nation that has them idle. Actually, idle shipyards should reduce the capacity, this should also give you an incentive to build ships for allied nations as these shipyard orders will boost your shipbuilding economy as well.