Game-Labs Forum

>>>v1.09+ Feedback<<<

Nick Thomadis

The game is rather stable, however i just got stuck on "Next Turn". It appears that if you accept a peace offer from a nation that will be dissolved just afterwards (from bankruptcy) the game will then get stuck next time you end the turn.

• Like 1

Ships in formation still lack speed control. If the leader slows down the following ships don't adjust speed and swerve wildly.

When secondary batteries are firing quickly the main battery stops firing. Is this due to confusion with shell splashed? It doesn't seem like having uniform batteries or researching technology improvements is having enough of an effect here.

Task forces don't seem to engage other ships.

Subs engage each other once in a while but never ships. Shouldn't subs be getting constant convoy actions?

When a country blockades another, all their allies are counting as part of the blockade, even if they have no ships in the region. The effect on the blockaded country's economy then compounds based on how many allies there are. This doesn't seem very balanced.

The game says I have 5 provinces but I have no information on what they are? We really need more data. Like number of ship types in service, provinces and income information, etc.

• Like 5

Performance:

Still alot of lagg after a few battles. The FPS drops make it unplayable. Also the hole computer laggs. The GPU usage stays at 100% and i need to quit the game and start it again to regain performance. I guess there is somewhere temporary data saved in the grafics ram.

Gameplay:

Smoke interference is atm directly connected to the amount of xxx. That doesn't make a lot of sense. It should be correlated to the current engine output. So i would be more visible when going fast.

Ship naming is bugged atm. Can you just remove the numbers the game puts behind refits? They don't work and look stupid. I see two options. Let the player have full control over the refit name. Or make a system that makes more sense, just remove the counter (- 2, - 3, etc.). And please let us rename existing blueprints, ship in construction and exsisting ships.

Why can't i build a refited version of a ship from scratch? I don't want to copy it and make a new class.

In blueprint construction we need to get rid of the error that doesn't allow turrets of refits be placed because they are to far away from old position. In real life refits could be quite dramatic. Sometimes cruisers or battleships would be transformed into carriers. When a ship can become a completely different ship type, why not place the turret somewhere else? You don't mind if we place 8 inch secondaries all over the place either.

Can we exchange the slider for displacement with one for ship length and make the length change smoothly like beam and draught? Also, shouldn't the overall length influence the topspeed of the ship?

Bugs:

AI build ships in campain that are utterly useless. in my japan campain china build BBs with 94% foreward offset. First, how is that even possible and second, no wonder they can't even hit 1% accuracy.

Ships produce battles even if they are parked in ports or somewhere far away on the map.

Shipdamage and ammo isn't saved after battle. For example i finish the battle with some damages (80% structure remaining and rudder damaged) and no more AP rounds for the main guns. Next turn the same ship get's into the next battle, which should be an easy win. The battle starts and i see that my rudder is working again and i have regained some AP rounds but i lost another 20ish % hull structure and have 3 engine damages now. In other words the easy win becomes an unwinable battle.

Edited by MasterBurte
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, MasterBurte said:

Ships produce battles even if they are parked in ports or somewhere far away on the map.

Not a bug, there are different mission types you can set for each ship. Defend will keep them in port and only use them for port defense. It's not historically inaccurate for ships to sortie directly from port on missions, especially during the early time period.

I've played about 10 hours of the new version this is what stands out to me: 

Penetration seems bugged, it is far too hard to penetrate ships even when it should be easy looking at the pen vs effective armor. From 5km with 40 inches of pen vs 20 inches of armor and close to 90 degree angle, every single shot should penetrate or over penetrate. Somehow I am getting partials and ricochets for half my hits?? (Including to main belt!)

This problem makes it critical to get the biggest gun possible, since weaker guns are essentially useless to anything with more than an inch or two of armor. They rarely penetrate and when they do they don't do enough damage.  I should not need 15 inch guns to kill CLs.

Another observation is that there is no consistency in the balance between different sizes of gun, 12 inch is still a magical sniper cannon with greatly improved accuracy. All the guns should work off of the same formula, and right now it does not seem that they do which makes no sense. 

Finally, making your barrels longer immediately destroys any hope of ever penetrating deck armor. Not in a realistic way, but in a completely contrived way that feels very artificial and is completely out of line with the increases to shell velocity. I'm glad we don't just make the longest gun barrels we can without thinking about it, but it's a bit bizarre how it works currently. 

Edited by Makko
  • Like 2

My feedback is generally as follows: Thank you! We love this game and appreciate all the hard work you guys have put in to it, especially during these troubling times. Great job guys. 

We will continue to report bugs and issues. The new updates and features have been a blast. However, it seems that more attention is still needed to polish the current game and iron out the bugs. I would recommend the developers shift focus away from future versions and continue to improve the current version first. This game is already gold, just needs more polishing.

Well, I just killed China by forcing them to give up Formosa and...Mongolia.
Now the game is hanging at "Next Turn", no attempts at resolution have worked.
So, it appears that campaign is over.

Edited by Kane

10 hours ago, Schmitty21 said:

When secondary batteries are firing quickly the main battery stops firing. Is this due to confusion with shell splashed? It doesn't seem like having uniform batteries or researching technology improvements is having enough of an effect here.

This bug has been present since 1.06 at least, and i'm glad it's getting voiced again, since it's very annoying to say the least. When i was testing this (in 1.06, so i haven't done it yet, but will look at it), i found that it's not a main battery vs secundary battery bug, more like low caliber guns (50-70mm / 2-3inch) interfiering with the "middle" caliber guns (127-250mm/ 5-9inch) This means it mostly affects DDs, Cls, CAs, at least for me. When i looked at any ship using more than 300mm main batteries, they worked fine.

It has nothing to do with research or shell splases, because if i change the secoundaries to fire on A ship, and the mains to fire on B ship, they still refuse to fire consistenly. 

So yes, usually disableing the secoundaries "solves" the problem, but i hope don't have to tell how frustrating is to put those guns on the ship, and I'm either forced to not use them, or suffer with a very low main battery effectiveness. 

Sure this is not a critical bug because this does not crash the game or anything, but it still should be high priority to repair. I don't know what would help the devs here. This can also be reproduced in those normal quick matches as well from the menu, i tried it once or twice to test out what guns should i be using in campaign :D for exaple, previously i liked using 70mm and 127mm guns on dds at the same time, but with this bug, only the 70mm guns were firing, and the 127 very rarely. So i checked how it behaves (like playing with range, when only the 127 could fire, or moving closer for the 70-s to join. as soon as the 70-s start firing, the 127-ns effectiveness drops drasticly) Of course, using only 1 type of gun solves the problem, so i redesigned my dds.

I'm going to work now, but when i get back, i will test what causes the problem on a CA for example. because in theory i can use 127mm guns with the 200mm, but not the 50 or 70mm, which usually gets picked for me, since they have place on the toweres. 

Edited by PainKiller
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Back after being banned.

Has anyone else noticed that the time needed to travel a certain distance on the world map is way too slow? For example, my 1898 BB with a cruising speed of ~12 knots takes 16 turns (months!) to travel from Danzig to Tsingtau. The cruiser Fürst Bismarck with a similar top speed only took 1 1/2 months in 1900!

Fürst Bismarck was accompanied by two freighters, so their average speed as a group must have been 11 knots to make the journey in 42 days (~1 1/2 months). So yes, ships in UAD move WAY too slow across the globe.

65x7Pww.jpg

Edited by ZorinW
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, PainKiller said:

This bug has been present since 1.06 at least, and i'm glad it's getting voiced again, since it's very annoying to say the least. When i was testing this (in 1.06, so i haven't done it yet, but will look at it), i found that it's not a main battery vs secundary battery bug, more like low caliber guns (50-70mm / 2-3inch) interfiering with the "middle" caliber guns (127-250mm/ 5-9inch) This means it mostly affects DDs, Cls, CAs, at least for me. When i looked at any ship using more than 300mm main batteries, they worked fine.

It has nothing to do with research or shell splases, because if i change the secoundaries to fire on A ship, and the mains to fire on B ship, they still refuse to fire consistenly. 

So yes, usually disableing the secoundaries "solves" the problem, but i hope don't have to tell how frustrating is to put those guns on the ship, and I'm either forced to not use them, or suffer with a very low main battery effectiveness. 

Sure this is not a critical bug because this does not crash the game or anything, but it still should be high priority to repair. I don't know what would help the devs here. This can also be reproduced in those normal quick matches as well from the menu, i tried it once or twice to test out what guns should i be using in campaign :D for exaple, previously i liked using 70mm and 127mm guns on dds at the same time, but with this bug, only the 70mm guns were firing, and the 127 very rarely. So i checked how it behaves (like playing with range, when only the 127 could fire, or moving closer for the 70-s to join. as soon as the 70-s start firing, the 127-ns effectiveness drops drasticly) Of course, using only 1 type of gun solves the problem, so i redesigned my dds.

I'm going to work now, but when i get back, i will test what causes the problem on a CA for example. because in theory i can use 127mm guns with the 200mm, but not the 50 or 70mm, which usually gets picked for me, since they have place on the toweres. 

This is also a issue happening in my current campaign 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another issue, among many others, is port capacity. Especially foreign ports don't grow fast enough. In my current camapign I am in the year 1922 and can't build a single ship type small enough to not exceed the port capacity of a fair number of my overseas stations.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Alphaone said:

The game is effectively unplayable. My existing campaign can't be used as updating missions causes it to stop responding. I started a new campaign as the UK and found I can't move ships to my ports. I tried again with a new US campaign every month the game grinds to a halt on building new ships. If no designs show up after a couple minutes I can exit to main menu and reload the campaign. In the best case it takes 2-3 minutes to advance to the next month. That being said the map is working right finally. 

Now my america campaign stops responding too, only made it 10 months

It occurs to me that Austria-Hungary is the center of all politics in the world.

You are inevitably either allied to Austria-Hungary and at war, or you are not allied with Austria-Hungary and at war with Austria-Hungary. This is planet Earth in a nutshell.

In my last American campaign, I sat there. Inevitably, Austria-Hungary demanded my entire naval budget, so I said no. So they declared war on me. It doesn't matter where I station my fleet, it doesn't change anything it's as if I'm at peace with the exception of losing transports. Therefore, the PORT where your ships are at is now vitally important to the war effort.

So I sent a third of my fleet to a southeastern port. From there they sortied to defend convoys in the Caribbean. Finally some activity. I'm backing up a little to say this is 1913 in a 1910 campaign. So fleet range is vitally important. That means that the perfect location for the entire Austro-Hungarian navy to park - was just south of San Diego - with their engines broken and their steering locked. It was perfect - because I never found them. I couldn't sail from San Diego manually to engage them I'd run out of fuel searching for them. If I sat in port nothing ever happened. So...perfect for them.

All told, I ended up at war with them, Great Britain, France and China who, for some odd reason, felt it wise to ally with Austria-Hungary. Very well. Some action finally.

10 years of war in which Germany got involved, I knocked them out quickly, Austria-Hungary quit the war, I took their money, but I was still at war with Great Britain, France and China. *shrug* don't ask me why. It just kept going on. Eventually I beat Germany twice, Austria-Hungary was back in the war.

The losses of everyone involved except me were critical. The list of ships heavily damaged or sunk at the Panama Canal each month were too long to list. I lost 1 CA and 4 DDs in the entire war. My government kept begging me to surrender but I wouldn't. Because...

...I was losing somehow. The enemy had managed to amass a grand total of 346 VPs in 13 years. Yet I was losing by 54,000 VPs.

-------------

Anyway back to the original point. I love playing Japan, I get lots of activity there. As Japan I WILL end up at war with Austria-Hungary. Don't ask me how. Germany? Austria-Hungary. Britain? Austria-Hungary.

If the campaign goes on long enough, the US ends up in a Cold War between super-powers with Austria-Hungary.

I have decided to start a campaign as Austria-Hungary and build nothing but submarines until my economy is the most powerful in the world. Will I lose wars? Sure. But I have no territory to lose, it's impossible to eliminate me, and money? Plenty to spread around.

...then build a modern nuclear navy and sail to San Diego and camp out there...

edit- well that didn't last long. 1896, I was overthrown lol.

Edited by Admiral Donuts
  • Like 8

On 11/2/2022 at 4:21 AM, The PC Collector said:

I've said ot dozens of times, but I'll say it once more... THE TENSION SYSTEM SIMPLY DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE.

5 years into the campaign, I have nothing else than constant wars with Russia and the US... all the rest of countries have so high relationships that I have no chance of ever going to war with them. The game is pretty much US and Russia (each one on their own) against the world.

Oh, it's totally possible to go to war with them. If they ask to be your allies, but ask for money, you can pick the option that pisses them off. I did that because the game was too easy. Only, now I'm fighting everyone all the time and there's no option to make peace. People joined my wars even as I was reducing tensions. I've had turns with 10+ forced battles.

In the grim darkness of the 2nd millenium AD there is only war. (and it's not fun)

16 minutes ago, kineuhansen said:

biggest thing i would love to see in campaign is the fleet limits and some hulls still need fixing and speeking about hulls would love to see some cruiser hulls with some brand new superstructure

Oh man the US seriously needs real cruiser hulls. We need Omaha, and US Treaty Cruisers for sure, then the WWII era cruisers. The US is the least fleshed out nation with the most diverse navy at this point. No Dreadnoughts from South Carolina till the Modernized Standards, no Lexington Hull, No South Dakota 1921 Hull, no Tillman Hulls. No Olympia (protected Cruiser with 8 Inch Guns literally cannot be built, and protected cruisers don't get twins until like 1920 in my games), no double stacked Predreadnought turrets...

• Like 2

Just fought a ridiculous battle against the entire French fleet (3 BB, 40+ CA, 40+ CL) off the French coast. There's definitely an issue with ships and the Avoid Ship order. 90% of the enemy fleet was bunched up right next to each other and completely stationary the whole battle. It was like their fleet was all at anchor.

Also, one of my cruisers was damaged pretty badly but sad it could make 4 knots. Instead of being able to limp it away from the battlefield the ship got stuck in place and wouldn't move at all.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kineuhansen said:

speeking about hulls would love to see some cruiser hulls with some brand new superstructure

One of the main reasons I much prefer playing Japan and Italy over anyone else at the moment in the campaign is precisely because of their decent variety of unique cruiser hulls and structures. I'd like to see a proper Leander, Town/Crown Colony and County class Hulls, super structures and Turrets for the RN, Omaha, Brooklyn and Northampton types for the US, as well as more varied destroyer hull and turret types. Cruisers also need a lot of rebalancing especially when it comes to speed and armour, you can easily make 35+ kn light cruisers with near enough 6 inches of armour all over the hull on ~8,000 tonnes displacement going from around the mid 1920s onwards, which is completely ludicrous.

This obviously takes back seat to making the campaign work and getting a solid interactable diplomacy system in place (please let me take the enemy to the negotiating table if i've crushed their entire fleet and blockaded them for 3 years.)

• Like 1