Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta 1.05 Available!<<< (Update: 18, PRE-RELEASE)

Nick Thomadis

1 hour ago, Drenzul said:

3> Pitch calculations are WELL out of wack for larger ships. My 61500 ton BBs with 4x2 18" guns and I'm struggling to get below 45% pitch which is a bit silly. (Yeah I know its overweight, was just slapping that one together as a demo)
Nothing particular exceptional about that design, its a well balanced ship. Pitch shouldn't be that bad.
Also at 45% pitch, well when maneuvering the deck is literally flooded, if its pitching that bad, its not sea-worthy.

The tower seems to be a massive factor, adding radar or sonar added quite a lot to the pitch score.

Pitch shouldn't be a factor till ships actually become unbalanced, the current calculation is just not fit for purpose.
Things like total ammo weight all seeming to be applied on the turrets as well need to be fixed.

5> Related to pitch.... REALLY need that turret resize with the pitch calculations or everyone is basically forced to use 4x turrets to squeeze them as close to the centre of the ship as possible. Which really squeezes the fun out of designing ships.

6> Shell distribution still worse than 1.4 IMHO. Its really blatant that its just working off the % and guiding the lucky roll shell straight to the enemy ship while everything else misses at the moment. Seems to be massively over-leading faster ships been the main issue. With slower ships it seems much better.

Edit: This ship has 45% pitch....
screen_1920x1080_2022-04-10_09-06-30.png

It seems possible to have what you want.

5LgsUOG.jpg

The issue is to have a good hull to support those 4x2 18 inch guns. The germans BBs are not good for this, since their superstructure components does not support 18 inch guns. (in the 60k tons+/- limit BB hull)

Probably a 3x3 18 inch guns will be easier for most hulls. (again, not the germans)

EDIT:

Just for fun, i lowered the beam value to the minimum possible to see what would be the impact.

afPJBFC.jpg

10k tons lighter and 110M cheaper. Not bad.

Beta feedback

It seems i found an issue with the components.

Cordite III - shell weight +22.5%

Modern triple base - shell weight +10.5%

The issue is in fact is the opposite. Modern triple base, weights more in comparison with Cordite III.

d7yPVP5.jpg

4KPRD1k.jpg

@Nick Thomadis

Edited by o Barão

$400 million for one BB? 
Mine was under $200!!!! 

A lot I think is the massive pointless section in the middle of the UK towers pushes the turrets out towards the edges but to be honest, my design looks like a lot of real life BBs which weren't pitch crazy.

20 minutes ago, Drenzul said:

$400 million for one BB? 
Mine was under $200!!!! 

A lot I think is the massive pointless section in the middle of the UK towers pushes the turrets out towards the edges but to be honest, my design looks like a lot of real life BBs which weren't pitch crazy.

You never mentioned anything about the cost, but if that is the issue...

DO5P4ar.jpg

50k ton BB with 4x2 18 inch guns, with good sailing characteristics, for only 117M. 😁

And i could get more of that, but is pointless. It is not so much a question about funds, but how you use the components available to design the ship.

3 hours ago, o Barão said:

You never mentioned anything about the cost, but if that is the issue...

DO5P4ar.jpg

50k ton BB with 4x2 18 inch guns, with good sailing characteristics, for only 117M. 😁

And i could get more of that, but is pointless. It is not so much a question about funds, but how you use the components available to design the ship.

No, I was just surprised how you even managed to build anything that cost that much!

Guessing that is a AH ship? Can you manage the same with the UK hulls? 
I'm hitting over 14% pitch just adding the towers.

Or possibly the MB3 hull is just a lot better in that regard than the UK MB1 hull. (Which is highest you get at 1930)

1 hour ago, Drenzul said:

No, I was just surprised how you even managed to build anything that cost that much!

Guessing that is a AH ship? Can you manage the same with the UK hulls? 
I'm hitting over 14% pitch just adding the towers.

Or possibly the MB3 hull is just a lot better in that regard than the UK MB1 hull. (Which is highest you get at 1930)

As you mentioned before. That secondary tower is too big. I didn't try that one, instead a compact one.

33jRAgW.jpg

27.7 knots. If i lower the beam value i can get something around 52k tons and of course much cheaper from this design. (but with accuracy penalties, but for the price saving I think is worth it)

yyseBEn.jpg

I also didn't tweak the armor values. I could lower the bow and stern just to give enough protection against HE from cruiser caliber guns but enough to bait the AI to use AP from the BBs main guns. This could then be applied to have more speed (bigger engines - more weight in the middle-less pitch)+(less weight in the bow/stern-less pitch) a win-win.

If you really want to use that big secondary tower my suggestion would be to go with 3x3 18 inch guns. But imo is not worth it. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, o Barão said:

Sadly, i must report, I'm also seeing the new issue reported by other players about guns not firing without a reason.

To9T3Hy.jpg

Crane Tower I and Crane Tower I (Enhanced) seems they are facing the wrong way.

Both have a structure that envelops the funnel it seems, if they were facing the other side.

Will be fixed. Thanks a lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@o BarãoYeah, as I said, it makes quite a lot of previous valid builds now invalid.
I mean not much point having those long towers if they are basically unusable now.

Quite a few hulls only have long towers available....

screen_1920x1080_2022-04-11_00-01-59.thumb.png.24cffa61325e6d3649b9983f98af5fd8.png
@Nick Thomadis See the damaged ship, thats turn 2, no previous combats have happened.

In log on 7 second mark, before I had even spotted the enemy, at least 3 ships suffering engine and rudder damage.
They shouldn't start the campaign damaged right?

1 hour ago, slightlytreasonous said:

You know pitch and roll has always been there, right?

Yeah but practically identical build that was at 20 pitch is now at 45, bit of a difference 🤣

Not sure exactly what has changed but I always check them and smoke interference when building a ship as Ive been burnt before ☺️

Maybe something on the British hull line has changed 🤷‍♂️

dont know if this is a bug or intended but if you put out say for example 3 task forces of 5 ships they keep merging into 1 big task force even if they are placed relatively far apart. Whats worse is as I said before after any battle win or lose all the ships rtb which means I can have basically my entire fleet rtb after a nothing encounter because theyve all merged into 1 group

=============

Update: 18 (12/4/2022) Pre-Release

- Increased Starting funds in campaign when you build your own fleet (They were too low, as many players said).
- Increased the money of AI for the harder difficulty levels.
- Fixed the too accurate 9-inch gun as per feedback.
- Improved further the ship motion at sea.
- AI auto-design further improvements.
- Battle AI became more capable in holding an effective firing line while moving.
- The Damage model received more improvements as a balance for the new AP/HE options. The difference of penetration and damage  between all the different shell types will be more distinct. HE will do more cumulative damage (before the HE shells more often caused zero damage and ignited fires) but the AP full penetrations will have a distinct larger effect.
- Other minor fixes.

Please note that the release must delay for the following:
- We need to fix an occasional freeze issue which happens during the process of Auto-Design. This freeze usually happens at the first gameplay session and is not causing crash unless the player keeps pressing buttons during the waiting.

- Additionally, we need to fix a reported issue with aiming which can interrupt shooting in very rare cases.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

=============

Update: 18 (12/4/2022) Pre-Release

- Increased Starting funds in campaign when you build your own fleet (They were too low, as many players said).
- Increased the money of AI for the harder difficulty levels.
- Fixed the too accurate 9-inch gun as per feedback.
- Improved further the ship motion at sea.
- AI auto-design further improvements.
- Battle AI became more capable in holding an effective firing line while moving.
- The Damage model received more improvements as a balance for the new AP/HE options. The difference of penetration and damage  between all the different shell types will be more distinct. HE will do more cumulative damage (before the HE shells more often caused zero damage and ignited fires) but the AP full penetrations will have a distinct larger effect.
- Other minor fixes.

Please note that the release must delay for the following:
- We need to fix an occasional freeze issue which happens during the process of Auto-Design. This freeze usually happens at the first gameplay session and is not causing crash unless the player keeps pressing buttons during the waiting.

- Additionally, we need to fix a reported issue with aiming which can interrupt shooting in very rare cases.

Amazing! Thank you, Nick. Any idea why the 12" Mark V guns are also disproportionately accurate (compared to the 13" Mark Vs)? [Source]

mOq7gok.png

Edited by neph
  • Like 2

I know it can't be in this patch, but if possible, in 1890 Triple Expansion Engines and Nickle Steel Armor where already known and being used, if possible could you make both techs available at the start of the game. The only reason in 1890 anyone was using direct action steam or iron plate/compound armor was they couldn't afford modern armor. It is still useful for cheap ships but doesn't really reflect what was available in 1890. 

Also can you look into why when you hit reverse engines the ship comes to a dead stop, with no deceleration, and then when you resume forward it acts as if it never slowed down. 

Could you guys consider normalizing resistance stats? There are some super battleship hulls that can reach upwards of 95% damage reduction which makes them unreasonably difficult to kill to the point where 20 inch super heavy HE shells deal single digit damage on partial pens. A little bit of variation in durability is fine, but when one hull takes literally 1% of the damage of another hull of the same class from the same shell, that seems like an unintended problem.

Also, could we have an actual exponential curve for speed vs horsepower instead of the stepped/linear system we currently have? It's a bit confusing when designing ships to have tiny increases in engine weight for a few knots, then an extra 0.1 knots adds thousands of tons to the engine before returning to tiny increases again.

5 minutes ago, vyprestrike said:

Could you guys consider normalizing resistance stats? There are some super battleship hulls that can reach upwards of 95% damage reduction which makes them unreasonably difficult to kill to the point where 20 inch super heavy HE shells deal single digit damage on partial pens. A little bit of variation in durability is fine, but when one hull takes literally 1% of the damage of another hull of the same class from the same shell, that seems like an unintended problem.

Also, could we have an actual exponential curve for speed vs horsepower instead of the stepped/linear system we currently have? It's a bit confusing when designing ships to have tiny increases in engine weight for a few knots, then an extra 0.1 knots adds thousands of tons to the engine before returning to tiny increases again.

but its fun to use 1890 torpedo boat, 30.9kn's easy, 31kn's you get nothing.

So, before when you disband a formation, the ships would sometimes get stuck on a sudo AI mode, and just utterly ignore your course changes. But, they could be fixed by turning AI on and off, now not even that works, they just pretty much want to retreat and you cant stop them.

Here is a picture of my ship choosing not to target anything with its main gun, wile ships are in secondary range and secondary guns are engaging targets.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

As far as the ship auto designer goes these days, they are a cargo cult building good looking ships, ships that look like good designs, but everything is a bit off, and unbalanced, and the ship is an totally useless basket case.

+1.2 hull stability & towers, the stat that appears to be what all the tower bonuses, component bonuses, draft and beam penalties and bonuses, smoke penalty and imbalance penalties added and subtracted together equal. Click on a ship, look at that stat, and you will know if the ship is any good at gunnery or not. The 1930 UK modernized dreads that i designed and was fighting these with had a +87.5 hull stability & towers stat by comparison.

Here is how inaccurate there guns stats are as a result.

literally no armor, hard minimums save for turret armor.

And that horrifying longitudinal weight offset. With the high pitch and role, those dual funnels probably causing terrible smoke interference, that +1.2 hull stability & towers stat is believable.

To make improvements to that auto designer at this point, that has to be hard limits in place that prevent ships with terrible accuracy penalties from being published.

New campaign 1890 in most current update I found a minor bug in the campaing when starting / loading one:

When ready the loading screen states "Click to continue" but if you choose to click with your enter-key you actually confirm any dialog in the background, even if you cannot see it.

Easiest way to reproduce:

1. Start a new campaign (make sure to not autogenerate ships)

2. Wait untill loadscreen states "Click to continue"

3. "Click" with your Enter key

--> you will get the warning for start campaign without having any ships built, but you are still on the loadscreen.

I believe this applies to earlier versions as well, because sometimes I went for a nap before starting a huge battle and when loading the next day That battle did not happen anymore, most likely because i confirmed the fight window by hitting Enter on loadscreen.

Thank you for the change to the crane tower variants and for fixing the draught level issue.

A few more improvements to the 3D artist.

jz7cXgm.jpg

The torpedoes launchers are hidden (minor visual issue/they still work)

Tfl7PxV.jpg

Please consider moving this secondary placement to this location, and remove the torpedo launcher from that location (X)

Reasons:

- Any secondary gun in that position is limiting the fire arc for the main battery.

- Historical, those side mounted placements for the secondaries were placed behind the main tower superstructure, amidships.

zQDTlFY.jpg

Same thing, we can see in other jpn cruisers: Tone, Furutaka, Myoko

• Like 1

hello @Nick Thomadis now that it hopefully looks like this patch is ready to release once the last couple bugs are quashed can you tell us what the plan for the next patch is? as per usual given the circumstances i hope that you and the team are as well as can be and that your freinds and families are equally as well