Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta 1.05 Available!<<< (Update: 5)

Nick Thomadis

Just to further verify here is a new BB design, where I can choose guncotton.

Like I said it was working normally before your patch this afternoon that steam pushed out, if that helps yall track it down.

also incase it helps here is my computer specs

Ryzen 5 3600X

16GB DDR4 3600

Geforce RTX 3060 Ti

512GB SSD (where game is installed)

Windows 11 Pro fully updated

test.jpg

Edited by Candle_86

Okay... I tried my pre-update campaign, and refit didn't work... I started a 1900 campaign and built deliberately obsolete ships only to try the refit issue, and as far as I can tell, refit is working for me with new campaign.

As a non related note... Anyone else has issues with new campaign taking forever to start now?

Edited by The PC Collector

14 minutes ago, The PC Collector said:

Okay... I tried my pre-update campaign, and refit didn't work... I started a 1900 campaign and built deliberately obsolete ships only to try the refit issue, and as far as I can tell, refit is working for me with new campaign.

As a non related note... Anyone else has issues with new campaign taking forever to start now?

Here is what I've noticed, parts you knew when the ship was built you can do, i can say take that 1890 BB and change its armor to compound, but I can't however research something after it was built and upgrade to it, that seems to be the issue

1 hour ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Are the control settings working for you, to change the keys to the ones you want or simply to reset to default?

No, I'm using default, they just stop working.

I double click to zoom to a ship and it'll take up to 30seconds for the camera to start moving. Ships happily blasting away in that time with no lag at all. Keyboard camera movement and mouse movement also don't work in this time. 

I do everything but move the camera.

I'll give it a full reinstall see if that helps

Did try lowering graphics but no effect and tbh this game doesn't really strain my 2080ti even at 4k max settings

36 minutes ago, The PC Collector said:

Okay, can confirm what Candle says. Started a new game with A-H in 1890, researched noze fuze and guncotton, I'm not able to refit my existing ships with it.

So, it seems to be confirmed that today's update broke the refit function.

thank you for the confirmation, now i don't feel crazy.

36 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

So you cant change gun grade with a refit?

nope not anymore, its now working like copy did under 1.04 its stuck at the technology you knew when built 

as for the taking forever it was for me also until i did the clean install now its very fast to start

Edited by Candle_86

3 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Are the control settings working for you, to change the keys to the ones you want or simply to reset to default?

Ok, full reinstall reduced but not removed it. 
There is a noticeable stutter at times now. 

Thinking about it I can't be sure it's this patch, as I uninstalled the launcher and reinstalled it via Steam so could be an issue there. Wouldn't of thought that would affect anything however, its on the same SSD.

So my initial impressions of the 1.5 beta and the issues I see are these:

1. The camera seems...slower, harder to move, "jankier" than before. Whether with the keyboard or mouse, it seems delayed and "stuck" often. This happens in the designer, campaign, and in battles, but is most annoying in the battles because situational awareness is key and a slow/stuck camera doesn't help that. Basically, it doesn't seem as smooth as it used to be for whatever reason

2. Please, please, please, please, please come up with some better system for returning ships to port(s) after a battle. It needs to be more transparent and perhaps have player input if you are worried about overfiling ports past tonnage capacity (I.E. "Ship A wants to dock at Port A but it is full! Return to Port B instead Y/N ?"). I have brought this point up many times in the past and this needs to be changed ASAP. It is extremely annoying to have for example - a battle off of Pula in the Adriatic Sea, only to have one of my TBs and CL decide to go to CAGLIARI in SARDINIA for repairs. Ancona...Bari...Taranto...no, let's go to Sardinia and leave the area altogether!

And no, the ports were not at capacity. I don't know what calculation goes into which ships return to which ports, but I had hoped this would be changed by now. It was bad enough as Germany with ships that left Emden ending up in Breslau after battles...but this shuffling is even worse given Italy's geography and it's scattered ports. I can just imagine what could happen with France w/ both Med and Atl ports...

3. The initial campaign loadup is much slower than before. I know there is obviously a larger map with more nations and thus vessels, but this should be optimized. I have a fast CPU over 4GHz, and it still took over a minute, whereas the old Britain vs. Germany map would load in a few seconds.

I could quickly see this becoming an issue for people with slower computers, and I saw @Admiral Short suggest being able to play custom battles while waiting to load. When I first saw that prior to loading up this beta, my brain went: "This man must be crazy! It only takes a few seconds!" If it took 60+ seconds for me, I can only imagine how long it must be taking some players' machines if they are resorting to asking for custom battles during loading!

4. Once again I don't trust my ships' pathfinding and formation keeping worth a damn...but I won't go too far into this as it is a longstanding work in progress, I understand. Basically I manually control all my vessels because otherwise it just gets too messy. I don't have specific feedback at this time, but I still believe many general improvements are needed here, particularly at a battle's start with screens and followers barging through the general formation.

5. Strange fleet compositions appear to be the norm. A-H built 36 CAs...and handful each of CLs and TBs, and no BBs. Germany had 50+ ships to start, while Britain had 30 something. Not saying the Brits might not have built quality over quantity, but I suspect this is some buff to Germany or nerf to Entente so that the Germans don't automatically get steamrolled 2-1 by GB and France.

6. I need to play more but so far I would like to see more visual backgrounds/weather, my other longstanding issue.

More could be said but I don't want this too long and it is sufficient for this stage of the beta. Nice work on the map and new mechanics. The bones are there.

Edited by Littorio

23 hours ago, AurumCorvus said:

For less extreme versions, the British did a lot of refits to strengthen deck armor after Jutland. I know the Renown class had a lot of completely new deck armor added. Combining with the above, there's really no reason that ships are truly completely bound to the armor scheme that they came out. It's (like you mentioned) a cost and effort vs effectiveness argument. You'd have to rebalance the ship and make sure the belt is thick enough if you change from turtleback to AoN, but there's nothing really that stops you. Superstructure can be removed to get access to the deck armor (after all, towers are often changed around; just see the Queen Elizabeth's gaining the Queen Anne's mansion superstructure).

There is one practical limit to adding armor, though: the face-hardening process. You can add as much backing as you want; that's the relatively soft metal and doesn't require much. However, you can't make "more" face-hardened armor. That's one of the reasons refitted armor is slightly less effective than true designed-for armor. It lacks the same ratio of face-hardened to soft armor that would otherwise be present (because it only has the 'face-hardened' amount that it originally had).

The one part I am concerned about is the double/triple hulls, though. I'm not aware of any refits off the top of my head that would give historical justification. But it kinda makes sense if you consider that you're carving out space on the inside to add a hull? Maybe? It's not like a torpedo bulge where you get more displacement; your displacement is fixed, you're just changing the internals, and mostly with structural steel, I would think.

Replacing belt armor is usually easier than improving deck armor, so long as plates are available. With decks, one has to figure out how to maneuver the plates through all the overlying structure, which can be tough. Might have to raze everything above that deck, first. I think barbette armor would also be fairly difficult, and actual movement of the barbettes would become exponentially harder with bigger turrets.

Deck armor is almost always homogenous, incidentally, with a few odd exceptions.

Several US battleships in the interwar period were partially refitted with triple bottoms in place of their old double bottoms. This was, I think, exclusively under the machinery, and usually only under the boilers. These were replaced with smaller models, so builders were able to fit in a new skin above the previous inner. I think some of the ships that got new turbines also got triple bottoms beneath them. The other parts of those ships (under magazines, ends, etc) mostly kept their double bottom. There was also some thought of thickening the inner bottoms of some ships, but I'm not sure this was done to any real extent.

I found an extremely weird bug.

In my 1890 France campaign, there are no battles of any kind. Each nation builds up an absurdly large fleet, and uses it to attack merchant ships only. Germany and Austria Hungary never, ever leave their ports.

Consequently, Austria-Hungary has more than two hundred cruisers stuffed into their three ports. Each harbor has about 300% of its rated capacity, more than 300,000 tons in one of them.

The world is a state of constant piracy. There is extreme financial instability, because the merchant marines of the world occupy a terrifying Hell-scape, and the navies are continually built up for battles that never happen. Warships never engage each other and are never sunk. In ten years, not a single one has been lost or scrapped.

So, things are going pretty well for France.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, disc said:

I found an extremely weird bug.

In my 1890 France campaign, there are no battles of any kind. Each nation builds up an absurdly large fleet, and uses it to attack merchant ships only. Germany and Austria Hungary never, ever leave their ports.

Consequently, Austria-Hungary has more than two hundred cruisers stuffed into their three ports. Each harbor has about 300% of its rated capacity, more than 300,000 tons in one of them.

The world is a state of constant piracy. There is extreme financial instability, because the merchant marines of the world occupy a terrifying Hell-scape, and the navies are continually built up for battles that never happen. Warships never engage each other and are never sunk. In ten years, not a single one has been lost or scrapped.

So, things are going pretty well for France.

I saw the same thing, along with what appear to be some kind of rollover errors in the Political screen (The German Empire currently has negative GDP, a negative naval budget, and 340,282,300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 in the Naval Funds pool.

But my main issue is that the game is hanging in May 1907 with the "Building New Ships" message onscreen. Maybe there are too many ships sitting around mothballed? I don't know. Is there a way I can dump a debug log or something?

Edit: I should point out that it's not a hard hang. The campaign sits there forever (at least 20 minutes, which is as long as I was willing to be patient for) but I can exit out to the main menu, reload the campaign, etc. Tried restarting the game/computer but no dice.

Edited by Dave P.
more info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Littorio said:

I could quickly see this becoming an issue for people with slower computers, and I saw @Admiral Short suggest being able to play custom battles while waiting to load. When I first saw that prior to loading up this beta, my brain went: "This man must be crazy! It only takes a few seconds!" If it took 60+ seconds for me, I can only imagine how long it must be taking some players' machines if they are resorting to asking for custom battles during loading!

I totally agree. I have a still reasonably powerful but fairly old computer (I7 2600) and it takes around two minutes to load the initial capaign. I can't imagine how it might be for computers with lower specs, or even older than mine.

2 hours ago, Littorio said:

5. Strange fleet compositions appear to be the norm. A-H built 36 CAs...and handful each of CLs and TBs, and no BBs.

That's because currently, A-H's initial dockyard tonnage is set at 7500t, while they minimum tonnage for the initial BB hull they have is 8000t. Which means that they can't build BBs at the very least during the first 6 months of the campaign. Also, theit CL hull is garbage, they get essentially a the same hull as the CAs but with smaller guns, so no real reason to build CLs with A-H. I suppose that will be solved when the hulls intended to be in the full release of 1.05v are added and A-H (hopefully) gets their own hulls.

Couple of bugs and one suggestion for balance of the campaign, I'm 4 years in to a 1920's UK campaign and haven't had a single battle and the Growth in the financial column of politics tab is giving the same growth for every nation even though the GPD isn't changing in that way (UK GPD is growing but the growth is negative).

There seems to be a balance issue between the France, UK, Italy alliance and the Germany, Austria Hungary alliance with the former significantly out stripping the latter in GPD and navel funds.