Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta 1.05 Available!<<< (Update: 5)

Nick Thomadis

Feedback on the new 1.05 beta.

1)  New accuracy/precision functioning of guns seems better.  I am still having the issue I reported where when an enemy ship intersects the firing line between a ship that is firing (shooter), and a target ship, the intersecting ship suddenly receives 100% accurate, very tightly grouped fire.  I have a thread about this under general discussion.

2  New shipbuilding features of beam/draft are interesting. Can't say I like or dislike yet, but more customization is generally welcome.

3  Battle AI is...this is the worst I have ever stomped the AI:

1191996457_UltimateBadmiralsuckitAustria.thumb.png.6910ffe76906eb22cd6591069d0b14ff.png

My 2 BB, 2 TB face 2 BB, SEVEN CA, and 2 TB, for the loss of one TB and minor damage elsewhere, vs. sinking the entire enemy fleet.  By the last, the 2 BB were running from me, but the lead ship was doing 14.5 knots to my 17.5, so I ran them down, pelted with HE, slapped both with torps right on their big BB butts, and down they went.  It's one battle but I pray the AI does not continue to perform in this state.

• Like 2

When I just started my Austria-Hungary campaign, RnGsus gave me dockyards of 7500 capacity and BB 1 is 8000-11.000 t, meaning I can't build any BBs for the first half-year of the campaign.

Edit: Nevermind the RnG part. I started the campaign 3 additional times and it is always 7500 t.

Incidentally I also discovered that when I am in a campaign, go back to the main menu and start a new game, the game crashes on loading.

Edited by Norbert Sattler

4 minutes ago, Iuvenalis said:

I'd like to try this beta, but I haven't seen my steam key yet. For those though bought the game pre-steam, what was the subject of the email with the key? I'm wondering if I missed it.

For me it was "Release von Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts" with the sender being noreply@xsolla.com

27 minutes ago, UnleashtheKraken said:

I am still having the issue I reported where when an enemy ship intersects the firing line between a ship that is firing (shooter), and a target ship, the intersecting ship suddenly receives 100% accurate, very tightly grouped fire.  I have a thread about this under general discussion.

It's suspicious that we still didn't get a fix of this or any acknowledge of the issue from the developers, no matter how many times it was raised.

Edited by Captain Meow
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Meow said:

It's suspicious that we still didn't get a fix of this or any acknowledge of the issue from the developers, no matter how many times it was raised.

I've assumed it's because the "hit" is being determined by the actual shell impact, whereas your accuracy is basically rolling the dice, determining if a shell trajectory should be a hit or not. If not, the game is purposely firing close to the target but missing. However, if a non-targeted ship is in the way these "calculated misses" become hits to the collateral ship IF the trajectory intersects them. Again, this is just my assumption based on observation. Also, it's not actually "100% hit" to the non-target ship. Especially in the 1890s Ive observed plenty of misses to both in these scenarios which supports my assumed explanation.

• Like 2

Okay, now looking at the fleet distributions the balance for Austria Hungary is even more shot than just their in inability to build any BBs at the start.

The Italians started with 6 BBs, 13 CAs, 17 CL and 19 TBs (which is roughly equivalent to what the Brits have).

Meanwhile after blowing all my money I have 14 CAs and a single CL, going into the war with a whooping 255k funds.

I don't know how it is when you start with auto-designed fleets, but in "Create Own" mode, Austria Hungary is ridiculously screwed in their starting position.

Not to mention that Italy isn't even your own enemy, but also the UK and France, all of whom have bases in range of your ports.

This is neither historically accurate, not balanced from a gameplay side. I know Austria Hungary had a comparetively small fleet, but not to this ridiculous degree.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Norbert Sattler said:

Why does the beam decrease manouverbility? I thought a higher beam-to-length ratio traded speed for MORE manouverbility, hence why BCs tended to be more slender, but longer to achive their higher speeds but at the cost of being less manouverable.

BCs were longer and more slender to aid in higher speeds, yes. Turning a ship has a number of physical forces in play. Imagine for a moment two 10,000 ton cruisers. Cruiser A is very long, and very slender like a BC. Cruiser B is short and fat like an old ironclad. They both displace 10,000 tons, but A will have likely more vertical surface area in the water, and more of that area is going to be far away from the center of mass of the ship vs Cruiser B. When it goes to turn, it has to force that additional area against the water. Also because the bow and stern of the ship are further away from the center than in Cruiser B, a 1 degree change in heading means the bow is actually moving a greater absolute distance in this rotation, requiring more energy. There are also a host of other factors, too.

So, ignoring the fact that changing length to beam ratio will also create differences in hull form, taking cruiser A at her current length and just making her wider does nothing to mitigate the forces described above. In fact, it would likely make the ship more massive and increase displacement which would require again even more energy to turn. In short, I think the relationship you describe seems reasonable.

• Like 1

Thanks for getting the patch out!

The ability to change the beam and drought isn't very useful. I can't increase the width enough to add on any of the larger side guns on most of the hulls. Additionally you can't click on the values and edit them directly. The values that they modify aren't represented in the normal stats, but rather are only shown in their own stat. Additionally, the increase/decrease of beam/drought modifies the maximum tonnage of the ship, rather than modifying just the actual weight of the ship.
If you're going to modify the maximal tonnage, I'd prefer to not have limits on how large of a ship I can built past my drydock's size.

While following a ship, if you hover over anything with a tooltip it locks the camera in place and prevents you from returning to the ship until the tooltip is gone.

I would like to request the ability to use mouse-wheel to modify the rudder degree by 1º at a time if the courser is hovering over the control. Either that or the ability to manually input a rudder degree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norbert Sattler said:

Why does the beam decrease manouverbility? I thought a higher beam-to-length ratio traded speed for MORE manouverbility, hence why BCs tended to be more slender, but longer to achive their higher speeds but at the cost of being less manouverable.

For a locked tonnage, yes. The UAD beam increases tonnage, though, with length being locked, which is not the correct premise.

Admittedly, I haven't played around enough to check this, but you might be able to find conclusive proof through the turning radius. If, for a given tonnage both before and after the beam change, the turning radius (it's one of the right hand stats) does not decrease, that's a problem. If on the other hand with the same conditions, the wider ship has a lesser turning radius, then it's modeled correctly.

I'd be interested to find out in your tests! Otherwise, I can try it tonight.

Edited by AurumCorvus
even clearer wording of premise
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, AurumCorvus said:

For a locked tonnage, yes. The UAD beam increases tonnage, though, with length being locked, and tonnage increasing.

Admittedly, I haven't played around enough to check this, but you might be able to find conclusive proof through the turning radius. If, for a given tonnage both before and after the beam change, the turning radius (it's one of the right hand stats) does not decrease, that's a problem. If on the other hand with the same conditions, the wider ship has a lesser turning radius, then it's modeled correctly.

I'd be interested to find out in your tests! Otherwise, I can try it tonight.

I tried it out and a 10kt BB 1 with a single smoke-stack has 1.6°/s turn rate, -50.1% turn speed and 294 min turning circle. Course change time is 25.4/28.1 sec

With Beam cranked to max and displacement lowered so it's once again at 10kt the same BB has 1.18°/s turning rate, -65.3% turning speed and 276 min turning circle. Course change time is 21.9/24.7

So course changing time improves, but turning rate goes down? How is that possible? Wouldn't those two be tied together? And what does that mean in practice?

To me it looks like the ship can eventually get a tighter turn-rate if it's broader, but only in long-lasting turns. For quick-turns to dodge torpedoes and avoid colliding with other ships, it's worse... I think. Though again, the course change time really throws me off here.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Norbert Sattler said:

I tried it out and a 10kt BB 1 with a single smoke-stack has 1.6°/s turn rate, -50.1% turn speed and 294 min turning circle. Course change time is 25.4/28.1 sec

With Beam cranked to max and displacement lowered so it's once again at 10kt the same BB has 1.18°/s turning rate, -65.3% turning speed and 276 min turning circle. Course change time is 21.9/24.7

So course changing time improves, but turning rate goes down? How is that possible? Wouldn't those two be tied together? And what does that mean in practice?

To me it looks like the ship can eventually get a tighter turn-rate if it's broader, but only in long-lasting turns. For quick-turns to dodge torpedoes and avoid colliding with other ships, it's worse... I think. Though again, the course change time really throws me off here.

I believe that course-change time is rudder-shift, so how fast can they change from going port to starboard.

Update on my movement issue: I abondoned my old campaign and restarted and now I can move my ships, both to ports and open sea...

No idea what went wrong the last time.

Edit: Nevermind. In my new campaign I can't move my ships again.

And I have absolutely no clue why. Nothing changed since it works, except for me hitting the end round button twice.

Edit2: And now one round later it works again, though again nothing changed! What is going on here?!?

18 minutes ago, Norbert Sattler said:

Course change time and turning rate are disconnected because the longer ship must make a bigger circle (note the turn radius difference).

The chunky ship is taking advantage of its deceleration to make a tighter turn. It's a smaller circle, and the difference is big enough that it can get through the circle much faster despite it's lower speed. As such, it's on its new course much, much faster, and is uniformly better at dodging torpedoes.

The turning rate issue is an angular speed/frequency issue (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_frequency). My brain is refusing the variables right now, but the illustrative picture is the one of the spinning globe, just flattened into a pancake for our purposes. Essentially, the longer ship is getting through *more* of its turn per second. However, that turn is longer, and therefore the course change time takes much longer, despite the angular speed being faster. It's not really intuitive, and right now I'm honestly struggling to process it into an easier format. Sorry.

Nonetheless, the course change time and turning radius do show that a fatter ship is more more agile. It gets in its new course much quicker and with much less wasted distance.

• Like 1

A new update is available. Please restart Steam to get it.

=========

UPDATE 25/2/2022

- Fixed bug of refit that made components to reset.
- Improved Auto-Refit to handle better the deleting of parts so that it works more consistently.
- Fixed bug of Beam/Draught function which could make length of ship to be modified.
- Fixed issues that could make missions to happen very rarely in campaign.
- Improvements in Campaign and Battle AI.
- Targeting and aiming improvements.
- Smoothened the speed limit of hull so that it does not increase so suddenly.
- Fixed some reported minor issues.

• Like 11