Game-Labs Forum

>>>Patch 1.01/1.02 Feedback<<<

Nick Thomadis

Something is seriously broken with the money income of the AI or their ship cost or something right now.

I just played a 1900 campaign as Germany.

I was just barely able to scrape by with 4 BB, 8 CA, 12 CL and 30 DDs, all of which were built to near enough minimum displacement.

Meanwhile the AI had 8 BB, 15 CA, 32 CL and more then 30 DD and TB each.... all of which had bigger displacement than mine.

I sank a whole lot of ships, but no matter how many I sank in a single battle, the counter of active British fleet ships didn't go down at all, so I opened the save-file and switched myself with the AI and they had roughly the same amount of ships they had active in mothballs! AND on top of that still had a positive income despite only being at 93% transport capacity.

How the hell is that possible? And how are you supposed to win again that?

In the end I lost due to revolution on account of constant blockade from round 1, with my losses being 6 DDs and nothing else (except transports naturally), while the AI lost 6 BBs, a couple of CA and more than 40 DDs... don't remember the TBs and CLs, but quite a lot too.

Money aside, there is also an issue with build times of ships. Out of frustration I deleted all their DD and TB, including the mothballed ones and the very next month they had 4 DDs and 8 TBs ready... despite both ships having more than one month build time... Either the AI is cheating or there are some serious bugs around.

After playing the Beta I haven't switched back to the regular build, but that shouldn't matter, should it? I do get 1.02 Live in the bottom right corner.

Edited by Norbert Sattler

Oh and also the collision avoidance is pretty much completely broken right now.

When two of my ships are coming at each other, the collision "avoidance" tells both ships to turn toward, rather than away from the other ships, pretty much guaranteeing a crash instead of preventing it. Or even better they do manage to avoid the collision, but then sail parallel in a stright line at 5 knots.

And sometimes the function just gets outright stuck with ships going in circles even if the ship they just had a collision with is already multiple kilometers away.

14 minutes ago, Iuvenalis said:

So I'm not sure how the AI shipbuilding was affected by some of the changes but I got matched up against this terrifying bad boy:

image.thumb.png.77bc291770ff27ff0f06e6a9b302e625.png

Did you play a custom battle? Did you press any button during battle load? There is a known problem of auto-design interruption in some occasions.

30 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Did you play a custom battle? Did you press any button during battle load? There is a known problem of auto-design interruption in some occasions.

Ah, It was a custom battle and I may have jumped to another screen temporarily when loading. I'll be cautious to not do that and will report it if I see it happen again when I have not changed screens/pressed anything, Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Iuvenalis said:

Ah, It was a custom battle and I may have jumped to another screen temporarily when loading. I'll be cautious to not do that and will report it if I see it happen again when I have not changed screens/pressed anything, Thanks!

Yes, unfortunately it is a bug, but we will fix that too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

TpgVVT8.png

Enemy ship was so committed to dereliction of duty they crossed over into the shadow realm to try to escape their responsibilities
Also,
Please cut it out with the stern-chasing bulls*** 
I think I speak for a fair few folks when I say that I'd be better for the AI to fight to the death with suicidal determination
Might not be wholly realistic, but it'd be better than more of these

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SodaBit said:

I think I speak for a fair few folks when I say that I'd be better for the AI to fight to the death with suicidal determination
Might not be wholly realistic, but it'd be better than more of these

To be honest in 1890 it is the best way to fight so this may be the best way. Have AI be willing to engage on range that allows 20-30% of chance to hit, and ram if cannot penetrate and call it Mad Max mode :) in campaign setings :)

• Like 1

So, about this update...

So far, I tested the new french hulls in 1890. These hulls are excellent! I designed historically accurate ships, so the main armament were only 2*1 305 mm guns. I have to say that two main guns were absolutely enough in most of the situation. They are fairly accurate for 1890s and makes a lot of damage. The secondaries are also good on Ironclad hull 1-3. The french battleship hull 1 (1890) was a bit challenging. I tried to design a competitive ship with 2*2 305 mm main guns because the secondary arsenal is not as good as on the ironclads. The firing arcs are not great, the 76 mm guns aren't doing that much damage and showing a broadside to the enemy is dangerous in close range. The aft main gun firing arc is also not the best, but it is okey for a pre-dreadnought. Overall I have to say, that these new hulls are excellent for starting a campaign with France in the future. These hulls have great potential. Thanks for the dev team for giving us these ironclad hulls!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Marshall99 said:

So, about this update...

So far, I tested the new french hulls in 1890. These hulls are excellent! I designed historically accurate ships, so the main armament were only 2*1 305 mm guns. I have to say that two main guns were absolutely enough in most of the situation. They are fairly accurate for 1890s and makes a lot of damage. The secondaries are also good on Ironclad hull 1-3. The french battleship hull 1 (1890) was a bit challenging. I tried to design a competitive ship with 2*2 305 mm main guns because the secondary arsenal is not as good as on the ironclads. The firing arcs are not great, the 76 mm guns aren't doing that much damage and showing a broadside to the enemy is dangerous in close range. The aft main gun firing arc is also not the best, but it is okey for a pre-dreadnought. Overall I have to say, that these new hulls are excellent for starting a campaign with France in the future. These hulls have great potential. Thanks for the dev team for giving us these ironclad hulls!

I wonder if the french will be next to add to the campaign (personally I would like to add Russia then as well)

Would make sense, but then again they also added Japanese hulls to the campaign patch even thou I suspect that japan will be one of the last nations to join.

17 minutes ago, SiWi said:

I wonder if the french will be next to add to the campaign (personally I would like to add Russia then as well)

Would make sense, but then again they also added Japanese hulls to the campaign patch even thou I suspect that japan will be one of the last nations to join.

I think it is possible that they will add France to the campaign, because they gave us lots of starter hulls. 

1 hour ago, DieHard_BR said:

Also from geo perspective France is already there

thou I wonder if the Dev's don first expand the map itself and add the Colonys of UK and germany to test other mechanism before adding new nations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SiWi said:

thou I wonder if the Dev's don first expand the map itself and add the Colonys of UK and germany to test other mechanism before adding new nations.

They should add actual patrol sectors and task forces before expanding to include a third nation. Get the mechanics working with two first, then grow.

• Like 1

Little update on my previous issue further up the page:

I started another 1900 campaign as Germany yesterday, this time building at maximum displacement instead of near minimum. Despite having the same number of BB, CA and CL and only fewer DDs, and all of those ships being considerably bigger and more costly, I had more than 2 million positive income, instead of just barely staying afloat the first round.

The Brits didn't have an overwhelming number of ships that immediately put me under blockade in round 2 and didn't immediately start to build up a stockpile of mothballed ships that instantly replaced any of their losses.

And when I started to sink their ships left and right, they asked for peace before the second year was over, despite the VP difference between them and me was less than in my pervious campaign.

Now for the AI giving up so easy I guess they might take the difference in ship numbers and/or existing blockades or the enemy's unrest level into account so that's fine, but how comes I suddenly had so much more money and the AI so much less? Is the base income randomized? Or was my previous campaign really just bugged hard in some way or another?

To go from a no-win scenario directly into a walk in the park seems rather baffling.

Oh just in case anyone's wondering, both campaigns were started in standard difficulty, so it's not an issue of the hard mode.

Edited by Norbert Sattler

The budget and starting cash is randomized somewhat between each new campaign. Sometimes you can barely operate 5 ships, other times you can have all sliders up to 100% and still operate a full fleet. The peace treaty offer can be kinda random, but when both sides have somewhat low victory points, even a small difference can lead to teh AI offering peace. Sometimes the AI admiral will do a bad job of managing funds and sometimes that can lead to campaign end.

It's definitely a work in progress, but this way at least we have a campaign in some form.

The (hilariously absurd) last stand of the Zulu against my five German Large Torpedo Boats in 1910 campaign:

Zulu1.thumb.jpg.fcc0e709768d1f7dac1bf8f804e5d935.jpg

Zulu eats 5x 18-inch torpedoes from two separate volleys.  Flotation falls low...then starts rising again...stabilizing at 17%.

Zulu2.thumb.jpg.dedf14592883f43e508b7948ceb1e32d.jpg

Two minutes later, flotation still stable at 17%.  Dodge 3 more torpedoes from multiple bearings at close range?  She doesn't mind if she does...

Zulu3.thumb.jpg.dd8913a2581186b75ef1c260a85f5a88.jpg

One minute later...I guess she needs two more torpedoes...to get her to 1% flotation...and again stabilized there while she continues to fight and turn in place.

Zulu4.thumb.jpg.4d170a14e80136f85e19057beaaefcbb.jpg

Let's approach a bit more slowly to try and get some torpedoes into her miraculous bow flotation reserve.  Surely she is just a floating wreck and really I am just removing the now detached bow as a navigation hazard from the sea as her few remaining crew jump ship?  Nope! Still fighting and spinning away basically in place.  All the damage seen above to my boat except for one flooding furthest toward the stern dealt by Zulu over the course of a minute or two.

Zulu5.thumb.jpg.5368b8d9be75fc6487d1345288cdeea7.jpg

Two more torpedoes and...not an immediate sinking, but a flash fire in, presumably, flooded magazines!

Zulu6.thumb.jpg.c8c673d0b0c64099bbd0029f07719ff6.jpg

Fire continues to spread forward through what should be a nonexistent two-thirds of the ship and with one more flash fire the final 1% is gone and we fade to black on the not-so-true-to-life story of the Zulu.

The real HMS Zulu after a single mine strike on her stern:

image.jpeg.143cb3400c4adce643df368dfb8dfd89.jpeg

HMS Nubian after her bow was removed by a single German torpedo at the Battle of Dover Strait:

image.jpeg.e760b0a2190baa50ac7daa5d97e8af55.jpeg

Later they were joined together to create HMS Zubian.

Edited by akd
  • Like 3

Main turrets clip trough towers, effectively having a 360º turn. That needs to be fixed asap.

This is not properly a bug, but needs to be fixed: Priority research is very poorly designed. You can only use one of them. If you use all three, you only get negigible inprovements in the researchs you select, at the cost of making the rest of the researchs double (or more) their times. Even if you use only one, the penalties you get to the rest are much bigger than the benefit you get, thus making the whole system hardly worth.

Edited by The PC Collector
Providing additional feedback
  • Like 6

There's this little issue when I can't install a turret or gun in it's mounting point because it's close to a some part which doesn't allow this gun to rotate 360 degrees, well, why won't it rotate some 270 degrees or 180 then if it can shoot just fine even with limited arc?

French battleship hulls are nice addition!  Slight minus is that there are only 2 designs for main/secondary towers - all the rest are scaled up/down versions. French cruisers would need their own distinctive towers then. Also, wish larger guns/turrets could be placed amidships at sides - so far largest secondary (203mm) is still not the largest (274mm) they had back then, while 274mm turret in Main Side Guns isn't available.

Really enjoying the option to design enemy ships for Custom Battles, as well as facing already previously own-designed ships if switching by country/year.

Edited by Captain Meow

1 hour ago, Captain Meow said:

There's this little issue when I can't install a turret or gun in it's mounting point because it's close to a some part which doesn't allow this gun to rotate 360 degrees, well, why won't it rotate some 270 degrees or 180 then if it can shoot just fine even with limited arc?

You can sometimes get away with this by using "R" and "T" to rotate the gun / turret before placing, for example:

67716926_LordNelsonstyle.thumb.jpg.a7e6fd292a27b3cfe7b4fc510b7903ca.jpg

But I agree that if a mounting point only offers a more limited arc, the gun / turret should automatically rotate to fit.

Edited by akd

@Nick Thomadis

In the German 1940 campaign the modern BB II hull only has the following options of main tower:

- Modern tower I, II and III

This limits the size of main gun you can fit, only 16'' or below.

But the strange part is that you have the following options of secondary main tower

- Modern sec I, II and III

- Advanced tower sec with Funnel I, II and III 

Bottom line if I want to use larger then 16'' guns i can only use the modern BB I hull.  Note that 17'' only fit on Modern tower V

Just trying to understand if this is the correct approach/usage of hulls in the 1940 campaign

Cheers

46 minutes ago, Captain Meow said:

No, what I meant was this thing (pic 3):

- it just doesn't let me install a deck gun in it's mounting point because it's rotation area slightly overlaps with another part (lifeboat/davit of main tower part).

Ah yes.  Noted previously, but several of the new French towers:

1. Don't have the lifeboats / davits removed if you try and mount them on the hull in a position where the lifeboats / davits clip with existing hull structure (other towers remove them automatically), thus forcing you to place them very far forward.

2. Don't remove the lifeboats / davits if you try to place an object on the hull or superstructure that would interfere with them after the tower is mounted, contrary to typical functionality where they are just automatically deleted.

Edited by akd