Game-Labs Forum

I saw a loads of vids of this game, following The History Guy channel on YT. And came to such ideas:

1. Hull form customization. In game you got bolted on casemate deck and just can't do a flush-deck ship. Which is wrong for such classes like - BB, CA/CL, DD's. Also casemate placement ad adding more casemates decks and even casemate forming would be nice to have.

2. Superstructures customization. In game you got pre-builds, where you just can't effectively use space what was crucial in real life. I hope later in Beta that would change and we got option of building superstructure by our self an chose masts on it. Atm in game "yamato-tower" is top and actually I can't change british, american, german, french or either designs.

3. Machinery/Propulsion placing. It's another "stone" that hits a ship customization due misplacement of turrets for some designs. Btw there is an machinery that's forgotten, and I talking about Steam Turbine-Electric Gear/Propulsion. That actually save weight and make more rapid acceleration like Geared Steam Turbines. 

4. Turrets Customization. We all know that French have "quads" of 380mm guns, and not just these. I suggest that all turrets must be customized, and stats be calculated during turret design(spread, weight, turning speed, accuracy, loading speed/ROF)

5. Torpedo Tubes Customization, and torpedo ammunition customization. ATM we got three types of torpedo propulsion instead of four. We can't chose warhead weight, fuel amount and etc., to get best bang-per-buck of torpedo. That actually makes TB/DD performance poor in game. 

6. Armor placement and design scheme customization. ATM we just level armors by types, thickness but not by where and how it's placed. Which gives not a relevant protection(overprotection) and does not save weight, and some way doesn't protect well. Literally you can't go "all or nothing" scheme.

7 Would UA-D be an MMO Strategy/Sim? It's more the question. I hope yes, and we got finally the Game where you can build your Fleet/Squadron, cooperate with players against other players. 

Edited by sRuLe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sRuLe said:

These aren’t the stereotypical ship types you know. Many ships into the 1920s were designed with casemated secondaries. And the CA is actually Armored Cruiser and not. Heavy Cruiser of the Treaty era. And the CL is a protected cruiser not a light cruiser. 

3 hours ago, sRuLe said:

This I agree with we need a lot more freedom here.

3 hours ago, sRuLe said:

Placement of machinery is definitely lacking.

Also you got Turbo-Eletric propulsion wrong, it’s roughly 10% heavier than geared turbines. Though it has significant advantages in compartmentalization, and ease of manufacturing for a developing nation, and as you mentioned you have all the power now so you can slam reverse without having to bring steam down and up again. One of the US’s Turbo-Eletric battleships actually avoided 2 collisions in 5-10 minutes as the ship inform of them pulled a stupid and turned into their path. So they slammed reverse to avoid, then had to slam full ahead to avoid the ship behind them with the more traditional steam propulsion running into them. 

3 hours ago, sRuLe said:

Been saying this since day one turrets and guns should be split, you can have a high quality gun on an absolute turd of a mount.

3 hours ago, sRuLe said:

There’s actually a lot more than four torpedo propulsion types. Steam, Electric, Combustion with stored air, O2 enhanced combustion, and obviously there should be speed settings. So at least 5 types of propulsion with at least 3 speed/range settings. Also torpedos don’t spread enough right now we should be able to pick torpedo spread.

3 hours ago, sRuLe said:

Once again preaching to the quire we’ve been asking for this repeatedly. I suggest you go read all the threads to see what’s already been asked for.

3 hours ago, sRuLe said:

It’s not, it’s intended as a single player game like Rule The Waves first and foremost.

• Like 3

Welcome to the game. Quite a bit is coming soon in terms of custom options but this game is in Alpha 2 and hasn't been available for more than a month yet. Much of the more major work is going into finishing then campaign and bug squashing atm. More options will come in time just give it that time. 

• Like 1

Lots of wishable things there but i don't see the priority; Game should focus first on sailing and gunnery mechanics and optimizing the ship design stuff (which is rather advanced and can also elvove by simply adding more diversity rather easily, in a way which would not impact the complexity for the AI game designer or for simulating the behaviour of the components. 

Sorting that first, then go for alpha campaign (the crux of the game)  while improving designer would make more sense than increasing complexity then trying to make the game work.

Edited by sarrumac
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Absolute0CA said:

These aren’t the stereotypical ship types you know. Many ships into the 1920s were designed with casemated secondaries. And the CA is actually Armored Cruiser and not. Heavy Cruiser of the Treaty era. And the CL is a protected cruiser not a light cruiser. 

I know these things but... just take a look on SMS Mackensen or Erzatz Yorck design, or HMS Hood design. Both launched in 1916-1917. For example Izmail/Navarin class russian superdreadnoughts are designed with double casemate decks. And where it's in a game... and I not talking about MN Normandie. It's just "ere we go"... any way need a hull-form designer and especially bow-form presets to chose from.

Placement of machinery is definitely lacking.

Also you got Turbo-Eletric propulsion wrong, it’s roughly 10% heavier than geared turbines. Though it has significant advantages in compartmentalization, and ease of manufacturing for a developing nation, and as you mentioned you have all the power now so you can slam reverse without having to bring steam down and up again. One of the US’s Turbo-Eletric battleships actually avoided 2 collisions in 5-10 minutes as the ship inform of them pulled a stupid and turned into their path. So they slammed reverse to avoid, then had to slam full ahead to avoid the ship behind them with the more traditional steam propulsion running into them. 

Exactly, just one example... SS Normandie fourth times Blue Ribbon Champion. Have an Steam-Turbine Electric Propulsion.

There’s actually a lot more than four torpedo propulsion types. Steam, Electric, Combustion with stored air, O2 enhanced combustion, and obviously there should be speed settings. So at least 5 types of propulsion with at least 3 speed/range settings. Also torpedos don’t spread enough right now we should be able to pick torpedo spread.

Plus to that O2+Peroxide Hydrogen... I just mentioned widely used ones. Totally agree with you.

Once again preaching to the quire we’ve been asking for this repeatedly. I suggest you go read all the threads to see what’s already been asked for.

As many same opinions as more chance to knock that door off the hinges)

It’s not, it’s intended as a single player game like Rule The Waves first and foremost.

Very debatable. Cause as more players, as better. And there is just no such games in MMO section. Just none at all. Just image coop with your friends into great battle with your fleets against other players with their fleets... to prove that you are better commander and designer. Isn't that sounds tasty?

Edited by sRuLe

6 hours ago, Fess21 said:

Welcome to the game. Quite a bit is coming soon in terms of custom options but this game is in Alpha 2 and hasn't been available for more than a month yet. Much of the more major work is going into finishing then campaign and bug squashing atm. More options will come in time just give it that time. 

I just try to give'em direction also)))

4 hours ago, sarrumac said:

Game should focus first on sailing and gunnery mechanics

About sailing... lads, one question: - Why in game we always have a Rough Sea? Did you see those waves? It's a stormy weather out there.

Gun mech atm is kind a fine, just need some tuning a bit. If I might not right tell me more about situation overall.

optimizing the ship design stuff (which is rather advanced and can also elvove by simply adding more diversity rather easily, in a way which would not impact the complexity for the AI game designer or for simulating the behaviour of the components. 

Depends how you program your AI. I've saw on one vid on YT where some guy made an couple CA to beat the BC, and in both goes AI created BC that beat a life out of player CA's)

Sorting that first, then go for alpha campaign (the crux of the game)  while improving designer would make more sense than increasing complexity then trying to make the game work

What I suggested are not complicated, not for players, nor for AI.

I mostly understand you about "let's make that thing works first" but also I think that direction must be given where the whole project must be going. Cause, for example I can't build such DD like French MN Le Fantasque or IJN Shimakaze during a lack of customization. Just can't, literally. Sorry but that is bare naked fact about the game at a moment.

Edited by sRuLe

3 hours ago, sRuLe said:

)

Very debatable. Cause as more players, as better. And there is just no such games in MMO section. Just none at all. Just image coop with your friends into great battle with your fleets against other players with their fleets... to prove that you are better commander and designer. Isn't that sounds tasty?

Not really. Sick and tired of mmo. We have already had people play the unfished campaign. They also already said its a single player game. multiplayer might be looked into but not anywhere near important right now.

3 hours ago, DarkTerren said:

Not really. Sick and tired of mmo. We have already had people play the unfished campaign. They also already said its a single player game. multiplayer might be looked into but not anywhere near important right now.

Might be just add an Multiplayer Option.

5 hours ago, Lobokai said:

@sRuLe I see some of your points, but they push into some anachronistic areas for a game called UA:Dreadnoughts... I'm hoping we stay pre-Washington Treaty-esq 

I would prefer both, otherwise the lack of customisation for the game becomes incredibly dull fast. Also allows you to emtionally invest your self in the game more.

That sort of thing would be fine for the Navy Historics mode i preposed and also when doing a campaign to select either historic or non-historic.

Barring choices in a game is always a bad thing unless, the devs can't do it for whatever reason and/or it wouldn't make sense or causes to many problems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Barring choices in a game is always a bad thing unless, the devs can't do it for whatever reason and/or it wouldn't make sense or causes to many problems.

I guess, but there has to been a line somewhere (surely nuclear subs aren't something you'd want) and I'd rather have a game that feels grounded in its era not trying to spread itself so far.  Look at the variety of ships, just in the cruiser class, in the Royal Navy alone that exist from the CA Blake class  to Admiral class BCs!  HMS Blenheim and Hood could not be much more different... richly exploring that path of development is far more attractive to me than being able to take some "not-Yamato" against a coal fired protected cruiser.  There's enough WW2 naval flotsum and jetsum out there... I hope to see something in UA:D that forges it own distinct feel

Edited by Lobokai
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lobokai said:

I guess, but there has to been a line somewhere (surely nuclear subs aren't something you'd want) and I'd rather have a game that feels grounded in its era not trying to spread itself so far.  Look at the variety of ships, just in the cruiser class, in the Royal Navy alone that exist from the CA Blake class  to Admiral class BCs!  HMS Blenheim and Hood could not be much more different... richly exploring that path of development is far more attractive to me than being able to take some "not-Yamato" against a coal fired protected cruiser.  There's enough WW2 naval flotsum and jetsum out there... I hope to see something in UA:D that forges it own distinct feel

The game is going from 1890-1940 this has been established. Regardless peeps should still have a choice regardless (i want to do both historical and non-historical since im a fan of both).

Obviously reasonable things, no nuclear powered weaps on missles and/or rockets of anykind (maybe CV's but they were very questionable in general).

Thats why i think you should have the naval academy for non historical reasons and as a tutorial. And my historical idea of Admirals College for historical events, battles and locations featuring the actual ships that fought in those events (would be awesome to see and play).

subs will only be a non-controllable mechanic, i would be surprised if it goes beyond that. options for both parties should exist after all it is a singleplayer game so i see no reason not too after all.

but yeah i agree with what you say anyways.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Lobokai said:

@sRuLe I see some of your points, but they push into some anachronistic areas for a game called UA:Dreadnoughts... I'm hoping we stay pre-Washington Treaty-esq 

You mean Tillman vs Tillman? Nobody asking for restrictions, just for smarter displacement use, that's all. Btw, smart displacement allow you to throw against one Tillmans Behemoth two or more well protected and well armed ships to simple outgun and outprotect such "Yamatolike". Any way on same 100k tons of displacement you can build a swarm of Torpwhores and simply turn surrounding waters into a pond full of sharks. But that is much easier to do with more customization. Believe me you can build a DD/TB with 16-24 torpedoes in a single salvo that can have an speed reaching 42-44 knots and few gun mounts.

The extra custom placings and freedom to move engine place/towers/ect you can make the ship more stable and fix some weight off sets.

15 hours ago, sRuLe said:

You mean Tillman vs Tillman? Nobody asking for restrictions, just for smarter displacement use, that's all. Btw, smart displacement allow you to throw against one Tillmans Behemoth two or more well protected and well armed ships to simple outgun and outprotect such "Yamatolike". Any way on same 100k tons of displacement you can build a swarm of Torpwhores and simply turn surrounding waters into a pond full of sharks. But that is much easier to do with more customization. Believe me you can build a DD/TB with 16-24 torpedoes in a single salvo that can have an speed reaching 42-44 knots and few gun mounts.

How large would that DD/TB be. Holy cow that would be heavy little ships(?)
Too much freedom is bit too much there should be limitations of what kind of monstrosities you can make.
Perhaps 50% more displacement leeway for all classes to allow creating interesting concepts but still be.... a ship 

7 hours ago, Illya von Einzbern said:

How large would that DD/TB be. Holy cow that would be heavy little ships(?

Around 4200 long tons full displacement to carry an two geared ST 75k shp each easely reaching 40-42 knots, 2x2 or x3 from 5" up to 139-140mm guns, and 4x5 or x6 tubes Torpedo Launchers with Type 93 610mm mod 2/3 torpedoes. And you still got place to squeeze there 4x4 40mm bofors, radar, sonar and two Hedgehogs 🎃

Too much freedom is bit too much there should be limitations of what kind of monstrosities you can make.

Just smart placement of modules in a displacement... nothing monstrous.

Perhaps 50% more displacement leeway for all classes to allow creating interesting concepts but still be.... a ship 

We didn't touch submarines yet 🎃 That will be real fun. Kai-Dai X with 8-10 Type 93 torpedoes fore and 4-6 aft kekekeke 🎃

Edited by sRuLe

Submarines rarely made into ship on ship naval battles in real life, as they simply was too slow and mostly only saw action pre-battle or after, which is why I suspect they'll be more an afterthought by the devs than being included into ones battlefleets.