Game-Labs Forum

Tie woods used in ship build with guns weight

There shouldn't be fast and slow woods at all. Those should be cheap and expensive (both material and labour). The cheap woods should start to rot earlier ( maybe one week for fir), the ship become shabby then. If you have a shabby ship, you have to refit it again with some mats and labour in a shipyard. The best woods will take several weeks before they start to rot.

This would make it less interesting to have 30 ships in port.

In the extrem a ship might become "very shabby" and after some time sink in port if not refitted.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sea Archer said:

There shouldn't be fast and slow woods at all. Those should be cheap and expensive (both material and labour). The cheap woods should start to rot earlier ( maybe one week for fir), the ship become shabby then. If you have a shabby ship, you have to refit it again with some mats and labour in a shipyard. The best woods will take several weeks before they start to rot.

In the extrem a ship might become "very shabby" and after some time sink in port if not refitted.

nah... some ships do 50 years life span  (just by repairing in dock) and not 4 weeks.

5 minutes ago, Sea Archer said:

Or you have to pay a maintenance fee, to prevent all your ships to sink if you disconnect from the game during several weeks for some IRL reason.

1 minute ago, Thonys said:

nah... some ships do 50 years life span  (just by repairing in dock) and not 4 weeks.

Right, but regular refit is necessary. My suggestion is thst when you refit the ship, it will be in its original status. 

Just upkeeping 20+ ships should be expensive.

2 minutes ago, Sea Archer said:

Right, but regular refit is necessary. My suggestion is thst when you refit the ship, it will be in its original status. 

Just upkeeping 20+ ships should be expensive.

you mean... 

a daily upkeep from your ships in docks ?

- i think that is a other subject

but you can put it in suggestions 

Edited by Thonys

well for example when a ship became a fireship all of the guns were removed

so in that particular case there were no guns at all 

just a example how did they use ships and guns  on tactical reason

a fire ships was a fast floater  and drift like a monkey. :)

1465.jpg

fire at the gun holes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fireships_of_the_Royal_Navy

Rebuilt fireships

The earlier fireships Griffin and Speedwell of 1690 were rebuilt between 1700–3. The Speedwell was broken up to be rebuilt as a sixth rate in 1715, leaving the Griffin as the only remaining fireship in the navy by that point.The Phoenix of 1694 was rebuilt in 1709, but was reclassified as a sixth rate in 1711. These three vessels became the last purpose-built fireships in the navy until the 1780s, though numbers of vessels were taken up and converted throughout the eighteenth century.

Speedwell (rebuilt and launched in 1702)

Griffin (rebuilt and launched in 1702)

Phoenix (rebuilt and launched in 1709)

I see a update :  Fireships coming to the game.( and smoke all around me , like fog on the river in the early morning.....and it smells like .....sulfur.   )

Edited by Thonys

4 hours ago, Sea Archer said:

I would prefer to have ships close to their historical counterparts. A ship is designed to displace a certain amount of water. It is all about balancing the center of gravity and the buoyany + wind forces. The ship will displace the same amount of water no matter the wood it is made of. This will lead to the same speed for all vessels.

To incease the speed, you have to reduce water displacement by removing ballast (or other weight). This will increase heeling and you should reduce weight above the waterline, resulting in less or smaller guns.

Historically the wood type may change the ability to bounce shots, lighter wood may be more damaged, but were usually chosen for costs and availability. 

Therefore I propose to have speed of ships only depending on weight (cargo + ballast). So you should be able to choose your ballast, too.

A light ship with heavy guns should heel a lot and capsize at some point, while the heavy and slow ship should be stable and upright in the water.

The wood type should only influence the resistance against enemy shots.

+1

imo port bonuses and upg are supposed to be the only way to increase your ship speed.

probably a look on wood production will be needed but will give fun and competitive battle to all of us, cause ship will be more balanced.

Edited by SantaRoja
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thonys said:

you mean... 

a daily upkeep from your ships in docks ?

- i think that is a other subject

but you can put it in suggestions 

Not daily, depending on the wood type once every week or once every six weeks. 

Fir every week, life oak every six weeks (we can discuss that, just for example). And then a refit in a port with a shipyard to turn it from shabby or very shabby to the normal status. When shabby the performance is reduced.

Sinking in port should on occur after half a year or so without refit.