Game-Labs Forum

Water simulation

Wilful

Thank you OP for posting, very interesting.

While the video showed the "state of the art" and what could be done, there is likely no reason that the full-on simulation with 20,000 sensors needs to be implemented in Naval Action, or any game in fact, to get better ocean environment. 

First off, that is a larger ship in the video than appears in Naval Action, so I'm sure the number sensors would be reduced by perhaps half for that reason alone.  And just guessing that the particle/wave physics can be scaled-back for in-game performance of our hardware as well.  It wouldn't be an all or nothing situation as some of you critics portray.

The video was meant to WOW people, much like concept cars at autoshows where the reality of production 'style' is slightly less, but more pragmatic .

Wow what was a great video. I wouldent mind that kind of simulation, then the actual sailing from A to B will be very intresting.

But I can also understand that this kind of realism will be little too much for the game and many gamers unfortunately

Kudos for an amazing project. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this game.

One of my collegues from mmorpg.pl suggested you should see this water simulation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y-J1nyP9Y0

I think it would be awesome to see something similar implemented as the storm mechanics, any thoughts or comments?

Imagine playing a trafalgar in that last storm :P

Great video and marketing advert for the company.

As mentioned above though, we have little (By comparison) gaming machines not a mainframe designed to aid in the design of a ships hull, or test real sailing characteristics.  One day though ^^

Thank you OP for posting, very interesting.

While the video showed the "state of the art" and what could be done, there is likely no reason that the full-on simulation with 20,000 sensors needs to be implemented in Naval Action, or any game in fact, to get better ocean environment. 

First off, that is a larger ship in the video than appears in Naval Action, so I'm sure the number sensors would be reduced by perhaps half for that reason alone.  And just guessing that the particle/wave physics can be scaled-back for in-game performance of our hardware as well.  It wouldn't be an all or nothing situation as some of you critics portray.

The video was meant to WOW people, much like concept cars at autoshows where the reality of production 'style' is slightly less, but more pragmatic .

Ehhh, it really doesn't work like that.

First off, I don't think these guys give out their code like fresh burgers. And mind you, you still gotta pay for fresh burgers.

Second point, it's not like you flip a switch and hey! It's still a good sim and works now for game devs! Nope, you decrease iterations too much, the whole thing collapses. There are dozen of simulation and raytracing techniques that default to 32 iterations and you don't see them plopped like that into a game with the slider moved down to 4x or 2x. Because they stop working, the result is so bad looking and wonky, it's not worth showing in a 1998' game, not to mention STILL tanks the FPS.

And finally, third point. Lower the amount of sensors and particles by half. You end up with FIVE TIMES the simulation intensity, and this is with just 10 ships far away from each other. Yeaaaah...

• Like 1

While that simulation was fantastic and something like this will come our way in a few years (just look at games now compared to 20 years ago)... we have some very good mechanics already.    Our storm fights are amazing (but dang if I don't spend too much time shooting fish!).

the simulation was good. the storm mechanic that are already implemented into the game are pretty amazing..though in my little ship i spend most of my time sniping bigger ships and watching their cannon shots sail overhead!! : P 

Ehhh, it really doesn't work like that.

First off, I don't think these guys give out their code like fresh burgers. And mind you, you still gotta pay for fresh burgers.

Second point, it's not like you flip a switch and hey! It's still a good sim and works now for game devs! Nope, you decrease iterations too much, the whole thing collapses. There are dozen of simulation and raytracing techniques that default to 32 iterations and you don't see them plopped like that into a game with the slider moved down to 4x or 2x. Because they stop working, the result is so bad looking and wonky, it's not worth showing in a 1998' game, not to mention STILL tanks the FPS.

And finally, third point. Lower the amount of sensors and particles by half. You end up with FIVE TIMES the simulation intensity, and this is with just 10 ships far away from each other. Yeaaaah...

To maybe add a more comprehendible example for all the non IT non math non physics folks. Think if a way to simulate a circle with n steps. Put n to 3 and you will get triangle, not very circle like, is it? Now expand the conept to a set of point constantly in motion. The more precision you put in the calculation heavy it gets. Exponentially. And its not like you move the slider to the middle you get half ugly half precise. You ll get most likely a 3/4 ugly 1/4 precise goo for an ocean.

• Like 1