Game-Labs Forum

Development plans Winter - Spring 2015

For those that don't read the Dev BLOGs...

Hello Captains.

Here are our development plans for this winter and spring: Jan-May 2015. 

1. New ship models

The following list of vessels will be delivered for testing by the end of Spring. Some ships might get delayed by storms.

• Mercury brig
  • La belle poule
  • Ingermanland
  • La Renomme
  • Privateer Schooner (based on Lynx - with more guns)
  • Brig Navy Edition (based on Brig - with more guns)
  • HMS Pickle
  • 28 gun light frigate
  • Gunboat

2. Open world distance and speeds testing

3. Ship customization

• Ship parameters randomization
  • Simple ship upgrades
  • Simple loot
  • Simple crafting

4. Gameplay

• Updated damage model 4.0
  • Improved sailing of for-and-aft rigs
  • Better turning and rudder mechanics
  • Commander tablet
  • New game types: Operations gameplay – 24 hours large battle map with respawns, and shore defences

5. Other improvements

• Improved chat
  • Manual
  • Soft launch of early access on steam

With your pre-orders we are moving significantly faster. Thank you for the continued support and feedback you are providing us with. 

Special thanks to all community correspondents, streamers and youtube content makers, who are making awesome videos about our game.

• Soft launch of early access on steam. can't wait.

Yeah I am in the same boat so to speak hehe.

I tend to impulse buy games like these and steam makes the easy.  Unfortunately, the wait till Friday to get a key thing kind of turns me off.  Right now for example, I have a strong desire to buy and play this weekend but since it is already late in the day on Friday, I would have to wait for 7 days for my key :( 

Combat will be instanced, not a lot of details are yet available.

The sailing in the open world will, for now, be confined to the Caribbean. The currently available area to sail in for the alpha stage is 16,000,000 km² (all of the Caribbean and then some). Yet, this should not be interpreted as 'just short distances', because it is a lot of sea and it will take some time before you have crossed the whole area.

ifczzl.jpg

We are not sure where the actual borders are, or even of the width nor height ratio of the map; this example is 5000 × 3200 km (3,107 × 1,988 miles or 2,700 × 1,728 nautical miles).

~Brigand

• Like 1

Combat will be instanced, not a lot of details are yet available.

The sailing in the open world will, for now, be confined to the Caribbean. The currently available area to sail in for the alpha stage is 16,000,000 km² (all of the Caribbean and then some). Yet, this should not be interpreted as 'just short distances', because it takes is a lot of sea and it will take some time before you crossed the whole area.

ifczzl.jpg

We are not sure where the actual borders are, or even of the width nor height ratio of the map; this example is 5000 × 3200 km (3,107 × 1,988 miles or 2,700 × 1,728 nautical miles).

~Brigand

If it is a 4,000km x 4000km box it will take 14 hours to sail across the map edge in one of the faster ships if you have good wind and take the 150kn speed shown in the dev pictures.  To sail across diagonally, it would take about 20 hours.

The thing you can do with procedurally generated content is near infinite. There is a tech demo from 2010, which shows of the a star galaxy, where everything from stars to individual pebbles in dust rings around planets 'exist'.

~Brigand