Game-Labs Forum

Battles

Vizzini

I know plenty has changed in my absence, much looks good, tutorial and ui etc

but please , can somebody tell me if we are able to tell whether a battle is Player vs AI or Player vs Player. I play on the PVP server and don't really want to PVE on it if I have a choice. If we are not able to .. please can somebody tell me why ?

Also, the ship information page which lists it's attributes ( looking great ) is missing the draft or at least an indication whether it will be able to enter a shallow port or not ...

hope that makes sense and  I have tried searching for an answer, the internet is awash with out of date info

• Like 2

There is no definitive way. I would prefer if you could tell too, but it would get complicated if there were a mix, or if battle had started as a player v ai but players had then joined ai side. You can often do a pretty good job of deducing it. Most important thing to know is that the nation given first was the one that tagged. So if you see a battle in open world then the first flag shown MUST have had at least one player (of course it is possible he is now sunk or has left the battle). Eg. Pirate v GB (the original tag must have been made by a player pirate). This will all change when aggressive AI are introduced so will become even more difficult then. 

No reason why we should not be able to tell if a battle is PvE or PvP. Battle's are instanced cause the game can't handle open world battles but instances should not be treated as if they are in some other dimension... they should be instances only as far as they really need to be. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

The tendacy to withhold information from players is the worse I've seen.

You ain't seen much then have you.

3 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

No one is more interested in a battle if they can't see what type it is from OW, it doesn't make up for lack of real surprise.

I am.

5 hours ago, Vizzini said:

I just want to be able to go to the aid of my Nation when they call for help ... not click the wrong battle on the PVP server and find myself against AI . If i wanted that I would be on the PVE server

I have an easy fix for that, click on the right one. When nation call for help they should inform what ships are involved, easy to figure out which battle.

Don't see the problem to be honest.

Edited by Castañon del Rey

36 minutes ago, Castañon del Rey said:

I have an easy fix for that, click on the right one. When nation call for help they should inform what ships are involved, easy to figure out which battle.

Don't see the problem to be honest.

That's sounds like a lot of player involvement for a mechanic that should already be in place. Chat is already flooded as it is, just give people the damn info when they click the cross swords. You're literally right there in front of the battle practically speaking, (if you're making even the slightest attempt to bridge the gap between instances, which you should these aren't different worlds just a limitation on the engine that should be worked as if there was none in the first place)

It's the same thing not letting people inspect a ship before boarding it for wood types, what's the point? To be obtuse and make players jump through hoops that you can't explain for because it wouldn't make sense. (you can only see the wood type if you put your flag on the ship, otherwise 100 men looking over the ship can't tell what upgrades or wood it's made of) 
pure silliness. Developer should stop being so obsessed with making the game obscure, it's fake af and your not doing the players any favors withholding key information for battles.

1 hour ago, Castañon del Rey said:

You ain't seen much then have you.

I am.

How often do you put a blindfold on to give youself more challenge? When I look at a battle, I can see the cross swords therefore by way of bridging OW to Battle instance which is what you should be doing because they're suppose to be tied together. you can see types of ships/numbers easily.

Just because you prefer to be blind doesn't mean everyone else does.

Edited by Slim McSauce

A game claims to be historical and realistic, yet you do not know what is going on in battle which is next to you. 

Same goes with OW fleets. 

May be scout option next to battle, you stay 30 seconds not moving, the ships inside revealed to you. You stay in tag circle of any fleet for 10 seconds, you can see the ship types. 

What is the spyglass for? Why can not we see information about battles, fleets, towns with spy glass? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

How often do you put a blindfold on to give youself more challenge? When I look at a battle, I can see the cross swords therefore by way of bridging OW to Battle instance which is what you should be doing because they're suppose to be tied together. you can see types of ships/numbers easily.

Just because you prefer to be blind doesn't mean everyone else does.

I don't prefer to be blind, I just said that I like it how it is. You are the one who always refer your own opinions to be everyone's opinion.

1 hour ago, AeRoTR said:

What is the spyglass for? Why can not we see information about battles, fleets, towns with spy glass?

that would be to much to ask for wouldnt it? 🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

That's sounds like a lot of player involvement for a mechanic that should already be in place. Chat is already flooded as it is.

Yeah you are right, waaay to much involvement. What was I thinking.

I do like the idea of being able to see what woods as you mentioned. Because right now you actually have to board and take the ship before you can see the woods (for NPC ships).

Not sure if there a "thought" behind that or if devs just missed, because player ships you see the woods.

But, that's a different topic I guess.

2 hours ago, AeRoTR said:

I think we should also see exactly how damaged all the ships in the battle is. In case it's player vs player we can see which side is loosing and join the "right" side.

(J/K)

Some ideas not bad ones, just don't think they are needed or worth the attention of the devs at this stage.

Maybe for a finished game it could be done to "polish" the realism or whatever.

20 minutes ago, Castañon del Rey said:

we should also see exactly how damaged all the ships in the battle is. In case it's player vs player we can see which side is loosing and join the "right" side

That is too far away for spy glass, you need to enter battle instance. Open map select the enemy ship which is 10kms away, too see all damage and crew remaining :)

3 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

That is too far away for spy glass, you need to enter battle instance. Open map select the enemy ship which is 10kms away, too see all damage and crew remaining :)

Yeah yeah..:), not realistic i know, so let's save all these great ideas of how to improve realism for once the game is finished.:).

I want RvR to be fixed first damnit!. 

making it slightly easier for players to find PVP and avoid PVE on a PVP server by changing the colour of the swords wouldn't be hard.  It shouldn't have to be a lottery.  I know RVR is dead right now but I don't see the need for more obstacles to be put in the way of PVP for the sake of the players who only want to play against the AI when there is a server just for that

• Like 2

Good idea.   We should be able to tell PvP from PvE.  Will be very complicated to show detail, (fleet ships, reinforcements, order of joining, multiple nations).   The best we could hope for is simple. - PvE or PvP

I disagree that less info means more pew pew.   Otherwise we should Just keep all enemies nameless and nationless, in OW and in battle instances.