Game-Labs Forum

Stop being negative!!

@Flash Jack 

I’ve never put as much energy into a PC Game as this one. Spending five YEARs in EvE Online was long, but just a year and bit in NA seems just as long. Couple of points to remember or maybe ponder on…

This is NOT the final release state of the Game. Currently three servers and a testbed help the Dev’s see how this will work on release. NA-L not even mentioned.

The Forum. What is its main purpose? Is it for the Development team to view how players would see different aspects of different parts of the game? Or is it a communication vehicle for you the player to tell the Dev team how the game should be done? Or a bit of both…?

This is a business run by a small team that’s punching above its weight. That’s not an excuse but I do like the idea of taking on the big boys. Positive and negative feedback is all well and good if it’s true and honest put in perspective. This means knowing one’s situational awareness with this environment and the impact the feedback you present. This includes the Dev’s like @admin able to accept criticism in the right context. Think about this for a bit…

The thing I wholeheartedly disagree with is aggressive blinkered opinions good or bad and not willing to look at the problem realistically. If some of the community worked with or for me and presented opinions that I see here in the forum well you’d be out the door even if you were a genius. The thing is that’s work, we play NA as entertainment and enjoyment. This skews the view from YOU a fee-paying tester with a right to complain if the product doesn’t deliver what’s said on the box…

Thing is we are helping to design the box the game sits in…

Norfolk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

@Rigs, Still better than silence.

:lol: Love You Man! I have to admire your tenacity!

Silence is a source of great strength - Lao Tzu
Silence is a true friend who never betrays - Confucius
Silence is one of the great arts of conversation - Cicero
Silence is the sleep that nourishes wisdom -  Francis Bacon

Silence is true wisdom's best reply - Euripides

Silence is better than unmeaning words - Pythagoras

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rigs said:

:lol: Love You Man! I have to admire your tenacity!

Silence is a source of great strength - Lao Tzu
Silence is a true friend who never betrays - Confucius
Silence is one of the great arts of conversation - Cicero
Silence is the sleep that nourishes wisdom -  Francis Bacon

Silence is true wisdom's best reply - Euripides

Silence is better than unmeaning words - Pythagoras

Silence is golden  (The Tremeloes) 🐴🖒

• Like 1

Silence has many virtues but all do not apply here.

Lets make a scenario where NA lost 10k players.  None of them told devs why they quit.  Silence is golden?

It would be better to see 10k posts, "GUI sucks, totally unplayable, I quit!  Devs are idiots!"

Edited by Cmdr RideZ

4 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

To be more positive, I think we should rename the title of this thread from Stop Being Negative to Start Being Positive.

Good point Jean.  Some players may find it offensive and not politically correct to be accosted with the bad vibes of the current title.   The point is the same but the message could be upsetting emotionally.

• Like 1

One thing to remember is that the majority of NA players, active and inactive, are not your usual MMO crowd - fairly linear on rails coop/pvp/pve experiences - but a healthy mix of naval historians, wargamers, simmers, ego shooters,..., at extremely widespread levels of commitment.

Some things are obvious, like GUI, there's no discussion on that. Other aspects not so much and might fall into individual expectations.

Hence one liners might not be as helpful as some put it, other than simply providing a statistic that some individual is "pissed" about something.

- but - 

Discussions about the negative aspects with specific topics being presented, and obviously being countered and shown as maybe not so negative, in a wider audience sense, do help.

Healthy exchange of playstyle aspects for example can also showcase, to the devs, how some changes have been received in the OW by all and not only one or two types of players.

• Like 3

On 27/10/2017 at 12:18 PM, Cmdr RideZ said:

Silence has many virtues but all do not apply here.

Lets make a scenario where NA lost 10k players.  None of them told devs why they quit.  Silence is golden?

It would be better to see 10k posts, "GUI sucks, totally unplayable, I quit!  Devs are idiots!"

10k players....now that would be nice. 😁

• Like 1

Great positive replies guys.

This is the way forward. 👍🖒

We all want good honest criticism but......toxic attacks and the I'm leaving comments help no one.

Also why do the same people keep leaving?.....then leave again.....then leave again.....add infiniteum and they love to announce 'that's it I quit!'.

Makes me smile.

I prefer to play the game and comment constructively in the hope that the game will continue to go in the right direction which I think it is.

Breathe.....in with the good air....out with the bad.....thats better.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Flash Jack said:

Also why do the same people keep leaving?.....then leave again.....then leave again.....add infiniteum and they love to announce 'that's it I quit!'.

Makes me smile.

Not that many.  There were more in the past, but they have pretty well disappeared.  Most just leave and are gone.

Let me put this way... In my old clan, I would go through the list of players.  One Rear admiral (or near) after another who quit playing about July.  They came back after the great wipe, played for a while then stopped.  It think some of the reasons are clear and have been addressed.

You don't talk about those reasons with while whistling pollyanna and farting flowers out your rear.

25 minutes ago, IndianaGeoff said:

Not that many.  There were more in the past, but they have pretty well disappeared.  Most just leave and are gone.

Let me put this way... In my old clan, I would go through the list of players.  One Rear admiral (or near) after another who quit playing about July.  They came back after the great wipe, played for a while then stopped.  It think some of the reasons are clear and have been addressed.

You don't talk about those reasons with while whistling pollyanna and farting flowers out your rear.

almost every 2nd quit the game and never returned to stay 

Edited by George Washington

@Flash Jack great post and I agree with you about the negativity not being helpful. There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain criticism, we as players in a game still in its development phase should focus on the constructive feedback.

Things I like about this game: dreaming about being at the helm of an Indiaman.

NA-15-02a.thumb.jpg.b758fe2f1cbb62e3c0d2d04c3ef4cbaa.jpg

The work put into the ship model details is unbelievable.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, IndianaGeoff said:

Well that's just not true.

All the big 'opinionated' names have quit forever more than once when the game has not gone their way. Toys thrown from pram....stamping and crying.

Most are still playing the game.

But hey, it's a nice day in the Bahamas and I have some sailing to do.....................cue whistling and flower petals......

1 hour ago, The Red Duke said:

Some things are obvious, like GUI, there's no discussion on that. Other aspects not so much and might fall into individual expectations.

If you would make clear what expectations this game is supposed to focus on, people could actually start to do meaningful discussions. Its simply impossible to prove an opinion wrong when there is no definition of "right". Discussions go on and on until it comes down to a principle discussion, how PvP is supposed to work, or how a sandbox should look like. Things that should be clear by now. 

What about the steam description saying "realistic sandbox". Thats probably what players expect buying the game, no matter where they come from. Why dont we just focus on that?! Changes you make are completely contradicting with that, all reasoning based on this simply gets ignored. Sure you can stretch the definition of a sandbox, but not the major principles. 

Such a game trying to simulate a complex ecosystem requires certain conditions to work, no matter what people like. OW PvP requires that ships are able to drag each other into battle no matter how unfair it is. We can discuss how long time goals should be designed, but they are necessary. We can discuss what ships should be cheaper than others, but the overall eco balancing has to be right. Etc.

Just giving people the opportunity to PvP here, do PvE there, and some artificial resources for trading is by far not the same. People want their decisions and actions to matter. Its not the same to sink a meaningless ship for no reason inside a PvP zone, and e.g. to hunt an enemy threatening friendly traders carrying important goods. 

6 hours ago, Flash Jack said:

Well that's just not true.

All the big 'opinionated' names have quit forever more than once when the game has not gone their way. Toys thrown from pram....stamping and crying.

Most are still playing the game.

But hey, it's a nice day in the Bahamas and I have some sailing to do.....................cue whistling and flower petals......

I am not talking about "big" players.  I am talking about regular Joe's who used to play 2 or 3 nights a week.