Game-Labs Forum

Surprise rigging

39 minutes ago, Cabral said:

Cables that move sails yards.

Only the newest ships like Wasa have braces modeled, so Surprise isn't alone there.

Some ships newer than Surprise have squaresail sheets and cargo rigging(?), but these details are implemented in inaccurate ways.

Hopefully Surprise and everyone else will get retrofitted.

In general I would recommend that the artists prioritize rigging like this: shrouds>back/fore stays>braces>gaff sheets

If there's anything left in the detail budget, then do sheets for jibs and square sails. But the fact that these lines need to be rendered as huge eight-inch hawsers can seriously detract from the aesthetics of the model. Rather than overemphasize certain lines, it is better to omit them and let our brains fill in the blanks.

• Like 1

Completely agree guys. The devs have out done themselves which creates this problem. The newer Rigging looks really good and is fun to sail. Ships needing love I see?

belle poule (just look at Le gros ventre) 

surprise

The le hermione looks great. As do the Endymion and indefatigable 

Hope they are able to update them soon!

HUTCH78

21 hours ago, Cabral said:

When we will get some love on HMS Surprise? Some rigging still missing.

cost of making a ship can reach 30-40k in art costs, programming costs, animation work, set up and testing. 3-4 people work on a ship
When you make a lot of something over time your experience grows as a result, that is why new ships look better.
We do not plan to come back to ships we made 2 years ago as even remaking 10 ships will cost 300k.
Even if we had these 300k we would prefer to add new ships. 

ps resolution for the issue could be a ship drive (where customers can support remake by donating money) 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, admin said:

ps resolution for the issue could be a ship drive (where customers can support remake by donating money) 

Still waiting for the kickstarter Shippacks...

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, admin said:

Add ship packs into a indiegogo campaign or something. A lot of games have done that, including Ancient Cities etc. I am confident that people are willing to pay to see their favourite ships into the game.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ancient-cities-extended-pc#/

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, admin said:

takemymoney.jpg

:) 

21 minutes ago, Sella22 said:

Add ship packs into a indiegogo campaign or something. A lot of games have done that, including Ancient Cities etc. I am confident that people are willing to pay to see their favourite ships into the game.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ancient-cities-extended-pc#/

Indeed. 

I'd rather buy ship-class packs (Corvettes, Light Frigates, Heavy Frigates, 1st-Rates...) but, given the winds of nationalism we've lately witnessed during 2017 poll, I guess that national packs might sell better... Moreover, some classes might be preferred by the majority.

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1