Game-Labs Forum

merge servers (PLEASE)

12 minutes ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

It was plenty fun a couple months ago when there were more players, more evenly distributed. 

Please re-read what i wrote.  You cherry picked what you wanted to see then ignored the meat of the post. I know comprehension is not a strong suit of millennials but please re-read what i wrote IN COMPLETE form then you will understand. 

Just now, Mrdoomed said:

Please re-read what i wrote.  You cherry picked what you wanted to see then ignored the meat of the post. I know comprehension is not a strong suit of millennials but please re-read what i wrote IN COMPLETE form then you will understand. 

LOL, why is everyone a "millenial" now, even us 50 year olds?   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

100 more players would be a huge difference.  There were only about 35-45 on when I was playing yesterday.  (edit: and only 60 right now)  I don't understand the idea that adding players would make players quit.  Players are already quitting because the population is low.  Why would they quit if the population was higher? 

People won't quit just because we add players.  Many people have declared they do not want the servers merged.  It is reasonable to expect a certain number to quit if a server merge is forced down their throats.  I used a 5% loss as an estimate.  It could be much higher.

And if you don't like Global or PvE with 35-40 players you can choose to switch to the EU server, there is rarely a double digit population there.  Usually there are several hundred on the EU server.   You can enjoy a server with a bigger population right now.  Right now there is 352 on EU and 57 on Global.  It is almost 0200z.  Merging might create a little over 400 on a combo server.    352 vs 400 really doesn't ruin the game.

Don't be confused that a merge would always mean an extra 100 players on the combo server.   A merge would more likely add about only 80 players (on average).   That is really not a very large increase and would be unlikely to change the game play significantly.

1 hour ago, qw569 said:

populations ...

Reveal hidden contents

OzhzRUB.png

Dear qw569,

I don't know how you did that.  But thanks.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

People won't quit just because we add players.  Many people have declared they do not want the servers merged.  It is reasonable to expect a certain number to quit if a server merge is forced down their throats.  I used a 5% loss as an estimate.  It could be much higher.

And if you don't like Global or PvE with 35-40 players you can choose to switch to the EU server, there is rarely a double digit population there. 

But the only effect of merging Global players onto EU would be a higher population. Global is going to be empty in two weeks anyway, so no losses there. Unless the EU elitists think we colonial Global players have the Plague or something.  80 more players would be great.  The population on Global has been between 35 and 65 while I've been playing since yesterday evening.  It will continue to go lower.

And, I'm not going to throw away 3 months of grind on Global to go back to being a penniless garde-marine on EU server if a merge isn't happening.  I'll just have to do what I can to increase my XP on empty Global for the next Wipe. 

To quote the ship's Doctor: "He's DEAD, Jim!"

Edited by Barbancourt (rownd)

16 minutes ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

And, no I'm not going to throw away 3 months of grind to go back to being a penniless garde-marine on EU server if a merge isn't happening.  I'll just have to do what I can to increase my XP on empty Global for the next Wipe. 

I see your point.  

Perhaps rather than a forced merge your situation could be improved by allowing you to transfer assets to the EU Server.  Seems better to allow players an option rather making everyone play on the same server.  After all the populations might increase.  We may need an extra server.  Especially after the game is released.  I know players who are not playing anymore for the same reasons you would like to combine the servers.  They are waiting until the game is no longer early access.   They have tried the game but are now waiting until they will no longer be affected by a wipe after they have built up their assets.  For them the enjoyment is not just in testing but in progressing in the game and retaining their wealth.

Edited by Macjimm

39 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

Is not. Proportion is equal. Say from 1200 to 300. Say from 400 to 100.

Ok, interesting. I didn't start immediatly playing after the last whipe.
The distribution of players 3/4 EU and 1/4 Global is interesting since I read a lot about the advantages of a global server here on the forum advertised before the split.

What I still dont understand, and ppl already mentioned it in this thread, if you merge the servers the timespecific pop will be the same. So not a real change in the experience received regarding population. Except on the weekends.

Yes. There's no denying that with the present mechanics.

One single battle cannot last 24 hours to cover all timezones.

Now... several battles across 24 hours to "score" and solve the conquest could work in a merge.

But wishful thinking on my part :) 

I play all servers.

1 hour ago, The Red Duke said:

One single battle cannot last 24 hours to cover all timezones.

oh the good memories of BF FH 1942 , 24 hour around the clock organised battles (some 20 years ago :) ) to win some land on a risklike map (not included in the game).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Red Duke said:

Now... several battles across 24 hours to "score" and solve the conquest could work in a merge.

That would be imbalance by design. Not every side can bring (or organize) fleets to cover 24 hours.

Rather I would like to see fluidity in the conquest mechanics that allow for the 11 (2 hour time slots) fronts to appear and become more stable.

That has been proven to keep Aussies occupied. :)

The ping will keep AUS/NZ/HK players off EU server. This has been discussed time and time again. The reason for the split in the first place is on global. Anyone is free to just join EU server (many already did). No reason to merge really. What are you trying to merge? Ships? Gold? Ship XP? 

13 hours ago, Comrade I Stalin said:

The ping will keep AUS/NZ/HK players off EU server. This has been discussed time and time again. The reason for the split in the first place is on global. Anyone is free to just join EU server (many already did). No reason to merge really. What are you trying to merge? Ships? Gold? Ship XP?

Ping may or may not keep Aus/NZ/SEA/oceanic players off the EU server, but the population crash on Global would appear to doom them anyway. 

Going to the EU server cold turkey means going back to Basic Cutter and doing three months of XP and asset grinding all over again.  (by the time you've done that there may be another Wipe anyway)

If you followed devs instructions you have your rank and redeemable on EU server, just like you did on global. In two hours of trading you are back to your Surprise hunting grounds. I play both servers, (not that much anymore, lost the motivation) its not that complicated.

Yes you would lose server specific gains, but that was your (and mine) choice to go to global or eu, or both. Now all this thread about simply not willing to live with choices we made. So we demand a handout, bailout, special accommodation.  

The new wipe/clan wars will kill all our accomplishments again. Just enjoy either server till then.

11 hours ago, Comrade I Stalin said:

Yes you would lose server specific gains, but that was your (and mine) choice to go to global or eu, or both. Now all this thread about simply not willing to live with choices we made. So we demand a handout, bailout, special accommodation. 

It isn't a "handout" to try to get all the players together to save the game for everyone.  I'm not sure why you have this judgemental tone about which server I've been playing on.  I'm GMT-10 so you can't claim I had a "choice" to start out on the EU server, and the fact that the server populations have crashed certainly isn't my fault either. 

Did you play PVP1 or PVP2? There was no server split. Same two servers with different names. Nothing changed.

I played thru nightflips on PVP1 and lack of action on PVP2, both were not pleasant.

EU players made it very clear, you play by their rules or not at all on EU server.

There is always a choice. Might not be a good one but it is there. 

P.S.

GMT -10 gives you very low population on EU (50-150). You still locked out of RVR.

Not sure what your ping is going to be. When I play from HKG and PVG  it spikes to 4-500 randomly,  in NRT and ICN  its 200-250 and more stable.

On 24/08/2017 at 8:19 PM, Macjimm said:

I see your point.  

Perhaps rather than a forced merge your situation could be improved by allowing you to transfer assets to the EU Server.  Seems better to allow players an option rather making everyone play on the same server.  After all the populations might increase.  We may need an extra server.  Especially after the game is released.  I know players who are not playing anymore for the same reasons you would like to combine the servers.  They are waiting until the game is no longer early access.   They have tried the game but are now waiting until they will no longer be affected by a wipe after they have built up their assets.  For them the enjoyment is not just in testing but in progressing in the game and retaining their wealth.

It's sad to see that some people don't play this game just for the fun of it, the only interest is progressing until Rear Admiral and retaining the max pixels gold they can.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cabral said:

It's sad to see that some people don't play this game just for the fun of it, the only interest is progressing until Rear Admiral and retaining the max pixels gold they can.

I started before open world and am a 2Lt and having a great time.  I find the game lots of fun just sailing, trading and meeting some great people.  I could start again tomorrow and would be content.

I understand completely though if people don't want to have all of their progress wiped out.   It seems reasonable that if someone put a lot of time in to grow their wealth they could be disappointed to lose everything.

We don't all play for the same reasons. 

Edit:   The players I know who are finished with testing tend to think that NA will truly begin when the game is released.  And no longer early access.

Edited by Macjimm

12 hours ago, Comrade I Stalin said:

Did you play PVP1 or PVP2? There was no server split. Same two servers with different names. Nothing changed.

The rules changed. Folks didn't end up with XP on the server with the rules they liked, so effectively it was split. Therefor your statement is false.

If you wish devs can put the same rules on both servers again.

To Global players, merge won't happen unless EU players agree. Once we have an agreeable mechanic, only then can it be reconsidered.

1 minute ago, Skully said:

The rules changed. Folks didn't end up with XP on the server with the rules they liked, so effectively it was split. Therefor your statement is false.

To Global players, merge won't happen unless EU players agree. Once we have an agreeable mechanic, only then can it be reconsidered.

Let me put the emphasis on *WON'T*

EVE is the only game I know of that does a single server. And imagine how powerful those servers must be after 10 years?

NA will NEVER, I repeat, NEVER merge its servers

1 hour ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

EVE is the only game I know of that does a single server. And imagine how powerful those servers must be after 10 years?

NA will NEVER, I repeat, NEVER merge its servers

When will you stop sprouting nonsense?

http://highscalability.com/eve-online-architecture

EVE Online consists of a shitload of blades. The individual blades haven't increased much in power over the last 10 years.

NA has a blade per battle instance, same story.

As for merges:

4 minutes ago, Skully said:

When will you stop sprouting nonsense?

http://highscalability.com/eve-online-architecture

EVE Online consists of a shitload of blades. The individual blades haven't increased much in power over the last 10 years.

NA has a blade per battle instance, same story.

As for merges:

A shitload of blades....for one server.

7 hours ago, Skully said:

The rules were not changed. They were just enforced by coding. That is EU position. For a long time there was an agreement on ROE in RVR, then one nation decided not to honor it. Now it is coded in. I am just relaying  majority EU captains position.

I see your point.

IMHO unless you are heavy RVR player with 9-5 job outside EU, I do not see how EU is any different.

ping is an issue according to my clanmates and personal observations, for Pac Rim players.

I understand both sides. There just no present mechanic to come to agreement. That could change of course.

I travel a lot (18 days a month), but US based on days off. My job is 24/7, so its always noon somewhere (sometimes twice a day). It was clear to me that most of the players were EU based when I bought the game. It has not changed. I made my choices accordingly. My main was ironically on PVP2/global for a while. 

I have not been as active, lack of motivation due to broken gameplay and constant change, and other games took NA place.

I really wish we could have more action, but just do not see this with current conditions.

Maybe you can proove me wrong, that happened to me before once or twice ;)