Game-Labs Forum

Letter from a Filthy Casual

On 7/27/2017 at 1:25 PM, Eleven said:

Allowing alts is the biggest mistake the devs ever made in this game. Yes they made a huge load of money through it, but it backfires. Nearly every exploit and most of tribunals involve alt accounts. There is a reason every other MMO has as rule #1 "no alt accounts". No you can't just forbid them without getting shitstormed by alt account owners.

What MMO are you referring to? I have been playing online games since the early 90's and have never encountered a company that could effectively prevent 2nd accounts. So I ask which MMO's were able to ?

• Like 2

On 7/28/2017 at 1:55 AM, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

When I first looked at the delivery mission listings in Fort Royal they were all delivering large quantities of heavy stuff into enemy captials and dangerous free towns like that, and I gave up on the idea of delivery missions entirely.  Then recently someone pointed out to me that delivery missions are different in every port, and there are some really easy ones here and there.  They don't pay much money, but they do make a little XP that is helping my crafting XP grind.  The same mission will spawn repeatedly for a period of time, so you can make a little stockpile of the goods run it several times in a row.

Glad to see you took my advice and looked at the delivery missions again, there is not a huge profit in it but there are some nice short runs that can help you grind out that craft XP while giving you a little gold.

11 hours ago, CaptVonGunn said:

Playing the Game is designed is not cheating

Having an alt in an enemy-nation is not cheating? I geuss then everybody should get those marks and rare resources, just the same as the alters do? Oh no, that wouldn't be right? The alters have bought their 'winning' ticket, so they deserve the advantages? Yeah right, keep dreaming?

It's perfectly fine to have an extra ace up your sleeve, it's totally not cheating ... until you are caught. Right? Then you bring excuses, weak ones at that. Did you tell your teachers your dog ate your homework aswell?

8 hours ago, Eyesore said:

Having an alt in an enemy-nation is not cheating? I geuss then everybody should get those marks and rare resources, just the same as the alters do? Oh no, that wouldn't be right? The alters have bought their 'winning' ticket, so they deserve the advantages? Yeah right, keep dreaming?

It's perfectly fine to have an extra ace up your sleeve, it's totally not cheating ... until you are caught. Right? Then you bring excuses, weak ones at that. Did you tell your teachers your dog ate your homework aswell?

We have already been there.

So now you're just ranting.

18 hours ago, Eyesore said:

Depends on how you use it.. gathering info.. is one thing.. actually joining a clan and pretending to be one of them is a different story..  MOst alts I "know" about are mainly there for access to trade in an region.....  If the devs dont consider it cheating your option really means little 

Edited by CaptVonGunn

This game was fun. Now... post wipe... I don't know what crowd they're trying to please but we filthy, stinking casuals are not in that bunch.

While everyone here has their own opinion as to what to change, it doesn't matter.  Until this game goes back to what it was pre wipe (and it never will) I see no reason to log in. I purchased NA to either entertain me or provide me an avenue where I could entertain myself.  Pre-wipe, it did that and I was happy to spend that money.  Now, I face being bored shitless or a grind that I'm simply not going to do. It's a waste of my money.

I don't even bother to log in any more because I can't stomach what it's become.

@Fengist testing in NA has gone through a lot and devs want to make sure they don't leave anything untested, be it the easiest more accessible mode possible ( teleports everywhere, multiple durabilities, surreal amounts of gold, etc ) to the more difficult and painful and "grindy".

Things are about to change soon, I think, due to many of the things that looked good on paper didn't really work when in practice.

Also a "new" player here. Well, I've owned the game for a while but only recently had the time to really play it. I must say i was struggling playing solo (yes I've looked for a GB clan on global but no joy as of yet) but the last few days i feel i am making some progress at last,  capturing a trader brig and running some goods around has certainly helped the finances and overall enjoyment.

• Like 1

Pretty much spot on. The only difference is I am in the largest pirate clan on global. I played for 2 weeks after the wipe and decided to let them develop the changes more. I got the razee outfitted with 42lb carros and I stopped. I had my money maker. No point in burning myself out. New people I feel sorry for.

I especially agree with your comments on the flag mechanic. O.W. PVP took a huge hit after the removal.

• 2 weeks later...

I think one thing the devs need to realise..........with 4000 players the original game was broken.   with 200 players the original games is close to working....

The fixes you have made over the last 18 months were to address scaling issues because the RVR games was broken....if you had made different decisions 12 moths ago you would have different things to fix right now.

Personally,  put flags back in turn of Slingshotting/Tow to outposts and remove all the west side of the map and the south side of the map and put crafting back to how it was but with 1 duro ships....because that was the actual issue and you fixed it 3 times creating a mess.

turn off all PVEorders and missions and put all the original fleets back.....stop more than 4 flags being pulled in 24 hours and no more than 2 active at once.....set defensive timers on 6 hour windows with EU times blocked on Global and make EU play 8 hours a day or something...they can decide that.

Your game will be working again ...People will be taught to PVP not hide in PVE.  Ships will be crafted faster as people will be crafting more which feeds traders which feed PVP on OW....

add more missions like a mission to trade ....then other nations can pick up an order to intercept it  PVP queue via mission  1 in 1 out...

there ya go, most things fixed involving a stagnant OW map. 

Alts are a money grab by devs....blocking the trading of permits and marks in this release would have been a big deal,  binding ships to account with sinking and permits given to craft new ships would have solved the other issue.  and making nations with all the resources is the 3rd reason to have an alt....and that's easily fixed if they would just make the smuggler thing into a fly wrong colours and people need to remember player names......ie unkowns would be smugglers but people with reputations would be identified and shot

If they had any intention of stopping alts they could have addressed it in many ways....even Everquest which was a year 2000 MMO understood Binding gear.

3 hours ago, Fastidius said:

......and remove all the west side of the map   Ridiculous

...and the south side of the map   Ridiculous

...turn off all PVEorders and missions   Both ridiculous and self-defeating

...make EU play 8 hours a day or something...they can decide that.   Ridiculous

Your game will be working again ...People will be taught to PVP not hide in PVE.  Wrong, people don't get taught to play some way.  They leave to play what they want.

...add more missions like a mission to trade ....   Contradiction to what you just said above to turn them all off

there ya go, most things fixed involving a stagnant OW map.    Wrong, you just killed this game permanently

Did you think at all before you wrote this garbage?

17 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

Did you think at all before you wrote this garbage?

yes did you think about them before replying?

the map is too big, cutting out the gulf and the Panama gulf is a good way to size down all the sailing while not losing too much variety.

turning off the missions means people have to sail for content....you know the reason why there's an OW ...you can just do missions out of your capital for no risk or sailing.

make EU play 8 hours a day for PB timers makes perfect sense if you are bringing back the flag system as I suggested somewhere up there...too many threads.

Your game will be working again ...People will be taught to PVP not hide in PVE.  Wrong, people don't get taught to play some way.  They leave to play what they want. 
well that explains why PVE server has the 5000 users we lost then....

More missions like missions to trade are a good thing make people sail in risk and get high rewards.  More styles of the would be good.  It's OW content not PVE instance missions...PvE is player Vs AI in case you didn't understand that part.

I don't understand why you want an empty Ocean....surely there is a screens saver of the ocean you can get.

You need to scale the game for the population....you seen AC:black flag   its a full map but the movement is faster and theres more ships in that 1 player game than in this ocean at the moment and were at 1/8 the speed of that as a guess....devs don't wanna speed us up anymore and it appears they can't really without bugs so turning off parts of the map is a viable option.  Now calm your tits and show some respect to someone who is trying to make the game work....you're clearly not able to reason or you would have made an argument against my points with a better solution rather than working out how to turn your text red and is that Bold you happened to find their....more effort went into your colour choice than your thinking.

Edited by Fastidius

16 minutes ago, Fastidius said:

well that explains why PVE server has the 5000 users we lost then....

You need to get informed before you spout off.  I have been playing both pvp global and pve servers.  This weekend while I saw about 110 on the pve server, I went to the pvp global server and there were less.  I guess your "make everyone learn pvp" is working real well for you and your 5000 ?

19 minutes ago, Fastidius said:

...I don't understand why you want an empty Ocean....surely there is a screens saver of the ocean you can get.

I seem to have lost my quote that said that.  Can you please repost my quote where I asked for empty oceans?

3 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

You need to get informed before you spout off.  I have been playing both pvp global and pve servers.  This weekend while I saw about 110 on the pve server, I went to the pvp global server and there were less.  I guess your "make everyone learn pvp" is working real well for you and your 5000 ?

i think you missed my point in that people didnt want PVE we have a server for PVE they wanted a better game or better PVP.

20 minutes ago, Fastidius said:

...the map is too big, cutting out the gulf and the Panama gulf is a good way to size down all the sailing while not losing too much variety.

No it's not.  And this is only your own personal opinion.  Did you poll all thousands of users who entered and/or left this game?  Show me the exact numbers in your poll that agree with you.  There are plenty examples of people on this forum with the exact opposite opinion.  Including me.  Just canceled your opinion.

Just now, Fastidius said:

i think you missed my point in that people didnt want PVE we have a server for PVE they wanted a better game or better PVP.

....and wrong again !  I like to play pve on a pvp server just as much as on a pve server.  It's a different experience and I enjoy them both.  You just never end with the misinformed statements.

Just now, Jean Ribault said:

No it's not.  And this is only your own personal opinion.  Did you poll all thousands of users who entered and/or left this game?  Show me the exact numbers in your poll that agree with you.  There are plenty examples of people on this forum with the exact opposite opinion.  Including me.  Just canceled your opinion.

ok so suggest something instead of being a troll and tearing up ideas present some .... i explained why mine has merit...

Just now, Jean Ribault said:

....and wrong again !  I like to play pve on a pvp server just as much as on a pve server.  It's a different experience and I enjoy them both.  You just never end with the misinformed statements.

well explain your point. how is it different?