Game-Labs Forum

Reverse Engineering Of Materials

Hi,

Most Gold and Silver resources looted from ships and Shipwrecks are often in the form of Coins.

Also, cannons drop as loot, often not the caliber of gun you want or need.

Therefore i suggest the following:

Reverse Engineering for some items.

This should be the case for Silver Coins and Gold Coins, that could be re melted into Ingots.

Also for Cannons, since they could be taken apart and have the barrels melted down and recast again as ingots to be used in Cannons of a different caliber.

As we can break down ships, i find it makes sense to be able to do the same with other materials that can be reworked into a previous state.

This would help with the Gold and Silver being scarce, and being essential to building ships.

@admin

So perhaps, a break-down button for certain materials, which refund x % of the resources used to make them.

Remelting Iron, Silver or Gold does not really lose that much material in the process, so the percentage could be fairly high, say 75-80% of the original required resources.

Remelting 100 Silver coins would then return some 70-80 ish Silver Ingots.

Since you need to work a forge to to this kind of work, perhaps coupled with a operation cost of Coal?

I suggest the same Coal cost as the casting of these Ingots.

It would give the Silver Coins and Gold Coins a second purpose, next to being used in Refits and such.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Yngvarr said:

Hi,

Most Gold and Silver resources looted from ships and Shipwrecks are often in the form of Coins.

This should be the case for Silver Coins and Gold Coins, that could be re melted into Ingots.

Also for Cannons, since they could be taken apart and have the barrels melted down and recast again as ingots to be used in Cannons of a different caliber.

As we can break down ships, i find it makes sense to be able to do the same with other materials that can be reworked into a previous state.

This would help with the Gold and Silver being scarce, and being essential to building ships.

@admin

So perhaps, a break-down button for certain materials, which refund x % of the resources used to make them.

Remelting Iron, Silver or Gold does not really lose that much material in the process, so the percentage could be fairly high, say 75-80% of the original required resources.

Since you need to work a forge to to this kind of work, perhaps coupled with a operation cost of Coal?

It would give the Silver Coins and Gold Coins a second purpose, next to being used in Refits and such.

so you want to convert planks into logs??

8 minutes ago, Salty Dog on Global said:

so you want to convert planks into logs??

No, Only material where the reversal is feasible and possible.

You can melt down Gold Coins into Ingots, you cannot make a Tree from planks.

2 hours ago, Yngvarr said:

Hi,

@admin

Agree for coins!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ned Low said:

Smelter Structure could be handy but would require limestone. I like the idea. I agree I have couple hundreds sitting without use. 

For what purpose does it need limestone?

Could you explain that?

4 hours ago, Ned Low said:

Smelter Structure could be handy but would require limestone. I like the idea. I agree I have couple hundreds sitting without use. 

Of course we should be using limetone anyway. Sometimes I look back to the not-particularly complicated econ of PotBS (especially early PotBS before half the buildings disappeared) and realise how poor Naval Action crafting is by comparison.

37 minutes ago, Yngvarr said:

For what purpose does it need limestone?

Could you explain that?

To smelt iron from iron ore. It is used as a flux to remove impurities. But it would not be needed for re-casting cannons into ingots, for example.

Neither to smelt Silver or Gold Coins back into ingots.

At that point, the purification process has already passed.

Also, if i'm not mistaken, there's other minerals and such that can be used as a flux, Silica?