Game-Labs Forum

Hotfix 3 for testbed patch 9.99

admin

1 minute ago, Daguse said:

If you want to encourage players to PVP, you got to make the reward worth the risk. 

Isn't it? I mean, either I get a lot of XP and gold because I sunk you OR I get your ship, assuming I wanted it.

Both are pretty good rewards.

That is, if I walk away with 0 XP, 0 gold and one new 1st Rate because I captured yours then...great! If I sink your first rate and walk away with a pile of gold and XP then....great! I don't see the problem?

And as for abuse really the tradeoff is that "sunk ships can be traded for gold and XP". If someone wants to craft ships in a corner of the map and have their alt account sink them then..... ok, I guess? They're basically turning labor hours (and probably gold) into XP. Not sure if that's worth worrying about. But trading a ship back and forth for XP and no loss would be a real problem.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kaos said:

Aren't NPC ships gimped compared to player made ones? If they weren't then why would anyone waste time hauling resources to get their ungimped one if they could play the lottery and hope to catch a good one from npc? Last time we had golden ships with 3-5 most people disregarded anything that wasn't maxed out 3-5 golden colored no matter how long it took to get a decent rng roll if I remember correctly.

I asked this and was wondering do we still get the slight buff over the shop ship for player crafted ships?  I haven't crafted one even though I can do any of the light ships.  Trying to save my stff up for a good 4/5th rate in the next day or two.

12 minutes ago, JobaSet said:

I don't care what it is PVP or PVE you should get more capping a boat it cost you more for crew.

The thing is this is a game, you have players and AI ships. If they are treated the same, players will attack AI ships for the easy money, once that happens everyone is rich beyond their wildest dreams. 

So the devs set the AI ships to grey, great you should get the money for a grey ship. If you attack a player and get a blue ship, you should get the money for a blue ship. If capping the ship is costing you more coin then you gain from it then just don't do it. 

I'm sick of seeing players running AI missions all day just to get money to by the next ship. Doing that means no PVP, and makes the game boring as hello kitty. 

Edited by Daguse

2 minutes ago, Kaos said:

Last time we had golden ships with 3-5 most people disregarded anything that wasn't maxed out 3-5 golden colored no matter how long it took to get a decent rng roll if I remember correctly.

Yeah but that's because the old system was awash in money and durability. I always had more ships than I had places to put them, so I just wouldn't waste dock space on a less-than-ideal ship. We would actually build a gold ship and then throw it into the wood chipper if it didn't get the right RNG attributes because "just make another one" was so easy.

Maybe that will still be true but now that ship cost is higher (with cannons) and ships are 1 dura, and hauling is riskier, I'm thinking that maybe a 1/10th-cost captured Frigate might look pretty good, especially if I'm just trying to fill out a fleet and need a sacrificial ship to maybe throw at some enemies. If I can only make or afford 1 Frigate dura per day and I'm losing more than that then I guess I'll buy that low grade captured ship, if for no other reason than something to grind out more cash with.

Just sayin', I can imagine cases where it's going to be useful but it does depend on how the new economy plays out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slamz said:

Isn't it? I mean, either I get a lot of XP and gold because I sunk you OR I get your ship, assuming I wanted it.

That is, if I walk away with 0 XP, 0 gold and one new 1st Rate because I captured yours then...great! If I sink your first rate and walk away with a pile of gold and XP then....great! I don't see the problem?

And as for abuse really the tradeoff is that "sunk ships can be traded for gold and XP". If someone wants to craft ships in a corner of the map and have their alt account sink them then..... ok, I guess? They're basically turning labor hours (and probably gold) into XP. Not sure if that's worth worrying about. But trading a ship back and forth for XP and no loss would be a real problem.

Exactly my point, just don't think everyone wants it that way... PVP should be worth it. Making PVE gain you the same amount of cash and XP as PVP means it is not worth the risk. 

Now if your talking PVP vs PVE servers then scaling and tweaking will need to be done. 

1 hour ago, admin said:

we dont want to pop any ones bubble but here is the thing

• Admiralty will only reward sank ships with xp and money.
  • If you captured a good ship, sell it to players.
  • If players don't want your captured ship  = it its worth nothing.
  • Admiralty does not need trash that nobody wants. 

Ship capture or surrenders will not reward any monetary value. NPC as well because you can abuse it with fleets. Give your fleet stop command and your alt captures them all gaining both ships and xp. 

Please make breaking up ships valuable then. I would suggest 20-30% of mats needed to build a ship. Now it is more like 1.7%.

4 minutes ago, Slamz said:

you went to 1st rate........... No one even done anything in a 1st rate really yet. you can't even get to that level with the Chasity belt that they put on us. 

4 minutes ago, Daguse said:

The thing is this is a game, you have players and AI ships. If they are tried the same, players will attack AI ships for the easy money, once that happens everyone is rich beyond their wildest dreams. 

So the devs set the AI ships to grey, great you should get the money for a grey ship. If you attack a player and get a blue ship, you should get the money for a blue ship. If capping the ship is costing you more coin then you gain from it then just don't do it. 

I'm sick of seeing players running AI missions all day just to get money to by the next ship. Doing that means no PVP, and makes the game boring as hello kitty. 

I am sick of it to but they have made it even worse with only way you get anything is with a Kill

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daguse said:

Exactly my point, just don't think everyone wants it that way... PVP should be worth it. Making PVE gain you the same amount of cash and XP as PVP means it is not worth the risk. 

Now if your talking PVP vs PVE servers then scaling and tweaking will need to be done. 

PVP should be way way worth more than PVE end of story. Problem is it is not.

1 minute ago, JobaSet said:

you went to 1st rate........... No one even done anything in a 1st rate really yet. you can't even get to that level with the Chasity belt that they put on us. 

I am sick of it to but they have made it even worse with only way you get anything is with a Kill

Wait, they made a game about the golden age of sail, with warring nations, and yet they made it worse by saying the only way to get anything is by killing? I'm not seeing the problem here. 

Just now, JobaSet said:

PVP should be way way worth more than PVE end of story. Problem is it is not.

But it is, you get a better ship/goods for capping and better XP and Coin for killing. Yes, it may need to be tweaked, but saying PVE should be just as good doesn't help at all. 

Just now, Daguse said:

Wait, they made a game about the golden age of sail, with warring nations, and yet they made it worse by saying the only way to get anything is by killing? I'm not seeing the problem here. 

Get in a group go kill anything big small not matter if you don't get the kill then you will understand because you just wasted all that time and didn't get a thing. 

4 minutes ago, Slamz said:

Yeah but that's because the old system was awash in money and durability. I always had more ships than I had places to put them, so I just wouldn't waste dock space on a less-than-ideal ship. We would actually build a gold ship and then throw it into the wood chipper if it didn't get the right RNG attributes because "just make another one" was so easy.

Maybe that will still be true but now that ship cost is higher (with cannons) and ships are 1 dura, and hauling is riskier, I'm thinking that maybe a 1/10th-cost captured Frigate might look pretty good, especially if I'm just trying to fill out a fleet and need a sacrificial ship to maybe throw at some enemies. If I can only make or afford 1 Frigate dura per day and I'm losing more than that then I guess I'll buy that low grade captured ship, if for no other reason than something to grind out more cash with.

Just sayin', I can imagine cases where it's going to be useful but it does depend on how the new economy plays out.

True true but that might end up in more gear disparity between beginners and vets, depending on how much better the player made ship is. I mean if a vet has the perfect ship for OS hunting then it's unlikely he will be losing it unless he does something really dumb and risky while running down the beginners who are permanently stuck in their grey ships trying to make ends meet and only rarely take out their perfect ships once they feel very secured that they will likely win against anything they meet? I think once a beginner had golden ship and loses it, he won't settle for a grey ship just to get back to action, he will be off the map until he gets the new gold one, I might be wrong though.

All posts are to be focused on the following topics. All off topic will be removed henceforth.

• Hold load now affects speed and acceleration.
  • Cannons affect hold. (Hold numbers and weights are not final and will be updated more this week).
  • Cannons now can be crafted (workshop required). Longs and carronades can only be crafted by players and are not available from NPCs.
  • Contracts on cannons can be placed now.
  • Military NPCs now sometimes drop repairs as loot
  • Medkit was replaced by RUM (why did not we think of it the first time).
  • Surgeon now needs rum to fix sailors (or cut them). Medkit blueprint eliminated
  • Sugar added to all regions as resource.
  • Pickle and Privateer now require basic cutter to unlock 3rd slot (not lynx and not cutter as before)
  • Boarding preparation growth increased
  • Perk points are given to player faster - you will get 10 perk points 2x earlier.
  • Crew requirement lowered on 4lb,6lb and 12lb carronades
  • Tow to nearest deep water port do not check the hold weight any more
  • 4th rate ports and shallow water regional (county) capitals now spawn national NPCs
  • Redwood logs and forests abandoned; blueprints using redwood now use lignum
  • Pine is merged with Fir and is now Fir from today. Pine logs and forests abandoned, blueprints have changed
  • Fire damage is increased by 25%
  • Split function somewhat improved
  • Several bugs fixed
  • More bugs probably added
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daguse said:

But it is, you get a better ship/goods for capping and better XP and Coin for killing. Yes, it may need to be tweaked, but saying PVE should be just as good doesn't help at all. 

I not saying that, What I have been saying the whole time is its more effective to go PVE Solo than anything in the game right now.  No will PVP at this rate and will hide in port just like they have been.  You get nothing if you do it and win or less than nothing, but if you lose, even more if you lose

Edited by JobaSet

2 minutes ago, JobaSet said:

Get in a group go kill anything big small not matter if you don't get the kill then you will understand because you just wasted all that time and didn't get a thing. 

I think you are missing the point I've tried to make, so I'll re-post it. 

Killing/Capping AI ships should not be the primary source of income for PVP players. 

So again, tell me why killing/Capping AI ships should be worth equal to or greater value then player ships? 

8 minutes ago, JobaSet said:

I not saying that, What I have been saying the whole time is its more effective to go PVE Solo than anything in the game right now.  No will PVP at this rate and will hide in port just like they have been.  You get nothing if you do it and win or less than nothing, but if you lose, even more if you lose

If thats the case, it has nothing to do with the reward from AI fleets and has everything to do with PVP. 

But that is not the argument you took to. 

Edited by Daguse

I think you are missing the point I've tried to make, so I'll re-post it. 

Killing/Capping AI ships should not be the primary source of income for PVP players. 

So again, tell me why killing/Capping AI ships should be worth equal to or greater value then player ships? 

1 minute ago, Daguse said:

If thats the case, it has nothing to do with the reward from AI fleets and has everything to do with PVP. 

But that is not the argument you took to. 

It Dose not mater if it is PVP or PVE if you cap a Ship you don't get anything but and expense of replacing your crew.  Who is going to do this with no way of a net gain it will always I mean Always a be lose.  No XP, No Marks, No money for anyone in the group.  Maybe if everyone is in 1st rate you get a good ship.  And that going to happen a lot lol.  I am betting the new 70% crew thing is going to stop capping 1st rate cold in it tracks, you wont even be able to leave with a 1st rate in your fleet I see it that coming now as a way to control PVP and PVE.  We are talking 4th 

2 minutes ago, JobaSet said:

It Dose not mater if it is PVP or PVE if you cap a Ship you don't get anything but and expense of replacing your crew.  Who is going to do this with no way of a net gain it will always I mean Always a be lose.  No XP, No Marks, No money for anyone in the group.  Maybe if everyone is in 1st rate you get a good ship.  And that going to happen a lot lol.  I am betting the new 70% crew thing is going to stop capping 1st rate cold in it tracks, you wont even be able to leave with a 1st rate in your fleet I see it that coming now as a way to control PVP and PVE.  We are talking 4th 

So that means adjustments need to be made to the XP/Coin/Marks of PVP.

However I stand by my remarks that capping AI ships should not be the primary source of income. You have yet to tell me why you believe it should be. 

37 minutes ago, Daguse said:

So that means adjustments need to be made to the XP/Coin/Marks of PVP.

However I stand by my remarks that capping AI ships should not be the primary source of income. You have yet to tell me why you believe it should be. 

So as I primary PVP and if I enjoy capturing ships I am made/forced to do trade runs as my only means to make money, XP, or marks.  

old system

• Missions XP,Money Marks
  • Open world PVE XP,Money Marks
  • PvP Hunting traders XP,Money Marks
  • PVP warships ver Warships XP,Money Marks
  • National goods trader Money 
  • Craft Money 
  •  Crafted goods trader Money

New system

• Missions (going away)
  • Open world PVE( nothing if you are a capper)
  • PvP Hunting traders(nothing as trader will 99% of time dump cargo) (Might get a gold ship I will have to keep for my self so I can trade odds wont happen)
  • PVP warships ver Warships (Nothing as I prob already have best ship for task I am doing, don't need that ship) But someone might buy it maybe
  • National goods trader (Gone or close enough to gone)
  • Craft (No money no crafting)
  •  Crafted goods trader Money huge risk
  • As a Capture boat I will never get a KILL in a group as My reload is way to slow.  And will be shuned since if I cap a boat no1 gets marks,xp, or money. So no one will group with me 

In NEW system I do not make marks or XP as a Capper and only 2 ways to make any money. 

and Don't forget I spend more money than you every engagement for my crew

Edited by JobaSet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaos said:

emm seriously ? pver's on pvp will find that there is no more market for their capped npc ships therefore free money printing gone with the real value being in player crafted ships and they actually have to cap them from other players now if they want to skip crafting them, trading being turned into player to player and no more free handouts and magical euro traders to always guarantee a contract fill? Oh and when they want to trade between ports they actually have to be on the map being a target and not just tp through their outposts doing risk free trading? I am not talking about pve server but the pvers that have decided to make pvp server their home.

Well you have to also add in the cost of player made ships vs. your captured ship sale.  On testbed you can't just pop up a level 3SY and build ship like we used to.   Just a L2SY is the gold plus 1000 oak, 1000 iron fittings and 500 stone block.  An L3SY will be beyond a lot of solo players. Further the Workshop that will now craft the cannon is even MORE expensive to build than an L3SY. The result will be less hard core ship builders and very expensive ships. So when you put up that cheap captured ship that already has guns on it many players will have to think.  "I need a combat ship right now. I only have x3 skills unlocked on the Tricomelee.  If I buy a captured Tricom I only get on slot but it's a fourth the price of the built one". You will probably start to see a lot of player just buy your cheap ship and run out into combat x4 times for the same price as X1 time player built.  So it's probably not going to be that bad.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JobaSet said:

New system

• Missions (going away)
  • Open world PVE( nothing if you are a capper)
  • PvP Hunting traders(nothing as trader will 99% of time dump cargo) (Might get a gold ship I will have to keep for my self so I can trade odds wont happen)
  • PVP warships ver Warships (Nothing as I prob already have best ship for task I am doing, don't need that ship) But someone might buy it maybe
  • National goods trader (Gone or close enough to gone)
  • Craft (No money no crafting)
  •  Crafted goods trader Money huge risk
  • As a Capture boat I will never get a KILL in a group as My reload is way to slow.  And will be shuned since if I cap a boat no1 gets marks,xp, or money. So no one will group with me 

How to Fix for capture boats

• Missions Gone
  • Open world PVE
    • I cap a boat I get kill XP,Money Marks
    • I cap a boat boat is worth the amount of men my ship lost if sunk in BS
  • PvP Hunting traders
    •  XP,Money Marks
    • I cap a boat I get kill XP, Money & Marks
    • I cap a boat boat is worth the amount of men my ship lost if sunk BS
  • PVP warships ver Warships 
    •  XP,Money Marks
    • I cap a boat I get kill XP, Money & Marks
    • I cap a boat boat is worth the amount of men my ship lost if sunk BS
  • National goods trader Gone
  • Craft 
    • I actually can do this when I want NOW
  •  Crafted goods trader 
    • I actually can do this when I want NOW
  • As a Capture boat no one will want to group with me.
    • Kills and Asssit give the same xp, marks & money 
Edited by JobaSet

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

They really aren't that costly. I have every thing to make a 4th rate just waiting for my stupid stone mine to catch up and get the 500 stones I need for a level 2 shipyard.   They really aren't that costly if you just work at it.

You'll be waiting a bit more. You need level 3 for a 4th rate. Wait till you see the stone cost for that one. :)