Game-Labs Forum

Ambush, Ganking or just real life play?

Now I sail solo mainly, looking for opportunities to fight, plunder and generally have a good time.

I have played Brits, French, Spanish and my beloved Pirates but can't really settle anywhere as I am more of an Outlaw, not really wanting to belong to any 'Nation' as such.

I have heard a lot of cries of "not fair, gankers, fleeters, chainers, seal clubbers, cowards" etc on the chat since day one and would like to share the following experience.

If you play PVP then you must realize that there is never going to be a level playing field. You will rarely come across a similar BR, or similar setup situation to your self and real life is also like that.

I sail by my own code. I rarely use chain. I warn low ranked players of all nations about fleets ahead and never attack an under-crewed, low rank captain who dares to venture beyond his safe zone. I often release bested captains with a salute, rather than sink them if they fought with honour. I love jumping in on a battle to help the underdog. But that's me, and each to their own. (Its a mean world out there).

Last night after leaving Spain and hoisting the Jolly Roger again, (Charles III misunderstood a compromising position he found me in with  Maira Amalia of Saxony and tried to have me executed, ruining my hat in the process) I was happily sailing in my Connie, when I spied an Spanish Endymion, ( thinking he may have an apology from Charles III for my hat, I approached) and whump! 4 more frigates appeared from The mist, (log out screen) and so began a furious chase.

Now I entered battle with them and predictably chain rained in on me (yawn) and I was lined up for a boarding by the designated (doesn't do anything else because he cant shoot a damn) boarding guy. So using cunning and guile I managed to escape. (I ran faster than them) and on escaping felt great and gave an unseen mini fist pump!!!!

As I sat there in the darkness of the after battle screen feeling rather superior I started thinking......

I am used to this, sailing solo as I do and I love the fear of what's around the next Island, the near misses, the chases.... etc 

BUT:

Was this a Gank? 

Was this fair? 

Was this an abuse of the game mechanics?

Did this upset me?

Well............ no...... and........... not really.

First off this tactic does not bother me, although this is becoming more common and I think it hurts newer less thick skinned players. Using the Log out like this is dubious but the DEVS to their credit have done what they can with that and people will always find a way.

Being outnumbered, well that's OK too, I was also sailing OW hunting others and became the hunted, fair enough I think.

But what do these players get out of this.....

1. It cant be challenging for them.

2. Its a share in a 1/5th of a kill.

3. They spend hours of sitting in a log out screen waiting for someone to tell you to attack an outnumbered foe.

4. They gain a reputation of being a low life ganker and feeling like a turd.

5. There is the very real possibility of being embarrassed by defeat if the 'ambush' goes wrong.

6. There is no mini fist pump moments.

7. I have heard these same players bemoan the lack of PVP??

My message to those that play like this:

Guys and Gals, untie yourselves from the fear of unequal defeat, loose your sails and head out looking for adventure and fame! 

Its a big world out there...you really should try and enjoy it. 

Don't fear defeat for when it goes your way............ you get that mini fist pump moment.

• Like 16

I think the main thing is that people are fed up with it. As you said yourself these guys aren't looking for an unbalanced encoutner they itnentionally try to jump enemies that they can beat up with as little challenge to it as possible and to do so are willign to exploit any possible mechanic available to them (logout, alts, etc.) It also becoems a problem seeing 5-10 people jump on single person. I personally ahve absolutely no problem fighting 1vs3 but when half the french nation (I escaped a 1vs 13 once...) tries to fight me alone it starts being a bit of a pisstake.

Btw historically you are only partially right. Fights were often unfair and the numbers were also often unbalanced however this stayed within even for this game reasonable limits due to the circumstances given. For a chase the ships took several hours up to several days during which not only a single shot could put the enemy into a crappy situation but alsot eh wind etc. That always worked both ways. In addition the numbers could enver get too high. 2-3vs1-2 often happened but beyond that it is uncommon to see any 'real life gankfests'. Ships that traveled in bigger battlegroups often had different sailing capabilities. At some point during such a long chase the big ships would either fall behind thinning out the numbers or the chase had to be aborted if the battlegroup was more important. So the circumstances alone left the situation somewhat managable.

Sadly we don't see this ingame - often you are being attacked by ships with exploits (logouts, etc) and in nubmers that are just ridiculous. The funny thing is that these guys fail to udnerstand that their gameplay not only hurts the game by eliminating palyers who are fed up with encountering this on a daily basis but they also fail to help their nation. Not only are these five ships wasted on a lone enemy they are also not active in RvR or any actual trade disruption and they fail to prepare themselves for real fights.

I ahve tsaid this nearly a year ago - catering to the gankers is not a viable long term strategy. Usually at least one person doesn't enjoy a gank and may eventually leave the game. Once the targets are gone or the gankers are bored they ahve to turn to real fights. They will lose due to a lack of experience and skill and leave the game as well - in the end you lost both the normal players and the gankers.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JollyRoger1516 said:

I think the main thing is that people are fed up with it. As you said yourself these guys aren't looking for an unbalanced encoutner they itnentionally try to jump enemies that they can beat up with as little challenge to it as possible and to do so are willign to exploit any possible mechanic available to them (logout, alts, etc.) It also becoems a problem seeing 5-10 people jump on single person. I personally ahve absolutely no problem fighting 1vs3 but when half the french nation (I escaped a 1vs 13 once...) tries to fight me alone it starts being a bit of a pisstake.

Btw historically you are only partially right. Fights were often unfair and the numbers were also often unbalanced however this stayed within even for this game reasonable limits due to the circumstances given. For a chase the ships took several hours up to several days during which not only a single shot could put the enemy into a crappy situation but alsot eh wind etc. That always worked both ways. In addition the numbers could enver get too high. 2-3vs1-2 often happened but beyond that it is uncommon to see any 'real life gankfests'. Ships that traveled in bigger battlegroups often had different sailing capabilities. At some point during such a long chase the big ships would either fall behind thinning out the numbers or the chase had to be aborted if the battlegroup was more important. So the circumstances alone left the situation somewhat managable.

Sadly we don't see this ingame - often you are being attacked by ships with exploits (logouts, etc) and in nubmers that are just ridiculous. The funny thing is that these guys fail to udnerstand that their gameplay not only hurts the game by eliminating palyers who are fed up with encountering this on a daily basis but they also fail to help their nation. Not only are these five ships wasted on a lone enemy they are also not active in RvR or any actual trade disruption and they fail to prepare themselves for real fights.

I ahve tsaid this nearly a year ago - catering to the gankers is not a viable long term strategy. Usually at least one person doesn't enjoy a gank and may eventually leave the game. Once the targets are gone or the gankers are bored they ahve to turn to real fights. They will lose due to a lack of experience and skill and leave the game as well - in the end you lost both the normal players and the gankers.

Totally agree.

I really dont know what satisfaction they get from playing like this.

The thrill of the chase was all mine and the eventual escape but even if they had sunk me, would they have enjoyed it as much as me? I doubt it.

Playing like this is missing so much that this game has to offer. Its a shame that players allow themselves to join these groups and miss out on so much.

Point 1: you have no clue of what happened yesterday.

Point 2: you were sailing an undercrewed connie (250men)

Point 3: We set sail from La Navasse and we did not log out, so I can't understand why you are acussing us for doing that.... You should have seen us clearly but is more "cool" if you pretend to have scaped from us in global chat and now here in the forums. ( hahaha, 5 spanish in frigates and I scaped--> that's what you wrote in global chat)

Point 4: I was in the renommee, you targeted me, so we did not attack you. We had a reno, 2 surprises,1 endy and a consti. I was the closest ship to yours and I could have shot your sails if I wanted to, but instead, I saw you were undercrewed and decided it would be a waste of time. But remember, I was in a renommee and could keep you in battle if I wanted to..... I was tired of the game and did not shoot at you. After that "battle", we went to La Navasse and closed the game.

Now you open this thread here in the forum and what is its purpose? If we have sunk you, maybe I could understand but instead, even though we let you go here you are complaining.

If you are sailing near La Navasse, what do you expect? Next time you may not have the same luck.

For the portuguese: if you are so proud of your skills, why do you need 10 or more ships to fight 3 of us? You have a big mouth but only here in the forums. Come to La Habana as some do, and we will see if you are so skilled. By the way, you are a COWARD.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _Alucard_ said:

Point 3: We set sail from La Navasse and we did not log out, so I can't understand why you are acussing us for doing that.... You should have seen us clearly but is more "cool" if you pretend to have scaped from us in global chat and now here in the forums. ( hahaha, 5 spanish in frigates and I scaped--> that's what you wrote in global chat)

Point 4: I was in the renommee, you targeted me, so we did not attack you. We had a reno, 2 surprises,1 endy and a consti. I was the closest ship to yours and I could have shot your sails if I wanted to, but instead, I saw you were undercrewed and decided it would be a waste of time. But remember, I was in a renommee and could keep you in battle if I wanted to..... I was tired of the game and did not shoot at you. After that "battle", we went to La Navasse and closed the game.

Now you open this thread here in the forum and what is its purpose? If we have sunk you, maybe I could understand but instead, even though we let you go here you are complaining.

If you are sailing near La Navasse, what do you expect? Next time you may not have the same luck.

For the portuguese: if you are so proud of your skills, why do you need 10 or more ships to fight 3 of us? You have a big mouth but only here in the forums. Come to La Habana as some do, and we will see if you are so skilled. By the way, you are a COWARD.  

Rubbish.

Listen, I had finished a battle and was on my way back to Navasse.  Yes undercrewed from fighting. But so what.

You chased my for at least 5 mins in open world. I mentoned you were chasing me on global chat because I found it silly.

It I who defensively tagged your Ren, to drag you into the battle to escape from you there. You then attempted to chase me and chain me for another 10 mins in battle but you failed. Your Ren kept firing until I was out of range. I left the screen not you.

Live with it. You win some you lose some.

Personally I wouldnt try and catch a single undercrewed Connie with 5 ships but hey, there you go. 

Also I clearly said that what you did yesterday I did not find wrong and I did not have a problem with gankers like you. But I asked Why you would bother??

My point was not directed at any nation and I used this as an example. If your upset by what happened then maybe I hit a nerve.

Edited by Honourable Bluetooth

2 hours ago, _Alucard_ said:

I already have been at La Habana, and was clan VLTRA that ran from Otto Kohl, me and other brit. And a spanish calling coward to a portuguese it's a joke :)

1 hour ago, Cabral said:

I already have been at La Habana, and was clan VLTRA that ran from Otto Kohl, me and other brit. And a spanish calling coward to a portuguese it's a joke :)

You are a joke. 

And a spanish calling coward to a portuguese it's a joke

I still say the same. You are a coward

42 minutes ago, _Alucard_ said:

You are a joke. 

I still say the same. You are a coward

You need to calm your tits. This kind of attitude and behaviour is why there is abrely any respect for Spanish and French hunting groups. Even if it is true that the circumstances were different then described the way you handle the accusation reminds me of a 6 year old.

• Like 1

I love hearing after action reports. I don't mind being ganked as long as I can see them. A few weeks ago I was in the belle poule....saw a trinc chasing me and thought..."hey why not?". We entered the battle instance for to find he had 4 friends with him. What a crock. I should have at LEAST been able to see them in open world to know what I was getting myself into. I don't mind losing....but I'd at least like to know when I need to run!! It's just bad game mechanics at that point in my opinion. 

I also had had a fantastic pirate spar with me off of port royal. A true gentleman. He taught me so much about PVP. I learned more from him in a few hours than I had in my entire previous year of playing.  I can't remember his screen name but a cannon salute to that captain for sure. 

GB

HUTCH78

(in game name)

• Like 4

I'd wish that with the new patch the marks awarded after combat are based on the BR difference - in the manner of military awards - bestowing more marks for tougher fights to encourage those and discourage 10v1 situations.

8 hours ago, Aegir said:

I'd wish that with the new patch the marks awarded after combat are based on the BR difference - in the manner of military awards - bestowing more marks for tougher fights to encourage those and discourage 10v1 situations.

I agree, we have won way more fights that we should of lost when we didn't have the BR and this would show you that you did hard owned work cause of it.   I kinda think it should be a modifier for the rewards not a flat out things to keep from abuse of alt/char grindings to get marks.  

On 4/2/2017 at 5:34 PM, Ehutchin78 said:

I love hearing after action reports. . 

GB

HUTCH78

(in game name)

What always cracks me up is when some one post the other side of the story.  We been in some fights and one thing happen or the other.  Than some one goes and brags about the results in there nation chat or even global and it's nothing like what the actual battle results are.  It's why we screen shot every thing.   Get me not had folks say I ganked them and tagged them until I should the screen shot that there 5 vs 5 (me and my AI on his story) was actually   Me and my Fleet and a bunch of shallow water ships vs 5 guys with AI's they forgot to count so they actual had about 10 equal rank ships not 5.   We like to call that math 'DUTCH.' math.  Where you add up what numbers and only use the ones you want to use out of the stats and numbers.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 8:08 AM, Honourable Bluetooth said:

Now I sail solo mainly, looking for opportunities to fight, plunder and generally have a good time.

I have played Brits, French, Spanish and my beloved Pirates but can't really settle anywhere as I am more of an Outlaw, not really wanting to belong to any 'Nation' as such.

I have heard a lot of cries of "not fair, gankers, fleeters, chainers, seal clubbers, cowards" etc on the chat since day one and would like to share the following experience.

If you play PVP then you must realize that there is never going to be a level playing field. You will rarely come across a similar BR, or similar setup situation to your self and real life is also like that.

I sail by my own code. I rarely use chain. I warn low ranked players of all nations about fleets ahead and never attack an under-crewed, low rank captain who dares to venture beyond his safe zone. I often release bested captains with a salute, rather than sink them if they fought with honour. I love jumping in on a battle to help the underdog. But that's me, and each to their own. (Its a mean world out there).

Last night after leaving Spain and hoisting the Jolly Roger again, (Charles III misunderstood a compromising position he found me in with  Maira Amalia of Saxony and tried to have me executed, ruining my hat in the process) I was happily sailing in my Connie, when I spied an Spanish Endymion, ( thinking he may have an apology from Charles III for my hat, I approached) and whump! 4 more frigates appeared from The mist, (log out screen) and so began a furious chase.

Now I entered battle with them and predictably chain rained in on me (yawn) and I was lined up for a boarding by the designated (doesn't do anything else because he cant shoot a damn) boarding guy. So using cunning and guile I managed to escape. (I ran faster than them) and on escaping felt great and gave an unseen mini fist pump!!!!

As I sat there in the darkness of the after battle screen feeling rather superior I started thinking......

I am used to this, sailing solo as I do and I love the fear of what's around the next Island, the near misses, the chases.... etc 

BUT:

Was this a Gank? 

Was this fair? 

Was this an abuse of the game mechanics?

Did this upset me?

Well............ no...... and........... not really.

First off this tactic does not bother me, although this is becoming more common and I think it hurts newer less thick skinned players. Using the Log out like this is dubious but the DEVS to their credit have done what they can with that and people will always find a way.

Being outnumbered, well that's OK too, I was also sailing OW hunting others and became the hunted, fair enough I think.

But what do these players get out of this.....

1. It cant be challenging for them.

2. Its a share in a 1/5th of a kill.

3. They spend hours of sitting in a log out screen waiting for someone to tell you to attack an outnumbered foe.

4. They gain a reputation of being a low life ganker and feeling like a turd.

5. There is the very real possibility of being embarrassed by defeat if the 'ambush' goes wrong.

6. There is no mini fist pump moments.

7. I have heard these same players bemoan the lack of PVP??

My message to those that play like this:

Guys and Gals, untie yourselves from the fear of unequal defeat, loose your sails and head out looking for adventure and fame! 

Its a big world out there...you really should try and enjoy it. 

Don't fear defeat for when it goes your way............ you get that mini fist pump moment.

Everything you did was fair and on the level and correct.  Unfortunately the game has taken a turn for " arena " "balanced match maker" and everyone getting a trophy. 

I played as a pirate for a year and made tens of millions of gold off my conquest of the stupid. No matter if i was in a 9 gun or 12 gun ship against a 1st rate or a trade cutter i was always the bully mean meany meanerson who everyone hated and sent me messages of rage.

When the game was more open and realistic i have toadmit i loved being probably the most hated pirate on the server and logged in daily to messages from Imperial players promising my clan of 3 would be eliminated lol. 

Bottom line OP is you should be able to attack anyone anywhere in any ship.  People dont have a God given right to not be attacked. If you want to attack 5 people with 1 or you where attacked by 5 and you where 1 its all fair.

I was acused of ganking all the time and anyone who remembers my clan and i where a whopping 3 people and we seldom sailedtogether. 

Just play whats left of the game.

Gank on my man, gank on.

Edited by Mrdoomed
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrdoomed said:

I played as a pirate for a year and made tens of millions of gold off my conquest of the stupid. No matter if i was in a 9 gun or 12 gun ship against a 1st rate or a trade cutter i was always the bully mean meany meanerson who everyone hated and sent me messages of rage.

Man, I'm so impressed to see a veteran of this game who also is a great player. I'm relatively new and my skills will never match yours, as I don't believe I can ever take a 1st rate with a 9 gun ship!

I will just have to accept the fact that stupid players like myself will be the object of conquest for ever by mean meany meanerson (whatever that is) skilled veteran bullies.

Gank on my man, gank on.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AngryPanCake said:

Man, I'm so impressed to see a veteran of this game who also is a great player. I'm relatively new and my skills will never match yours, as I don't believe I can ever take a 1st rate with a 9 gun ship!

I will just have to accept the fact that stupid players like myself will be the object of conquest for ever by mean meany meanerson (whatever that is) skilled veteran bullies.

Gank on my man, gank on.

Sarcasm or not fret not because my type was run off. The 40 real players left are the true heros lol

I'm actually laughing for real!!! For a second I was worried you did not get the sarcasm when I got the notification you liked my post, but I see you did and you seem to be good sport about it.

I hope the 40 real players get what they bargained for along with the majority of the new players.

Anyway, I hope our paths cross in PvE and get the chance to trade some mats or uniquely crafted ships.

Have fun man, have fun.

I also:

1. like hardcore PVP;

2. sail solo;

3. have no provlems with gankers;

I don't bother with Midshipman or Ensights sailing whatever, but if its a Commondor or Rear Admiral I will try to sink his ass even if he is in basic cutter. And whats up with not attacking undercrewed ships or not shooting sails??? I mainly sail Reno when solo and killing undercrewed Connie or Belona in Reno is a legit business. Also shooting sails allows me to turn heavier ships into irons.

I thought you said there are no rules in OW?

And yes, I let players go if I see they are clearly newbs. More so I have paid 100 times more gold to newbs than I sunk them...

But if you are an experienced player there is one rule only. Your preparation was done in port. Out in OW there are no rules.

If you forgot repairs, thats your problem. If you forgot guns thats your problem. If you havent reset your officer and forgot upgrades thats your problem. If you forgor medkits and sail undercrewed, thats your mistake and I will capitalize on every single one of them. The only way to teach you to sail prepared...

Edited by koltes
  • Like 3

On 07/04/2017 at 9:12 PM, koltes said:

I also:

1. like hardcore PVP;

2. sail solo;

3. have no provlems with gankers;

I don't bother with Midshipman or Ensights sailing whatever, but if its a Commondor or Rear Admiral I will try to sink his ass even if he is in basic cutter. And whats up with not attacking undercrewed ships or not shooting sails??? I mainly sail Reno when solo and killing undercrewed Connie or Belona in Reno is a legit business. Also shooting sails allows me to turn heavier ships into irons.

I thought you said there are no rules in OW?

And yes, I let players go if I see they are clearly newbs. More so I have paid 100 times more gold to newbs than I sunk them...

But if you are an experienced player there is one rule only. Your preparation was done in port. Out in OW there are no rules.

If you forgot repairs, thats your problem. If you forgot guns thats your problem. If you havent reset your officer and forgot upgrades thats your problem. If you forgor medkits and sail undercrewed, thats your mistake and I will capitalize on every single one of them. The only way to teach you to sail prepared...

Each to their own.

I don't like sail fights because chain and demast is so overpower full and unrealistic in the game it's spoils the battle imo.

Also my post was very specific about undercrewed ships and newbs. Not experienced players after a battle etc. I like to fight with a challange, flee when losing, rejoice in victory and leave the other player feeling like they would like to fight against some day.

But thanks for the insight into what you do.

Edited by Honourable Bluetooth

3 minutes ago, Ned Loe said:

I feel you. I am myself can't wait for an Outlaw class. Glad to see people alike still exist. 

Unfortunately Ned I feel that the game is headed more down the WOW and big clan route...but let's hope solo outlaws can prevail.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Honourable Bluetooth said:

Unfortunately Ned I feel that the game is headed more down the WOW and big clan route...but let's hope solo outlaws can prevail.

We do. Let them clans have the glory. We get the loot. and the thrill of the hunt, the facing the odds and prevailing.

• Like 3

Lads!  Come and set sail with your old friend Smiling Jack!  Sail under the Black Flag, get 10% of me plunder, you will have all the Rum and Girls you and your crew can handle, and we will send every Frenchie, we come across to Davy Jones Locker!  Yo-Ho-Ho!

• Like 2