Game-Labs Forum

Is HEELING bugged atm ??

Sir Max Magic

Hi Guys,

as title says: is there something wrong with heeling ??

Since a few weeks, i can build and sail 1st and 2nd rate Ships, as the Buccanteure and the Victory, and i was shocked how much they heel...even with Live Oak which should reduce the heeling to a certain degree !! :(

As i having not so much experiences on the Victory or Buccanteure, i cant compare whether one of the last patches introduced more heeling ???

...but for my taste, the heeling feeled a bit off, both are very heavy stable gun platforms and the heeling reminded me nevertheless on a Trincomalee

So i decided to build 2 nearly identical Victorys:

- one with Live Oak BUILD STRENGTH and Strong Hull

- the other with Live Oak STIFFNESS Strong Hull

When already Live Oak should reduce the heeling to a certain degree, following the books, the Stiffness Victory should heel much lesser than the Build Strength one, which was NOT the case:

Both were heeling up to 6°...

Then i decided to put a Gold Optimized Ballast on the Stiffness Victory...this should reduce the heeling to a nearly not noticeable degree but i didnt noticed any difference to the empty Build Strength Vic

Nothing what should reduce heeling seems to have any noticeable effect...

Do you made the same experiences??

I was sailing a new Victory I just built last night. Like you, I was experiencing about 6° of heel in small seas...seems a little bit excessive for a heavy first rate. I have not noticed whether the exceptional optimized ballast is working as it used to or not (I only use it on a Trincomalee, and I always run trimming expert when I sail that ship). 

I will say this about heel: depower to furl all your fore-and-aft sails and haul your square sails around to luff (be flat with the wind) and you will flatten right out in most ships. Don't forget to repower and set your square sails to draw again after you shoot. If you plan your broadsides right, this is all one fluid motion, from the depower, through the broadside, then repower and reposition. Some ships do seem to need more sail management than others.

PS: That LO BS Strong Hull Victory is my favorite first rate build-If you put the right upgrades on it, you can beat ANY other first rate in a duel with that ship :ph34r::D

The Vict does seem to heel a lot.  Here is one way to help.  BATTLE SAILS.   Every one keeps there sails up at full and wonder why they got to use depower.  You have every freaking sail out at full force to pick up the wind and that is a lot of wind it does.  Drop it to battle sails like you should be in battles any way and you will notice a big difference.

28 minutes ago, Angus McGregor said:

Beyond advice for how to lessen heeling in any ship... what everyone seems to be side stepping is his suspicion that stiff build and optimized ballast don't seem to be having any effect on heel for his Vic's

Thanks mate !!

Just wanted to answer on the other posts when i saw yours :P

Yeah, exactly that is the point:

NOT that the heel feels to be excessive for a LO 1st Rate, it is that building the same ship with STIFFNESS and equipping it even further with Gold Opt. Ballast seems to have NO effect at all :(

Stiffness should reduce by the books the heel for 5 and Gold Opt. Ballast for 10...but of what ??? Degree or percent ??

Okay, for Gold Opt. Ballast it says 10 PERCENT in the tooltip...but does this really mean 10 PERCENT ??? Because 10% of a maximum heel of 6 is 0,6... which is barely noticeable...dont know whether Stiffness is absolute or also percentage ??

...but IF both were really meant to be percentage, then the perk Trimming Expert reducing Heel by an amount of 3 degrees ABSOLUT seems a bit off...

That would mean that a SINGLE perk of 1 point would be much more effective than the combination of a maximum optimized build with choosing the right Wood Type, best Hull Trim AND an Gold Upgrade !! :( :huh: 

...i am confused :wacko:

Following this logic, a Fir build Victory should capsize :P:D:lol:

Edited by Sir Max Magic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HachiRoku said:

6 degrees heel is not that bad and if I remember correctly the vic always heeled a good bit. It give a ship character and in cases like the trinc and the vic you can us it to your advantage if you are up against smaller ships.  

Thats right mate...but does noone knows exactly whether Stiffness and Opt. Ballast works currently the way it should by the books ???

Any Dev maybe ???

Because i didnt experienced any reducing in heeling when using stiffness fitted ships instead of Build Strength fitted ones...even Gold Opt. Ballast didnt reduced the heel in my tests... :wacko: :o

Stiffness best effect on heeling is noticeable on a prolonged hard turn, say from a 270º to 90º.

It will not heel as much and in effect retain more speed at the end of the turn if compared with a non stiff ship.

Very noticeable on any of the schooners Lynx and Privateer, but give their size and running line it might be the reason why is noticeable.

On a Surprise I don't remember noticing it that much of a difference.

Hope it helps.