Game-Labs Forum

Random Fire checkbox

Even after thousands of hours into the game I keep messing up my rakes because of random fire in every fight at least once. yes, i know, I suck.

I would love to have a checkbox in the Menue where i can totally disable the "Random Fire Mode" completely, so it never appears. 

I think many players would love that option. Random fire is only used in very very specific situations anyway, and it's not even really needed there. 

• Like 11

Counterpoint, random fire isn't random at all and should be the main used type.

As admin posted originally (years ago now), random is a carefully calculated pattern of guns firing 1-2-3-4-5-6 as the ship rolls in order to produce a reliable spread of shot. Somewhat similar to a shotgun, aiming individual pellets or cannon balls is not viable at any sort of range, but by firing a deliberate pattern you can ensure hitting the enemy with a sizable amount of shot from each broadside.

Meanwhile firing bow to stern or stern to bow is 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15, because you are taking 2 and a half times as long to fire vertical dispersion goes completely out the window due to the ship rolling, not to mention that most gunners will be firing blinded by smoke from the cannon fired before. Vertical dispersion absolutely shot, horizontal dispersion pretty bad, bow to stern would only be usable at short range for raking or when locked broadside to broadside.

• Like 1

Counterpoint, random fire isn't random at all and should be the main used type.

As admin posted originally (years ago now), random is a carefully calculated pattern of guns firing 1-2-3-4-5-6 as the ship rolls in order to produce a reliable spread of shot. Somewhat similar to a shotgun, aiming individual pellets or cannon balls is not viable at any sort of range, but by firing a deliberate pattern you can ensure hitting the enemy with a sizable amount of shot from each broadside.

Meanwhile firing bow to stern or stern to bow is 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15, because you are taking 2 and a half times as long to fire vertical dispersion goes completely out the window due to the ship rolling, not to mention that most gunners will be firing blinded by smoke from the cannon fired before. Vertical dispersion absolutely shot, horizontal dispersion pretty bad, bow to stern would only be usable at short range for raking or when locked broadside to broadside.

True but ship rolling doesn't effect the aim while firing. With the current system random is quiet useless.

• Like 3

random at the current stage of game is useless, that would be more usefull if it got a firing speed bonus, id like to have a command to fire all cannons at the same time or at least very poor difference between cannons. i mean the captain say FIRE! and all men light up the cannons almost at the same time... seems realistic no?

a random broadside fire is cool, but useless if it last as the front fire or back fire one.

i suggest a 2x speed bonus in broadside lenght: so if a front fire mode broadside in a 3rd rate take 7 second, with random fire mode it will take 3,5 sec and so on;

what do u think about this?

• Like 3

i suggest a 2x speed bonus in broadside lenght: so if a front fire mode broadside in a 3rd rate take 7 second, with random fire mode it will take 3,5 sec and so on;

what do u think about this?

I suggested this as a perk that wouldn't mess with the game, but nooooooooo, we got DD, pirate, coward and all that disruptive stuff instead.

Random has a lot of uses, from distance fire to the guns stuck up the enemy gun ports.

No ship would ever fire a synchronized one tempo salvo. Batteries had their own cadence and when a full volley was ordered they had a trained sequence.

Not sure if the stagger discharge we have in game is entirely correct but it surely is credible.

Having the option, was a captain of a ship, to never give the command is quite viable.

Maybe have both rolling fire in the V key and the fire broadside key, both [ and ] i think, being the full volley aka random.