Game-Labs Forum

Dumping cargo, giving cargo, destroying cargo?

During a battle yesterday when I lost my trader's brig with some cargo I realized that aspect of the game (trader player getting robbed by players) could be improved upon:

- firstly, the battle (me trying to run away actually) lasted for over 30 minutes. There was no incentive for me to surrender because that would mean losing everything anyway. A nice option would be the ability to offer part of the cargo to the attackers in return for them letting you continue on your way.

- another nice option would be the ability to dump cargo or part of it overboard with a timer on it. So the enemy can choose whether to stop and loot it (with lowering sails and a cooldown like looting a wreck) or to continue the chase and lose it. That way traders get a chance to run away by sacrificing part of the cargo.

- the one I really wanted to have yesterday was the ability to destroy cargo and/or sink my own ship. But that was because after 2 hours of sailing I lost everything literally 2 minutes from my goal. just pissed off a bit for wasting 2 hours of my life on nothing (except a good lesson). So that one would be a bad idea to implement.  :P

Edited by Todbringer
  • Like 5

Remember if you surrender you don't loose your crew or officer lives.   

Though I agree it would be nice to have an option to surrender and give a ransom to keep part of your cargo and ship and go on your marry way.  It's not like the warships can carry every thing.  This would be great to imploment if they forced you to sale your prize ships back instead of magically telporting them back to a port.   

Unless it's a small trader most cargo is in a hold and would be hard to actually just dump over board.  The things that get dumped are smaller contraband not the full cargo hold.

Fireship is kinda this option but hay who is going to put that mod on all there traders, specially when most the times I get away cause I'm speed fitted to run on most my shallow water traders.  The LVG on the other hand are made to be slow and full of MARINES for counter boarding lol

By all means, dump your cargo if it makes you feel better. One thing is for sure, it is not about the loot itself, it is about having fun with a specific "trade raider" playstyle :)

What I would like to see implemented is two fold:

- Option to return ship to owner in the Battle Screen, in the right click menu alongside the Sink option.

- some sort of Trade option in the Battle Screen, as this would help to share loot between a group of raiders

• Like 6

Especially the second point should be introduced. When you hunt as a group, one gets the loot, but can't carry away all of it and has destroy it, if he does not want to sail the capped trader, while the rest of the group has empty holds.

That's quite unpleasant.

You know most ships where loaded with huge cranes and hoists with nets and carried on board by animals right ?

Unless you are loaded with pillows or chicken eggs or something it would be highly unlikely to start dumping your cargo considering you couldn't lift half of it, not to mention if you threw off the balance of weight you could list or worse.

Dumping your full cargo would be damn near impossible.

• Like 1