Game-Labs Forum

Diplomacy may not be a good idea

fox2run

I'm not sure we can do much about it. It's human nature to gang up. Comes with being a social animal.

Consider this:

It's a game. Ideally one in which we want to maximize activities and player potential for PvP contests. To do this as a nation we would want too:

Be at war with as many nations in our high pop time zone as possible to offer as much action to our high pop players as possible.

We would want to ally with nations populated during our low pop time to minimize empty port battles and Zerging against our low pop players.

We want to secure a an area for new players to train up and be useful.

So how do we achieve those? I'm going to use the USA as just an example because I happen to know the lay of the land there. The USA would ideally ally with Spain and war both Pirates and Great Britain. This works out for Spain as well since they also would want to ally USA to avoid off hour port battles and war both euro Brits and pirates.

But what do we see normally happen? Nations just ally with the strongest neighbor they can to try to "secure everything". And in doing so they minimize activities in the game.

Using the same USA example: if USA Allies to a Strong Britain or Pirate the following would most often occur. The USA would be fighting Spain in a ping pong battle of mostly empty battles. Which ever nation high pop time nation the USA didn't ally to will die off as it gets double teamed by the overwhelming force of the USA plus the other high pop nation. So you essentially get more off time PB ping pong, less prime time PvP.

I'm not sure how you would beat this effect but in a system lead by unbounded humans I'm going to bet you end up with them minimizing fun for security 9 choices out of 10.

I would say the USA allied with Britain because both countries were completely under the cosh and were on the back foot. Britain might be strong atm but not long ago it was the Pirates that had almost complete control in the west and the Danes controlled the east.  I would of said the 2 coalitions were about equal size total. Spain Pirates France Danes.  V   Britain Netherlands Sweden USA  biggest difference I seen was co-operation and planning on one side seemed a lot more organised than that on the other.

What if Pirate raids turned a town neutral/free?  :ph34r:

That could work. Some places, especially all along the coast from Panama to north Yucatan were rebuilt a dozen times following privateer and buccaneer raids.

• Like 1

What if Pirate raids turned a town neutral/free?  :ph34r:

I like this :o

but if nation want to cap that port again, who will defend it? pirate? or enemy nation or both pirate and enemy nation?

Edited by Nash
  • Like 1

What if Pirate raids turned a town neutral/free? :ph34r:

Exactly. :)

Exactly. In my perfect world if pirates raided a port that is owner was neglecting and letting it have poor defense and poor infrastructure then the inhabitants would be more likely after a large raid to declare its independence. Maybe even be a pirate friendly neutral untill a national player stops it.

This way pirates own nothing but could still be a threat and it would force nation players to keep up on thier ports. If they slacked off then there is gonna be a mess of bored pirates witing to step in.

Edited by Mrdoomed
  • Like 4

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15651-pirate-free-port-feature-tweek-to-help-game-conquest/?p=292392

Anybody could defend. Since everybody can put in buildings, small Nations and independents would benefit the most.

If ports had a stability rating and a port owner neglected it long enugh or allwed enough pirate activity for so long it would lose stabilization and that prt would then be open to letting pirates use it.

• Like 1

I like this :o

but if nation want to cap that port again, who will defense it? pirate? or enemy nation or both pirate and enemy nation?

I'd guess there will be no defender but hostility still has to be raised which may lead to a heavily contested piece of OW.

• Like 1

Dear fox2run,

While I unterstand the fact that you are not following your council decisions, entering the french TS and passing yourself for an ally of the french in order to gain insight is clearly an abuse, as such you are not welcomed on our TS and will be kicked out should you enter again.

Have a nice day

Well - I didnt enter anything. I was in a fight helping a group of french ships versus a group of US ships. The french players asked me to join their TS. So I did - and they put me down on their sub-forum as I had no permissions whatsoever. It didnt really matter at all becourse my mic didnt function. Fun to hear the french language in the midst of fight though.... Shortly after the fight a guy came up with all kind of arguments about me being a "rogue" etc... and then he asked me to leave otherwise he would kick me out... 

He told me he had talked to his danish friends and they too considered me "rogue". 

So I guess Im a persona non grata in these handfull of überclans trying to steer our game in their directions... This kind of group-gang-pressure its really something the devs should avoid with in-game mechanics IMO. 

I guess Im not the only player with these experiences... :-)

Well - I didnt enter anything. I was in a fight helping a group of french ships versus a group of US ships. The french players asked me to join their TS. So I did - and they put me down on their sub-forum as I had no permissions whatsoever. It didnt really matter at all becourse my mic didnt function. Fun to hear the french language in the midst of fight though.... Shortly after the fight a guy came up with all kind of arguments about me being a "rogue" etc... and then he asked me to leave otherwise he would kick me out... 

He told me he had talked to his danish friends and they too considered me "rogue". 

So I guess Im a persona non grata in these handfull of überclans trying to steer our game in their directions... This kind of group-gang-pressure its really something the devs should avoid with in-game mechanics IMO. 

I guess Im not the only player with these experiences... :-)

The guy was me. I got aware of your clan when one of my clan mate was attacked by a VGK the day before. I can send you the screen if you wish. So I went to the Danish diplomats, they told me you were the leader of the clan and that you did not follow the council decisions. The day after I see you on our TS. What was I supposed to do? Maybe this time you were fighting a Brit but what about tomorrow?

This is the very reason TS are restricted. and access filtered.

Edited by Tenakha Kan

Yeah - I really do not care about your home-made diplo-stuff. And I dont mind loosing access to your french-TS as I do not understand any of it anyway. 

I do not care about you or your small little kingdom in a TS-forum.

But I DO MIND the ability you have to lie about the whole thing. Its pretty upsetting. I was invited. I was not stating I was allied to anyone. I was just helping a group of players out versus another group of players. THEY came to me. Not the other way around. 

Dont worry. This will not happen again. Next time Ill better help the US-side - they seems a lot more friendly than you... And if I meet one of your traders it will be a nice economical boost to my small, little peacefull clan... ;-)

Yeah - I really do not care about your home-made diplo-stuff. And I dont mind loosing access to your french-TS as I do not understand any of it anyway.

I do not care about you or your small little kingdom in a TS-forum.

But I DO MIND the ability you have to lie about the whole thing. Its pretty upsetting. I was invited. I was not stating I was allied to anyone. I was just helping a group of players out versus another group of players. THEY came to me. Not the other way around.

Dont worry. This will not happen again. Next time Ill better help the US-side - they seems a lot more friendly than you... And if I meet one of your traders it will be a nice economical boost to my small, little peacefull clan... ;-)

You have said over and over to the point of nauseum that you hate the new voting system where players vote allies and enemies and now you say you dont like the players making friends on thier own to tey and win.

Can you please enlighten us as how you see diplomacy working ? Everything you say and now seem to do is just wanting total chaos and everyone to hate everyone.

Seems really like a poor system to me.

• Like 3

You were invited by French players, it's true. What is also true if that you would not have been invited if these players were aware that you attack french ships also. It's just common sense. The guys that came to you asking for help, they did it for one reason => DIPLOMACY. They know they can count on the Danes to help them as the Danes know they can count on us because we work together. Why did you agree to join the same guys you were attacking the day before, what is the logic?

As for me, I have no kingdom on the forum, or on TS, I'm just one guy in the game that happen to speak english and is part of the council. I'm not even part of the largest french clan and not an admin on the TS.

And if I meet one of your traders it will be a nice economical boost to my small, little peacefull clan... ;-)

How is that different from what you were doing before?

The difference is that the french nation is now aware that they should kill on sight every VGK they encounter.

Edited by Tenakha Kan
  • Like 1

Its so funny with these players talking on other players behalf. 

"Kill on sight" - lol. I know some nice persons in the french nations who I will never attack. And maybe so the other way around.... 

Let me tell you about this game. You see: All nations is at war with all nations. Meaning that all players pretty much can attack all players from other nations. Thats the game as is. No ifs, no buts. Its in-game mechanics.

Furthermore you can join any battle as a 3rd party. I can be a french versus US (dont worry - this wont happen again - my mistake), I can be a british versus the pirates, a pirate versus the swedes, a US versus the spanish etc. of my own choosing.

This playstyle have given me a lot of good time with different players which is keen to ask me to join their TS when a fight or a hunt occurs. It has been really fun playing like this in a more free role within the limits of this game. 

As a D-N player any and each of this fight has destroying some of our nations enemies that being pirates, swedish, french, british, dutch, spanish and US. 

Enemy losses which is good for my nation.

However this playstyle do not accept the fact that some players dictate me who to join in a battle. What to do in this game. And especially not those few, powermongering players who like to rule stuff. Players like yourself. But you know what? You can do all the stuff you like. You still cannot rule me or how I like to play the game. Hopefully the next screenshot you take of my ship is surrounded by burning, french wrecks!

Edited by fox2run

You have said over and over to the point of nauseum that you hate the new voting system where players vote allies and enemies and now you say you dont like the players making friends on thier own to tey and win.

Can you please enlighten us as how you see diplomacy working ? Everything you say and now seem to do is just wanting total chaos and everyone to hate everyone.

Seems really like a poor system to me.

I did not hate the voting-system. I stated that one player (customer) should have one vote. No one should be favoured. And especially not the leaders of über-clans that argues for at lot of benefits FOR THEMSELVES in this forum. (More votes to higher ranks/owner of ports - that kind of crap). And regarding diplomacy - look above. ;-) 

Edited by fox2run

[..] No one should be favoured. And especially not the leaders of über-clans that argues for at lot of benefits FOR THEMSELVES in this forum. (More votes to higher ranks/owner of ports - that kind of crap). And regarding diplomacy - look above. ;-) 

I think you are projecting what your own motivations for "ruling" and diplomacy are on those "über" clan leaders. I think most of the actual clan leaders would agree the job is crap and the whole player diplomacy thing is a drag.

But maybe it is me who is projecting here.

• Like 5

And especially not the leaders of über-clans that argues for at lot of benefits FOR THEMSELVES in this forum.

I agree with you on that, In my mind, every clan of a nation either big or small should participate in decision making. Its not easy, we had a lot of talk on this matter in the french council, we had some clashes with clans deciding to go rogue because they felt they were not being listened to.

I am part of the Council yet I'm not the leader of my clan nor part of the biggest clan of the french nation. To be listened, you need to speak out in a constructive manner or you will not be heard.

As for what snoopy said, he is correct. The job is crap. Everyone comes to you seeking answers and whatever you say someone will be upset. As a diplomat it's even worst, if your guys get upset, they'll act on their own, if they do, for exemple Rosaly and Terre de Bas, then you get yelled at even more because the other nations are yelling at you also.

Most of us will have our holidays with the diplomacy patch. Much less trouble for us

Edited by Tenakha Kan
  • Like 2

I think you are projecting what your own motivations for "ruling" and diplomacy are on those "über" clan leaders. I think most of the actual clan leaders would agree the job is crap and the whole player diplomacy thing is a drag.

But maybe it is me who is projecting here.

I really agree with you that the player-made diplo-stuff is indeed crap. That is what I have been stating all the time. Hope the new in-gaming mechanics make leaders step down and let people play their own game... too much mongering and crap follows it.... So we agree completely. I have no motivation to rule whatsoever and Ive made a clan in the nation I play as a free-heaven for those players that lke the flag but not like to be ruled by others. All are officers and all are equal. I like democracy, you see... ;-)

• Like 1

Dear fox2run,

While I unterstand the fact that you are not following your council decisions, entering the french TS and passing yourself for an ally of the french in order to gain insight is clearly an abuse, as such you are not welcomed on our TS and will be kicked out should you enter again.

Have a nice day

dear tenakha,

While i understand the fact that you are not the admin of the french nation's TS, and not really the king of the french nation, it will be nice to let us invite any one that we want to invite on the ts without switching or kicking it..

If an other nation member wants to come and talk to us he his welcome even if he his an opposite in the game.. I don't think we need to talk about the ones that are invited.

Please don't forget that this is just a game, and it's not because some of the players are not following their "council" that they not real players.. 

So next time you see someone talking with an FRL, just stay far of the chan.

Regards..

Edited by horail

His clan attacked an ACR, I got confirmation front the Danes it was not a mistake. I saw him on the TS, moved him to talk to him, his mic was not working, he left. I did not kick him.

If you wish to support those who attack us just let me know.

Moreover rvr channels are of limit to non allied players.

We don't use nation chat to share rvr information because of spying.

If we let anyone roaming free on the TS what's the point?

We'll talk about that on ts.

Edited by Tenakha Kan