Game-Labs Forum

Diplomacy may not be a good idea

fox2run

To be honest all this home-made diplomacy is killing the game experience for many gamers. If you like to play the game as is from box then you get bashed on the forums in-game. Ive experienced people get kicked from clans, coupped from clans and stressed out becourse of the powermongering by leading clan-members. I think you guys really should consider if this is the way the game should be played. Luckily not all clans are into this and in most nations it is perhaps still possible to find free-playing clans. I think the devs should be aware on this topic as the climate can be poisoned on the nation chats. 

What I experienced was the following: 

1) fun to get into with missions and pvp-duels with that little free cutter!

2) you get into a clan becourse you like to share game with others

3) the clan use a lot of effort to get into PBs

4) as newcomer you wasted a lot of time "screening" as they called it. Rarely you saw any action.

5) ganking was for us instead - more action at least - but the clan got divided about it.

6) the casual officers got kicked from the clan - even some of the founders - one was almost shocked on TS... that guys real life was affected - he will never play again!

7) the diplomatic talks (that being pretty few gamers speaking with eachother on other players behalf) ended up in alliances with pirate nation - that has taken I dont know how many of my ships... I disagreed and after some discussions - was kicked out as I got sceptical about the projekt.

8) I started a new clan for more relaxed players without diplomacy at all - but from time to other get bashed by the leading clans and their members for "destroying the nation" or "not doing the common best" or "you should be a priate" or "you are not in the right nation" etc...

9) I now play more silence and without TS - my clan is growing wth players who has similar experiences as me. ...

These kind of experiences is not good for anyone and maybe its time to rethink the whole diplomatic aspect. Maybe not having clans at all or maybe use some kind of automatic system where you join a team or something...

• Like 2

then i would say you have or chosen the wrong nation or the wrong game. and personally this should be part of general discussion not NN. but take also in account the first itteration of the Diplo patch will be next month and Diplomacy is not the easiest thing to implement in a game because of the many aspects.

and yet you need to get a healthy playerbase or else i would suggest go take a look at USA PVP2 which is way worse than PVP 1(everybody have a sustainable economy via treaty or ports)

http://vps9712.ervers.com/map/pvp2/

Edited by pietjenoob
  • Like 5

Yeah - it is my mistake - mine alone... never heard that one before  :P

I play the game from box - as is. And yet you are saying I chosed the wrong game??? Those diplo-guys are die-harders indeed.  :blink:

You keep saying you play the game from the box.... the thread header is about diplomacy  ....yet all your posting about is your bad experience with joining clans ....???

If you have a growing clan with members who follow the same ideals, I would say you have a successful track going.

In fact it speaks for the existence of clans, not against it.

Hopefully those problems will be gone at the full game release. Diplo will be for nations while pirates for free minds like yourself. This is more or less how it was in the real life at least.

I dont think you get my point... at least not all of it. It must be possible to join a nation without few players has to rule things - it has to be controlled by in game mechanics - its not good when some players has "better" opinions than others and are trying to control entire nations in game. (That being outsie their clans). 

Is this about social aspect of the game or about the box coded mechanics about Diplomacy ?

Get your bearing captain :)

It goes two ways. The coding should trying to avoid this social power-mongering. It could be with a system that auto-enabled wars or something - out of gamers hand. It would make a better gaming xp in my book.

Ah ! But you know, voting rights won't come cheap.

A player will have to prove himself in the heat of combat to win the right to vote.

I bet my left hook and the old parrot on my shoulder most of the "power gamer" captains won't even get close to the mark.

Stand fast sir. Join a freebooter life. Be a honest pirate.

• Like 4

I think you are commenting on the developers suggestions of the diplomacy with war decs, alliances and peace treaties being run by the so called "Lords" or l33t PVP-ers?

To be honest, I think in the end, it will even have me going pirate.  ;)

• Like 3

I dont think you get my point... at least not all of it. It must be possible to join a nation without few players has to rule things - it has to be controlled by in game mechanics - its not good when some players has "better" opinions than others and are trying to control entire nations in game. (That being outsie their clans). 

It goes two ways. The coding should trying to avoid this social power-mongering. It could be with a system that auto-enabled wars or something - out of gamers hand. It would make a better gaming xp in my book.

You are free to do whatever you like! Nobody can force you to stop sabotaging your clans or nations efforts. However actions have consequences and if you can't handle those consequences perhaps you should rethink your actions?

Apparently you believe yourself to be beyond criticism, guess what, you're not!

• Like 4

I think you are commenting on the developers suggestions of the diplomacy with war decs, alliances and peace treaties being run by the so called "Lords" or l33t PVP-ers?

To be honest, I think in the end, it will even have me going pirate.  ;)

Bless the Carronade chest sized Mermaids, he is actually considering it !!!

Huzzah boyz ! A new curse is coming to the high seas !

• Like 5

You are free to do whatever you like! Nobody can force you to stop sabotaging your clans or nations efforts. However actions have consequences and if you can't handle those consequences perhaps you should rethink your actions?

Apparently you believe yourself to be beyond criticism, guess what, you're not!

"Stop sabotaging", "Consequenses", "Cant handle those", "rethink your actions" - guess you just underline my points, pretty much here.

Edited by fox2run
  • Like 1

This game is sandbox. So deal with it. No damn in game coded restricions. Take your ship captain and do what you want. Dont look back on what other people think about you. Like you said there are already members arround you who think same. Grow up, get strong in numbers and force your right within your nation.

Or switch nation/clan.

Or leave. ( sorry to say it but simply maybe you dont understand how mmo, sandbox, pvp games works ... )

It`s so tiresome to read all this unecessary whining ( well, sorry thats how i see it ), about such trivial things ... If somebody in my clan force me to do something i dont like i leave it, create my own or join other.

Social aspect in this game is very important, and thats what diplomacy will bring! Lots of social possibilities and opportunities. Cant wait.

But you know. Nothing for free.

Let the wind be with you o7 :ph34r:

• Like 1

Situation is actually complicated for every "Play as you want" clan at the moment.

But i think, that if your clan contact a nation and inform them your will to fight or not you will (in most case) find a solution for your clan.

Which nation are you playing ?

I think the vast majority of players enjoy the home made diplomacy, no one forces you to do anything in this game and no one can make you play any other way than how you want to. 

However if you join a clan then of course you are restricted to play within the clan rules.

Reading your post I think you were simply in a clan that did not suit your gaming requirements be patient do some home work and find the right clan and nation to suit your needs. Then enjoy the game.

• Like 1

"Stop whining", "leave", "deal with it"

say no more

Yup. I may be harsh, but that`s how it goes. You were in clan that doesnt suit you and instead of switching clan/nation and focus on having fun, you come here and try to force some restricion mechanics in sandbox game ...

No sympathy for you from me.

I think the vast majority of players enjoy the home made diplomacy, no one forces you to do anything in this game and no one can make you play any other way than how you want to. 

However if you join a clan then of course you are restricted to play within the clan rules.

Reading your post I think you were simply in a clan that did not suit your gaming requirements be patient do some home work and find the right clan and nation to suit your needs. Then enjoy the game.

Exactly. Instead he comes and post such "cry me a river" topic at national news ( hint: it should be in suggestion subforum ). He needs attention and patting on the back?

Don´t be so hard on fox2 run.

He made a statement, but fell short advocating a solution.

I feel, his topic more fits in here...

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/13454-harassment-in-na/

Many have made the same experience.

As TS3 is and cannot be "regulated" by the Devs, you are "open" to any toxic behaviour there.

As TS3 is a necessary requirement for any so called "competetive" clan (no PB would be won without), there are only 2 choices for any player:

1. you want to take part in RvR ? = clan essential = follow their rules = toxic actions possible

2. no RvR and no PB ? = you are free to play PvP or PvE = no TS3 = controlled environment

So, either way you put it.

It is not very likely to get a player-friendly controlled environment at a clan trying to "win the map". 

You cannot get everything.

Don´t expect any participation in PB.

You are not welcome as a casual, you are susceptible of "spying".

So, no one can solve this issue by "regulating" it.

As a pirate, it provides the perfect environment for a non-RvR play-style

---------------

8) I started a new clan for more relaxed players without diplomacy at all - but from time to other get bashed

by the leading clans and their members for "destroying the nation" or "not doing the common best" or "you should be a priate"

or "you are not in the right nation" etc...

9) I now play more silence and without TS - my clan is growing wth players who has similar experiences as me. ...

----------------

What clan are you in ? 

May I participate ?

Edited by Wilson09

In the end the clans decide. They are the ones doing the portbattles/claiming territory. What I would like to see is a better way to convey a nations policy to all players - in game. As far as I know this will be adressed in the new patch or the next one after that..

• Like 1

Any clan is free to decide their own rules for their clan members and how they stand in relation to other clans. You didn't like how your clan was operating and so you left your old clan and made a new one, which you are totally free to do. All of the latest diplomacy and meta-game takes into account that not all clans of a nation can be bothered with the meta-game or want to play the game cooperatively.

The only flak you have been getting in Danmark chat, to my knowledge, is for flaming those players of the faction that do want to play have the meta-game, and do like to cooperate across clans and nations, and don't leave clan-mates behind in battle. You and your clan is free to play the game as you like, without diplomacy and without ports. I seem to remember however, that this is not what you wanted to do. You wanted to decide that we should have different alliances and different enemies, against the wishes of the majority of clans in the faction. 

• Like 5

I got kicked as I had a different point of view. That is correct. But that is still not my point here. My point will be - in the end - that clanmechanics and few clanleaders shouldnt be allowed to affect the overall gameplay as they do now. PBs could be a good example. How come that the game is so heavy that you cannot participate in one of the funniest aspects without being a hard-core player? There must be some ways to deal with these issues. Maybe you could acces PBs from menus so that no TS is required, etc...

If this game has to suceed, the devs need to take measures to make it fun for the average gamer. They are the most.

I wont comment on the flaming-accusations of yours, as Im met with these kind of attacks in nation chat on an everyday level. Even when Im trying to get new members to my non-diplomatic relaxed-clan. ;-) 

If you're only on about game mechanics, then you are definitely posting this topic in the wrong forum. And you should make your point clear in your OP. As it is now it seems you are only complaining about the way other players play the game. 

PS. God, I hope devs don't cater too much to the casual gamers. They may be in the majority, but they are not the ones who stick around for years to play a simulator sandbox.

And as long as Port Battles cannot be played in a lossless fashion, jumping into big battles without Teamspeak, and without being willing to cooperate with other players, is not going to be popular with the other players who do like to organise and like to win.

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 6

PBs should be for all! Also for the players you apparently dislike - or at least will have the devs to ignore... That way more would enjoy the game... ;-)

Then create flag, organize fleet and invite people to have fun with you.

Dont whine that clans are ruining everything. They not. They actually create content! And im damn casual player im saying this!

Want fun? Create one! It`s damn sandbox. Do it by yourself!

• Like 2

PBs should be for all! Also for the players you apparently dislike - or at least will have the devs to ignore... That way more would enjoy the game... ;-)

PBs are not designed to be for all.

Take it as it is. 

Succesful PB runs can only be done with a degree of organization, time management, planning and, of course TS3.

If you are not willing to invest into this sort of gaming, PBs are nothing for you...