Game-Labs Forum

Limiting communication

unfortunately by limiting your in game communications you put the average/solo player at a natural disadvantage to anyone playing in a group. 3rd party voice comms are pretty common place and would be used by most guilds/societies.

I like the idea of historical methods of communicating but it may need to be added as an atmospheric rather than a hardcoded restriction. that or make it relevant to the control of AI ships in a squadron where you need to raise the signals correctly or something.

• Like 1

So I know that a lot of ship to ship communications back in the age of sail was flags, and I also believe (not sure) that fire works were used a few times.

In PVP, would it be acceptable to limit communications to represent the actual period where trying to coordinate dozens of man o wars was actually rather difficult?

In this day and age most groups or groups of friends communicate with a VOIP program (TS3, Skype etc). So limiting the game itself is really irrelevant. While it might be challenging or realistic its a moot point in the end.

I agree with Flip and chappy; as interesting as it may be for some of us to limit communication, for the majority of the playerbase it would be an unnecessary restriction that would be invariably circumvented via third-party means (as it likely will to begin with, but at least it isn't strategically mandatory).  A poor communication structure can be devastating to a game's reputation.

• 2 weeks later...

Most people playing as a team with friends will be in voice comms anyway.. so kind of pointless limiting it in game.

Not pointless at all, if done right. TS3-support, whispers and global chat should be in the game of course. But restricting local chat with strangers immediately adds an intetesting fog of war dynamic. No shouting "friendly!" from the horizon like.in DayZ.

yeah team speak will be here and other communications,,however there nothing wrong with haveing a few flags to communicate intentions quickly when one happens on another player in the middle of nowhere,,and no time to type in chat,,so we do need a few flags to indicate intentions.

• Like 3

I like that idea (ran out of 'Like This' quota!), and think it would work well within a set framework - there are maybe 20 or so standard commands/responses that would be useful and doable. I imagine selecting your command from a clickable/hot-key menu, and then seeing the flags go up aloft. It would then be for you to look out for a response from the other vessel. It'd be nice if this was the main way to communicate with NPC vessels, and could well end up being used as a useful shorthand between players as well. Half genuine mechanic, half eye-candy, all to the good to player experience :)

Baggy

• Like 1

Voice attack is essentially voice activated macros which can spawn a keyboard sequence of almost any length. So if for example a signal hoist by flags were to be 14 different flags and 14 different keys or combinations then you programme that sequence into it with a voice command of say "Prepare to tack in sequence two points to port".

Disclaimer.... I have absolutely NO connection to Voice Attack other than that I am a huge fan. You can download a limited free trial version at www.voiceattack.com and back a few months when I bought the full version it was 8$ US which is a ridiculously low price for such a great piece of software IMHO.

• Like 1