Game-Labs Forum

Disconnect to hide/Reconnect for surprise exploit

This suggestion is in reference to some posts about enemy disconnecting to hide then choosing to reconnect at specific times, such as in front of a port battle when a spy informs your enemy of your planned attack.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15171-serious-exploit-again/

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15176-serious-game-exploits-and-forum-moderator-abuse/

I've suggested this before: Set a disconnect timer that after about 3-4 minutes of being offline you are automatically teleported to your nation's nearest port or the nearest Free Port. Maybe the 4 minutes needs adjusted, but this seems to happen way too often. I understand the devs have the Invulnerable/Cannot Attack times, but this does not prevent them from entering PBs that have longer open times than PvP battles.

There is no reason this cannot be fixed to punish those who purposely hide by disconnect.

• Like 3

So, I attack an enemy trader near mortimer town and capture a gros venture full of goods.  I take command of the gros venture and send my rattlesnake back to La Tortue.  I load up the Gros Venture with all the gold and silver that I captured.  I log out of the game from the battle screen.  4 minutes later, 10 minutes later, or an hour or more later I come back and I am all of a sudden teleported to La Tortue out of danger where I can then use the delivery system to move the goods?

Or say Pirates post a blockade around Charleston.  To get past the blockade, I just have to get out of eye sight of the pirates, log out, and I am magically teleported into charleston with a hold full of goods?  Now if I wanted to use the teleport option, I'd have to destroy my goods.  But instead, I can just log out of the game and 10 minutes later come back and be teleported?

Also, what the players in the "tribunal" describe isn't an exploit and or an abuse.  There is no way to tell for sure if someone is logging out to 1. avoid combat, 2. to pre-stage a battle, 3. because they have to do real life stuff, or 4. if they have to go to the bathroom of all things.

• Like 4

I really don't know how this rumor started, but this simply did not happen. The British first rate fleet left from Haiti en route to Puerto Escondido, and no ships saw us most of the way there. However, ask the players known as [sORRY] Commodore Clay and [CAZA] EL LOCO, as they both saw the British fleet approaching the coast of Cuba. 

We also had very good wind the whole way from Haiti, so much so that even we were surprised we made it there in the time that we did.

I don't mean to start a rage-fest, but false accusations of exploits are a bit annoying.

Also, the misuse of Tribunal is also disruptive.

• Like 3

So, I attack an enemy trader near mortimer town and capture a gros venture full of goods.  I take command of the gros venture and send my rattlesnake back to La Tortue.  I load up the Gros Venture with all the gold and silver that I captured.  I log out of the game from the battle screen.  4 minutes later, 10 minutes later, or an hour or more later I come back and I am all of a sudden teleported to La Tortue out of danger where I can then use the delivery system to move the goods?

Or say Pirates post a blockade around Charleston.  To get past the blockade, I just have to get out of eye sight of the pirates, log out, and I am magically teleported into charleston with a hold full of goods?  Now if I wanted to use the teleport option, I'd have to destroy my goods.  But instead, I can just log out of the game and 10 minutes later come back and be teleported?

Also, what the players in the "tribunal" describe isn't an exploit and or an abuse.  There is no way to tell for sure if someone is logging out to 1. avoid combat, 2. to pre-stage a battle, 3. because they have to do real life stuff, or 4. if they have to go to the bathroom of all things.

I certainly see those new exploits that could come of an auto tele when disconnect. But perhaps we need to weigh which exploit is worse? Btw, if an entire nation needs to log off to go to the bathroom at the exact same time at the exact same location by the exact same premonition to defend a future PB, then I'd say these people could make millions with a tv show of their own. :D

Maaybe the teleport should be automatic to the point of origin? Anyway, it is rather annoying to see 10 ppl guarding a port and right in the middle of planting the flag, 10 more ppl just appear and it blows your BP and flag planting is interrupted.

I really don't know how this rumor started, but this simply did not happen. The British first rate fleet left from Haiti en route to Puerto Escondido, and no ships saw us most of the way there. However, ask the players known as [sORRY] Commodore Clay and [CAZA] EL LOCO, as they both saw the British fleet approaching the coast of Cuba. 

We also had very good wind the whole way from Haiti, so much so that even we were surprised we made it there in the time that we did.

I don't mean to start a rage-fest, but false accusations of exploits are a bit annoying.

I'm not pointing any fingers, especially at you, as I play on PvP2. But this happens on our server just before PBs.

Edited by Cpt Blackthorne

Is posible activate a lock to enter in port battles for ship who go online in the open sea? If you want to enter in a PB you must go to free or friend port to deactivate this lock and then sail to the PB place.

This can avoid this xploit or dirty trick and no bring other drawback. But I don't know if is posible for game mechanics to make this lock.

• Like 2

Is posible activate a lock to enter in port battles for ship who go online in the open sea? If you want to enter in a PB you must go to free or friend port to deactivate this lock and then sail to the PB place.

This can avoid this xploit or dirty trick and no bring other drawback. But I don't know if is posible for game mechanics to make this lock.

This is a very interesting idea. It would require player blogs to be stored, I'd imagine. 

I agree with Blackthorne , theres always cheaters that exploit any loophole found , the only thing worse is making excuses or lying about it .

Personally, I can't consider them cheaters, as this exploit is available to all. But I was just hoping there would be solutions to solve this.

Is this a kids game or somewhat an adult game ? Does everything need to be set in rules so tight that u cant really do something different then others. Login Traps are common in most games

Personally i do not like the PB lock game, it messes with the freedom of the game, I doesn't allow any more tactical game play.

What happens when a person disconnects for whatever reason, bad internet, RL issues, others, does his PB Lock get reset and does he or she need to run back to a NPC port and reset the pb lock ?

This "game mechanic / feature" is only viable for the fleet, not for the flag carrier. The carrier still needs to travel from a nation port to the destination port with all risks involved, now imo whenever there is a flag being pulled u have up to an hour and 45 minutes to get there and enter the battle, if u cant manage that then there is something u need to change.

If u or your spais do not see a fleet or the Yellow flag Carrier moving over a great distance from one island to another for deep or regional ports then there is something seriously wrong with your nation.

Most likely u are over extended your grip of a region and those ports are just empty ones (this will get fixed in the future)

If u cannot be in time for a port defense as its still open for 45 minutes then u better get some outpost tactically placed so u don't have to travel that far

(More outposts are needed then the standard 6 that u may get. A resourcer cannot get all the outposts a pvper can have, its a choice yes but still for massive land grabs u need more outposts so people may TP more easily to a section and defend, or it is all part of the dev plan and people just need to HTFU and deal with it)

Personally i would let this Game feature in the game it will teach people to take it more seriously and setup tactically around there Empire, the ones who fail or dont care get punished.

Edited by SoulPYTHON

I think we should leave Port Battles (and British "exploiters" :P ) out of the discussion. PBs are going to change (Brits never will :D ).

We should focus on login and Battle Screen traps.

Edited by Skully
  • Like 1

I wasn't in the fleet but I was eyes for it to the West....on TS all the time and all I can say is this.

There was an attack (4th rate) on Portillo..opportunistic...as we had too many for our main attack. It went first to draw Spanish attention.

The main fleet did not come from Cuba, it came from Haita and approached as if coming more from St Nic than say St Anne.

At least two pirates saw the fleet. It had excellent wind and took less than 15 mins to get to port.

AT NO TIME WAS THERE A LOGOFF, FAKE COMBAT or ANY OTHER MELARKIE.

Sometimes ya just get done.

• Like 2

The problem is also a bit that sometimes you get logged out unintentionaly (by the game or your internet connection, we all had this) so any penalty you put on this will also influence the people who have this already frustrating bug happening to them.

Also the ships popping up on your horizon seem to be very close all of a sudden, they just pop in much closer as you might expect especialy when you can clearly see land in the background or the shape of a port, you don't expect the ships that are closer to you to pop in later. Some of this might be confused with fleets "logging in".

• Like 1

How about introducing a random drift on those who are out of port offline?

Interesting idea. the longer they are offline the further they drift away in some random direction. I likey.

The problem is also a bit that sometimes you get logged out unintentionaly (by the game or your internet connection, we all had this) so any penalty you put on this will also influence the people who have this already frustrating bug happening to them.

Also the ships popping up on your horizon seem to be very close all of a sudden, they just pop in much closer as you might expect especialy when you can clearly see land in the background or the shape of a port, you don't expect the ships that are closer to you to pop in later. Some of this might be confused with fleets "logging in".

Losing connection is a rarity. It is extremely easy for devs to see who requested the disconnect command and who simply lost connection. It is also extremely easy for devs to see who "seems" to lose connection all the time at precisely the PB or gank location.

I don't notice NPC ships all of a sudden popping out. I notice them really tiny and then increasing as they near. And it is very different from that as opposed to me sitting next to my buddies outside in a horseshoe formation at a port blockade and then all of a sudden there are 10 enemy appearing in our formation. Now you ask, could they have been in a battle and just popped out? Certainly. But if you pay attention, the enemy NPC ship they were in battle with will sail out of the port you are blockading or if they could not kill it, it will appear in OW with them.. Neither happened. So they were not in a player PvP.

t even we were surprised we made it there in the time that we did.

Welcome to the Our world of being a Pirate and all are accused of doing what a few did....