Game-Labs Forum

Stop AFK Fishing ??

Love the new patch.

Not sure I like AFK anything.

First off, in the past when Mrs J called me through to I dunno interact or something, I would just log off, now I leave the computer to fish then auto log me off. So I am no innocent.

However fundamentally you shouldnt be able to gain anything beyond 'regen' (labour hours) by being AFK !!

So maybe...perhaps...no fishing (or diminishing returns) if you are stationary for more than X minutes and same rule for a rudder hard left/hard right setup.

(ducks as many smell cod are flung his way).

• Like 1

I love afk fishing because its so many more easy targets for my renommee and trinc to find and then i get goodies from their captured boat! please expand afk fishing by taking away the log off timer.

I am actually sort of with this....also expand AFK fishing by not having any fish in the 'green zone' due to pollution.

• Like 1

I think it would be more fun if handled in another way than simply logging people out. 

ANY AFK sailing > 10 min, and enemy admiralty posts a special mission in near ports.

"

That KrakkenSmacken was last seen 40 miles NWW of [some port] Heading NWW

If you can kill capture that ship admiralty will give you a fat reward.

"

If your sitting and spinning, your food.  If your on a long trip, you could get harassed on route.

• Like 1

Here are my thoughts on fishing:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15056-gone-fishing-hang-a-sign-up-on-the-door-gone-fishing-we-aint-pvping-anymore/?p=279118

It was a brilliant move by admin. A couple of weeks we were complaining about AFK sailing and the world being empty, now everybody is sitting on Open World and it looks "alive". :P

It does mean we go to whatever lengths to capture a Trader Lynx. Even if you insist you don't have any bottles and Mrs J really needs you. ;)

Ah I think I have misunderstood admin's words on fishing in protected zones.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14945-npcs-stores-fish-meat-consumption-25k-limit-and-idle-fishing/?p=277480

We need to raise it again as a bug.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14945-npcs-stores-fish-meat-consumption-25k-limit-and-idle-fishing/?p=277476

What really is happening is that people don't realize the full benefit of fishing. You should all be figuring out trading routes and keep fishing on the side as a bonus. :D

Join Tobbies Tobacco Imperium: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15026-pvp1-july-tobbies-tobacco-imperium/

PS. Thanks for the fish (and Lynx) at Ruatan port, I was hoping for a bottle.

You may find the reason so many people are AFK fishing is the cost of crew replacements.

Noticed last night there were nearly 600 people on PVP1 but only 75 battles being waged.

Previously i would see 300 people & 200 battles.

I believe some of the fishing fleets are just fed up with the ridiculous crew cost mechanic & are opting for the easier chance of a bottle.

Last night I went into 2 x 169 mission battles - lost 100 crew in each against an AI that only lost 30 crew.

Until this mechanic is fixed, I think you will find a lot less battles than should be expected.

Nerf the crew replacement costs so people can actually play the game before the devs kill it.

• Like 1

You may find the reason so many people are AFK fishing is the cost of crew replacements.

Noticed last night there were nearly 600 people on PVP1 but only 75 battles being waged.

Previously i would see 300 people & 200 battles.

I believe some of the fishing fleets are just fed up with the ridiculous crew cost mechanic & are opting for the easier chance of a bottle.

Last night I went into 2 x 169 mission battles - lost 100 crew in each against an AI that only lost 30 crew.

Until this mechanic is fixed, I think you will find a lot less battles than should be expected.

Nerf the crew replacement costs so people can actually play the game before the devs kill it.

Or stockpiling supplies like I am to build Medkits in all my outposts so I dont worry about crew replacement costs. The problem is that AI inflicts insane numbers of crew kills because it NEVER misses.. every volley kills 1-5 guys it seems like.

I tested a couple times with a Bellona before the crew costs kicked in... doing double the hull damage to an AI Bellona compared to what I received.. I lost 2.5-4 times the crew the AI did.. just running side my side exchanging broadsides..  I sank him but was down 100-150 crew to his 30-40 crew this is repeatable or was 2 weeks ago

Edited by CaptVonGunn

Yep......Something is SCREWED UP.  AI does insane damage to crew and AI has insane accuracy. Now throw in the whole sugar/rum/Med Kit "feature" and we cannot make enough gold to replace crew that we lose if we run missions.  Are we being FORCED to do PVP????   I get real suspicious when there are so many "coincidences" that line up.  It makes it look like the Developers are trying to steer the game play in a direction they want it to go.  In other words they have a fixed idea on how they think the game should be played and to hell with what the players want to do, "You Vill Play The Vay Ve Vant You To, Or Ve Vill Make It Impossible For You To Play". Dunno....when we get no explanations and there are these "coincidences" my paranoia creeps in. 

This is the same sort of thing that happened in EVE. The Developers wanted less mission running and less of the mining/ship building/trading stuff going on so they kept "adjusting" the game to favor the ganking/pirate/PVP players that it became almost impossible to play unless you played the way the Devs wanted the game to be played.  I sure hope that does not happen here. 

Edited by Tacticus
  • Like 2

Passed so many Pirates yesterday in my nearly overloaded trader but all where busy with fishing and too lazy to realize that a much more profitable booty just has slipped through their grappling hooks  :P

#likeafkfishing

I love the new fishing part of the game.  However, it's a game and if you aint playing then you shouldn't be getting anything.  Regeneration is different.  So...my suggestion is if you want to allow people to stay fishing while not actually playing the game, how about just changing the color of their identity to a big fat bold red showing they are AFK if there's no keystrokes in a 5 minutes or so?  This identifies them as a clear target.  It makes it more risky, so they have more chance to lose something.

• Like 1

Tacticus: hotfixes are still being deployed, most likely crew prices will be adjusted slightly, just hold your horses until then.

People haven't figured the full mechanic yet. Anyway, if the patches are going through we might as well spoil the movie:

1. Markets are catching up, if you do the math crew replacements are real cheap.
  2. Sell a ship, get crew. There you go, genie is out of the bottle.